Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
What Do You Want Out of Religion? Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

MidnightLetter
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:28 am
What does having a religion mean to you? More importantly what is your purpose in having a religion or spiritual practice? Do you even consider your practices to be a religion?

Inquiring minds want to know!!  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:36 pm
MidnightLetter
What does having a religion mean to you?

For me, it means being extra aware/conscious of my actions and my attitudes. Was I aware of those things before? Of course. Having my faith prompts me to approach things differently in some cases, and I like that.
Quote:
More importantly what is your purpose in having a religion or spiritual practice?

I felt called wink . I'm not entirely sure what my purpose is at the moment, but I'm sure my gods know!  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

RubyLight

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:59 pm
MidnightLetter
What does having a religion mean to you? More importantly what is your purpose in having a religion or spiritual practice? Do you even consider your practices to be a religion?

Inquiring minds want to know!!

For me, religion means being in contact with the divine. The practices help me be more concious of my actions and live with discipline. My purpose is to serve my God and contribute to mankind in a positive way.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:13 pm
I suppose one of the initial intent was to prevent me from getting to fixated on an empirical view of the universe as the sole model for explaining everything. I've gravitated towards hard science since I was young, but also had strong fantastical imaginings at the same time. Since society encourages you to throw fantasy/magic away as you age, I felt that I was loosing a part of myself as I became more educated. Having this Path which prompts a more intuitive and holistic understanding of the world has helped me to keep that fantasy-loving part of myself intact.

I suppose that doesn't exactly answer the question, but it's what came to mind, at any rate. I do consider my practice to be religion, but I'm also not one to make that odd distinction between "religion" and "spirituality" that many in this country do.  

Starlock

Rainbow Holocaust

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:49 pm
I have a hard time devoting myself to anything, but I look for kindof a peace of mind. Contentment. Something that makes me feel as a whole with the world. Lately I have been feeling more connected to nature, out of nowhere.

It started with bugs, actually. I had this strange urge to put crumbs out for the ants so they could have more food for the winter. There is more beyond our physical perception, and it's not too hard to find your way to it. I just want to understand my feelings and connections, and I want to just find that peace!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:13 pm
I don't have a purpose in having a religion. I wasn't under the impression that anyone did, really. I figured people just believed and then found a religion that worked for them. Seems kinda odd to go into it with a goal in mind, but that's just me. Maybe everyone does and I'm just odd.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

whiporwill-o

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:19 pm
having a religion doesn't really mean anything to me, just as not having a religion means nothing special to an atheist. i dont really have a 'purpose' for having a religion, sometimes i even wonder if i can even call what i believe a religion. for me, i just believe what i believe, i do not believe in it for rewards or 'eternal life' even to fill a void, i just can't help but believe what i believe, though i do alter my beliefs based on proven fact, be it scientific or historical, for one cannot grow if they remain stagnant.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:15 pm
I choose to have a religion because...well...when I try to leave it and go to any other religion, I feel lost...like a little bottle cap in a sea full of malicious bottle caps. Helpless, hopeless, maaan I sound pathetic. You see? Without my religion, I'm pathetic. sad and I don't even really know what my religion is. I used to be Catholic and I've always liked spellcraft. My basic philosophy would probably be, do all things unto God. Do spellcraft unto God, eat unto God, fall down the stairs unto God. Everything unto Him and I see nothing wrong with that. Nor do I think that it's fair for people to shove their religions on eachother so yay for all of the other religions posted here! Believe what you believe and follow your heart!  

Arcaniss Vivian

goddess_elppy

Feline Fairy

8,475 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:43 am
It's the most wonderful time . . .

To be honest, religion means community to me. I grew up as a Catholic, and there were always people around, so it just made things more fun when you have someone you want to share it with. I joined the Unitarian Universalist Church in my area, but I didn't like the politics, so I've stopped going.

With community comes learning. I think it's important (for me anyway) to have others to look to for guidance so that if I'm doing something wrong they can help correct it, or just have others to talk to about their views on everything and learn through talking to other people.

Through learning comes a deeper understanding, not only of yourself, but of your religion in general. Personally, I don't think anyone should dictate how you communicate with and experience the Divine (which is one of the reasons I'm no longer Catholic); every person is different, every relationship is different, so why should your relationship with God be the same as everyone else's?

So yeah, that's basically what religion means to me. I personally don't understand atheists, but maybe that comes from always having the influence of religion in my life. =)

. . . of the year!User Image

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:41 pm
I came to religion because my Goddess told me to. I have no clue what I want out of it. To honor my goddess perhaps? To understand why she called me to follow her?  

Orchidsandfractals

warhead1029

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:54 pm
im not gonna lie here i dont really care what my religion is i just chose wicca because it sounds cool  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:45 pm
joseph m 102
im not gonna lie here i dont really care what my religion is i just chose wicca because it sounds cool

Unfortunetely for that, Wicca is not a religion one simply chooses and is instantly a member of. You will have to choose something else to describe yourself for the time being. That thing may be 'Seeker', if you are over 18 and willing to properly Seek Wicca via a lineaged coven.

If not, try simply "pagan". Using a word to describe oneself that merely sounds good, especially when it doesn't actually apply, is very shallow and not a good idea.  

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

GoddessAttuned

Mind-boggling Fatcat

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:39 pm
Mmmm good question actually xD
Now I will never say the mosy common reply that is " I want a sence of coming home." Because I think everyone experiences that through coming to terms and finding what is right and what works for them in religion.
I personally want and /or need a sence of steadiness and a feeling of " self peace." To me religion needs to bring a new understand to things in my day-to-day life style and perhaps changes and throught provokes my previous understandings. It doesn't need to be ground shaking or revelating, but religion needs to make me think about things and perhaps adjust my view and make me want to learn and strive for more understanding.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:44 pm
I for one, want out of religion, security and a way to express who I am inside. I learned about paganism from my best friend's friend and the more I learned, the more I felt that it was for me. I am not wiccan but when I get older I hope to explore this branch more. Paganism for me is a religion due to the fact that I am still learning and know very little about the ritual aspect of this religion.  

bobkitty1123

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:47 pm
bobkitty1123
I for one, want out of religion, security and a way to express who I am inside. I learned about paganism from my best friend's friend and the more I learned, the more I felt that it was for me. I am not wiccan but when I get older I hope to explore this branch more. Paganism for me is a religion due to the fact that I am still learning and know very little about the ritual aspect of this religion.

Paganism itself is not a religion. Rather, it's a blanket term used to denote a religion that is not Judaic, Christian, or Muslim.

There are many pagan religions in the world, but "paganism" does not denote a specific religion by itself.  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games