View Results

the house of gaunt

Fashionable Flatterer

10,700 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Hero 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:36 pm
REASONABLE is the key word in the subject for this thread!

I recently came across an entry on livejournal where a girl read a the book and posted her own annotations of it on there. As a Twilight fan, I found myself agreeing with every single flaw in the book that she brought up. I was also laughing, hysterically, over every little thing she brought up. I'm wondering if anyone else does as well. Well... probably not :/
I'm only posting this out of curiousity. I do not intend to offend anyone by re-posting this. If I do offend you, please don't spam my pm inbox :/ I know there are some Twilight fans who will do that.

Here is what she posted. Her annotations are in bold.
Here's the lj as well. Livejournal link..

Quote:

I looked at the map in the truck, trying to memorize it now; hopefully I wouldn't
have to walk around with it stuck in front of my nose all day. I stuffed
everything in my bag, slung the strap over my shoulder, and sucked in a huge
breath. I can do this, I lied to myself feebly I feebly lied to myself. No one was going to bite me. ho ho i c wut u did ther. I
finally exhaled and stepped out of the truck.
I kept my face pulled back into my hood as I walked to the sidewalk, crowded
with teenagers. My plain black jacket didn't stand out, I noticed with relief. No wai, a plain black jacket didn't stand out?? 9_9 However, you probably do stand out acting LIKE A PARANOID FREAK.
Once I got around the cafeteria, building three was easy to spot. A large black
"3" was painted on a white square on the east corner. I felt my breathing
gradually creeping toward hyperventilation as I approached the door. I seriously started laughing at this point. SHE HAS TO BE EXTREMELY MESSED UP to be this nervous. At this point I'm thinking she's actually a crazy person who imagines all the impending vampire stuff.

Alright now, one of the things I hate in some books and shows is when people don't act like people. One of the most frequent violators of this peeve of mine are stories having to do with high schoolers. It's like, either the majority of writers were homeschooled, or have completely forgotten what it is like to be in high school. Or I guess it was possible they were total freaks too.

So, Bella has started going to a new school, and of course, everyone is just AMAZED by this new person. Now granted, Forks high school is a very small school, but still. I don't know anyone, no matter how big of a town you come from, who would meet a new person and look at them like O___O WOW!!!! Would you? You make glance at a new person, but who honestly is going to look at them like they're NOT OF THIS EARTH or something? Because that's exactly the impression you get from the people who meet Bella. Even the teachers, lmfao:

I took the slip up to the teacher, a tall, balding man whose desk had a nameplate
identifying him as Mr. Mason. He gawked at me when he saw my name OH MY GOD, I HAVE A NEW STUDENT *runs across the hall* YOU GUYS OH MY GOD, I HAVE A NEW STUDENT!!— not
an encouraging response — and of course I flushed tomato red. But at leastSTOP STARTING SENTENCES WITH "BUT" SO MUCH. WHY NOT JUST "Luckily, he
sent me to an empty desk at the back without introducing me to the class. It was
harder for my new classmates to stare at me in the back, but somehow, they
managed.

Gahhh Bella is seriously an all out caricature of a teenager:
I kept my eyes down on the reading list the teacher had given me. It
was fairly basic: Bronte, Shakespeare, Chaucer, Faulkner. I'd already read
everything. That was comforting… and boring. I wondered if my mom would send me my folder of old essays, or if she would think that was cheating. I went
through different arguments with her in my head while the teacher droned on. Typically, you're not supposed to want to kill the narrator, right?

Anyway, Bella deals with *sigh* *scoff* a nerd leik omg:
When the bell rang, a nasal buzzing sound, a gangly boy with skin problems and
hair black as an oil slick leaned across the aisle to talk to me.
"You're Isabella Swan, aren't you?" He looked like the overly helpful, chess club
type.
"Bella," I corrected. Everyone within a three-seat radius turned to look at me. And then they all go back to doing their own thing, right? Wrong.
"Where's your next class?" he asked.
I had to check in my bag. "Um, Government, with Jefferson, in building six."
There was nowhere to look without meeting curious eyes. Real people wouldn't give a s**t.
"I'm headed toward building four, I could show you the way…" Definitely overhelpful *scoff sigh* leik omg.
"I'm Eric," he added.
I smiled tentatively. "Thanks."
We got our jackets and headed out into the rain, which had picked up. I could have sworn several people behind us were walking close enough to eavesdrop. Real people wouldn't give a s**t. I
hoped I wasn't getting paranoid. TOO LATE HONEY.
"So, this is a lot different than Phoenix, huh?" he asked.
"Very."
"It doesn't rain much there, does it?"
"Three or four times a year."
"Wow, what must that be like?" he wondered. Real people wouldn't give a s**t.
"Sunny," I told him.
"You don't look very tan."
"My mother is part albino."
He studied my face apprehensively, and I sighed and scoffed, leik omg. It looked like clouds and a
sense of humor didn't mix. WHAT? CLOUDS? YOU'RE JUST UNFUNNY, MORON. A few months of this and I'd forget how to use
sarcasm. Honey I don't think you ever knew.

[Moving along, Bella notices the five Cullens who are all sitting by themselves in the corner, not eating their food, and strangely, not staring with "excessive interest" at Bella The Special Flower Who Doesn't Want To Be Noticed By Anyone and Life is Just so HARD sad ]
But it was none of these things that caught, and held, my attention.
They didn't look anything alike. And as everybody knows, it's weird to be friends with people that don't look like you do.
[Bella describes them (boringly). They've all got hot bods and they have pale skin and dark circles under their eyes.]
Though their noses, all their features, were straight, perfect, angular. Also as everybody knows, the straight and angular noses are best. Perfect, even.
But all this is not why I couldn't look away. You definitely said something to this extent a few sentences ago *points up*
I stared because their faces, so different, so similar, were all devastatingly,
inhumanly beautiful. They were faces you never expected to see except perhaps
on the airbrushed pages of a fashion magazine. Or painted by an old master as
the face of an angel. It was hard to decide who was the most beautiful — maybe
the perfect blond girl, or the bronze-haired boy. The blonde one is perfect. Wink wink, dear readers, wink wink.

[Bella learns the names of the Cullens.]
Strange, unpopular names, I thought. OKAY, BELLA 9_9

[Bella learns they're newish at school too.]
I felt a surge of pity, and relief. Pity because, as beautiful as they were, they
were outsiders, clearly not accepted. Relief that I wasn't the only newcomer here,
and certainly not the most interesting by any standard.
Oh my god lol, the only time so far in this entire book Bella has expressed sympathy or concern for someone other than herself, it is just because she thinks they're beautiful/like her. Wow.

"Which one is the boy with the reddish brown hair?" I asked. I peeked at him
from the corner of my eye, and he was still staring at me, but not gawking like
the other students had today — he had a slightly frustrated expression. I looked
down again.
PROBABLY BECAUSE THE NEW WEIRD PARANOID GIRL IS LOOKING AT HIM

"That's Edward. He's gorgeous, of course, but don't waste your time. He doesn't
date. Apparently none of the girls here are good-looking enough for him." She
sniffed, a clear case of sour grapes.
lmfao, "sour grapes". Meyer slipping into old fogey speech.

His hair was
dripping wet, disheveled — even so, he looked like he'd just finished shooting a
commercial for hair gel. His dazzling face was friendly, open, a slight smile on
his flawless lips. But his eyes were careful.
Careful eyes what the hell? Also we get it, he's "hot". I promise we did not forget from the last several times you told us.

I laughed without humor. "Hasn't anyone ever told you? Life isn't fair."
"I believe I have heard that somewhere before," he agreed dryly.
"So that's all," I insisted, wondering why he was still staring at me that way.
His gaze became appraising. "You put on a good show," he said slowly. "But I'd
be willing to bet that you're suffering more than you let anyone see."
I grimaced at him, resisting the impulse to stick out my tongue like a five-year old,
and looked away.
"Am I wrong?"
I tried to ignore him.
"I didn't think so," he murmured smugly.
I am shocked that he is just *so* interested in Bella, and just understands her perfectly upon first talking to her. No really, I would have never, ever seen that coming! How not Mary/Gary Sue like and romantic!! WHAT A TWIST

"Usually." He smiled widely, flashing a set of perfect, ultrawhite teeth.
LOLLLL

[Moving on to after Bella is saved by Edward from being crushed in a car accident (I think it's that part in the preview for the movie). She's upset that her mother was told that her daughter was almost killed. How dare they, right?]
I slammed the cruiser's door a little harder than necessary on my way out.
My mom was in hysterics, of course. I had to tell her I felt fine at least thirty
times before she would calm down. She begged me to come home — forgetting
the fact that home was empty at the moment — but her pleas were easier to resist
than I would have thought. I was consumed by the mystery Edward presented.
And more than a little obsessed by Edward himself. Stupid, stupid, stupid. I
wasn't as eager to escape Forks as I should be, as any normal, sane person would
be.
Guys, this is so bad. Not so bad it's good. So bad it's bad. No ironic funniness. It is just bad, like old lettuce. There is nothing funny about old lettuce unless it is being thrown on someone. It is like when you really want a salad and you open up the lettuce and you smell it and it's like "Oh, it's old." and you have to throw it away. It's not funny, it's annoying.

[Ok, after this I had to skim for a while. Then I read more of the same crap, then I skimmed some more. I get it, Bella literally becomes mentally retarded when she talks to Edward because he is so beautiful and his voice is so velvety smooth. I have yet to see any other reasons why she likes him. Their conversations are devoid of substance, humor, and anything remotely appealing. I am on page 84.]
"Honestly, Edward." I felt a thrill go through me as I said his name, and I hated
it. "I can't keep up with you. I thought you didn't want to be my friend."
"I said it would be better if we weren't friends, not that I didn't want to be."
"Oh, thanks, now that's all cleared up." Heavy sarcasm. I realized I had stopped
walking again. We were under the shelter of the cafeteria roof now, so I could
more easily look at his face. Which certainly didn't help my clarity of thought.

Did.. did she seriously write out "Heavy sarcasm."? Okay, I feel like Twilight just farted in my face.

And now they're listening to Claire de Lune? This is vile.

Ok I skimmed some more, read through the werewolves and vampires and Jacob Black, more of Bella and Edward talking about nothing, read about them hunting and Edward running and the fact that Edward really just wants to eat Bella (lol) and "very soft" kissing and the fact that Bella actually becomes incapacitated and can't drive after one kiss, and the other good vampires and stuff. Stephanie Meyer has to be seriously messed up in the head, not to mention a complete loser (Bella hates sports, cries a lot, and "falls down a lot when she runs") if Bella is a self insert, which it is painfully clear that she is. Also lawl, whoever said she was said to have been inserting Mormon values all throughout the book, I'd believe it xD.

So I leave you with this:

"In the last hundred years or so," [Edward's]
voice was teasing, "I never imagined anything like this. I didn't believe I would
ever find someone I wanted to be with… in another way than my brothers and
sisters. And then to find, even though it's all new to me, that I'm good at it… at
being with you…"

NO.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:03 am
She does have very good points, yes.
But we all know Meyer isn't an experienced writer... and she did a better job than I could... That's for sure!
Lets just hope Meyer learns from her little flaws!

This doesn't make me like the books any less, though.

CatRoxx

Jellycones

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:27 pm
The thing with me is, whilst reading that person's point of view I realized I didn't have thoughts like that at ALL while reading the book. I've read it maybe...five times in the past few years... The first two or three times, I thought it was perfect. But the last few times I have read it has gotten me annoyed.

So I do agree with some of that person's annotations...such as her describing Edward's dazzlingness, and how beautiful he is. After the first three or four times of reading about how obsessed she was with his looks and how she lost her breath when they kissed...and how she couldn't drive and stuff, I found myself rolling my eyes over and over again. Haha. Cause it's truly unrealistic, and the story is supposed to be realistic with a mythical twinge, right? Well that's how I precieved it.

That's why I like New Moon and up better, because it's not so much focused on how god like Edward looks, and stuff.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:05 pm
Seriously, thank you! That entry clearly demonstrates that Twilight isn't the greatest book ever, and it's heavily flawed. I've known this since I first read it, and it all became clearer with each time I read it through. But has anyone else noticed... the quality of work actually went DONE as she wrote the series? I mean, Dawning Crap basically read like a really cliche internet fanfiction... that's not getting better at all.  

Twilight Scribe

.Bucket.of.Joy.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:57 pm
That was funny. I really don't mind when people make fun of Twilight, or whatever, as long as they do a good job. I've seen a read a few things that people have posted that are just plain idiotic. They're not funny, they're trying like hell to be funny, but they just end up re-writing the books in a sarcastic way that is the least bit funny.

This was actually funny. She brought up a lot of good points and she did it in a funny way. I've found that reviews from people who hate the series are often unfunny or judgmental. Hers was neither. That's what I liked about it. She was saying that she didn't like the series, but she was saying that everyone who liked it are dumb asses. She was pointing out things that should have been better. I liked it. I just knew that that 'LOLLLL' link what going to go to Ross' misfortune in F.R.I.E.N.D.S.

On another note, I had never notice how self-centered Bella actually is until this person pointed it out. If you read the chapters of Midnight Sun, you'll know that Edward thinks of Bella as very selfless. I wouldn't consider her extremely selfish, but she is rather self-centered. She only really seems to notice how everyone is staring at her, and when the Cullens aren't staring she finds it so mystifying and incredible.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:28 am
well, twilight IS a fairytale...it's like Pretty Woman, if any of you saw that movie...  

WineChan

_-Mitsubachi-_-Fujin-_

Shameless Elder

18,100 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:08 pm
Kittycharm
well, twilight IS a fairytale...it's like Pretty Woman, if any of you saw that movie...

any kid that was born in the 80's and early 90's should have seen this movie if your mother was anything like mine

But even fairytales are usually better written.

Like I've said over and over again, the Twilight series is poorly written (which I was surprised with the other day when I was reading about Stephanie on the cover of Eclipse. What I don't understand is how someone with a background of english literature doesn't write as good as they probably should be able to... but I guess this was more of a creative writing thing, but some things... just wow. I'm dyslexic and I know more about grammar and spelling than she apparently does)

Anyways, I read the twilight series because I like the plot, just not how it's written.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:02 pm
_-Mitsubachi-_-Fujin-_
Kittycharm

any kid that was born in the 80's and early 90's should have seen this movie if your mother was anything like mine

But even fairytales are usually better written.

Like I've said over and over again, the Twilight series is poorly written (which I was surprised with the other day when I was reading about Stephanie on the cover of Eclipse. What I don't understand is how someone with a background of english literature doesn't write as good as they probably should be able to... but I guess this was more of a creative writing thing, but some things... just wow. I'm dyslexic and I know more about grammar and spelling than she apparently does)

Anyways, I read the twilight series because I like the plot, just not how it's written.

Twilight = thesaurus-rape.  

Twilight Scribe

x_Jamais vu_x

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:19 pm
I ROFL'd rofl

While I like the story, I've always said that the writing's terrible. And despite what a lot of people seem to think, I believe you CAN like a book and admit its flaws.

Twilight Scribe
Seriously, thank you! That entry clearly demonstrates that Twilight isn't the greatest book ever, and it's heavily flawed. I've known this since I first read it, and it all became clearer with each time I read it through. But has anyone else noticed... the quality of work actually went DONE as she wrote the series? I mean, Dawning Crap basically read like a really cliche internet fanfiction... that's not getting better at all.

gonk Don't get me started on Breaking Dawn...I've read internet stuff with much better plot than that book. I mean, I thought the Harry Potter 7 epilogue with Albus Severus was like bad fanfiction. Then came Breaking Dawn with Renesmee (poor child, whatever did she do to earn that name? neutral ) and the WHOLE book was like that.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:21 pm
x_Jamais vu_x
I ROFL'd rofl

While I like the story, I've always said that the writing's terrible. And despite what a lot of people seem to think, I believe you CAN like a book and admit its flaws.

Twilight Scribe

gonk Don't get me started on Breaking Dawn...I've read internet stuff with much better plot than that book. I mean, I thought the Harry Potter 7 epilogue with Albus Severus was like bad fanfiction. Then came Breaking Dawn with Renesmee (poor child, whatever did she do to earn that name? neutral ) and the WHOLE book was like that.

oh god! ... the ending of the HP series.. honestly, UGH! But ya know.. it was still better than BD. lol

And honestly, I've been saying this since I first read Twilight, it's just another half assed written fan fiction that's been published and really... there are much better writers on fan fiction sites that don't get recognized  

_-Mitsubachi-_-Fujin-_

Shameless Elder

18,100 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tycoon 200

Twilight Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:56 pm
_-Mitsubachi-_-Fujin-_
x_Jamais vu_x
I ROFL'd rofl

Twilight Scribe

oh god! ... the ending of the HP series.. honestly, UGH! But ya know.. it was still better than BD. lol

And honestly, I've been saying this since I first read Twilight, it's just another half assed written fan fiction that's been published and really... there are much better writers on fan fiction sites that don't get recognized
Precisely! I only really like the Twilight series because of its potential, but the fact that it got published and was written in six months is sort of a... shame, really. I've seen at least TWO fanfiction authors that are freakin' amazing! One's an English major, though, so I'm expecting that she'll get published one day, not sure about the other one...

And they write ST fanfiction.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:03 am
Twilight Scribe
_-Mitsubachi-_-Fujin-_
x_Jamais vu_x
I ROFL'd rofl

Twilight Scribe

Precisely! I only really like the Twilight series because of its potential, but the fact that it got published and was written in six months is sort of a... shame, really. I've seen at least TWO fanfiction authors that are freakin' amazing! One's an English major, though, so I'm expecting that she'll get published one day, not sure about the other one...

I never expect much when reading fanfiction. I've actually come to classify it in 3 types:

1) burning_eyes , which includes Mary-Sue-ness, extreme OOC (I can take a little, for story's sake, but there's a limit when it stops being OOC and it just becomes a whole different character), many crossovers, extremely bad grammar or spelling, plot-less fiction, and absolute lack of writing abilities. I avoid it like hell.

2) Acceptable fanfiction. This type can lean both to the good or bad, but it usually settles on a point in between. It's usually readable, but you can't expect too much from the plot or the narration. If it's longer than just a few chapters it can become boring and the plot dangerously close to non-existant. Most are sadly predictable.

3) Amazing fanfiction. The rarest kind, but the most appreciated. It's a story that has been carefully written and edited, it's easy to read, has a good, clear plot that makes you want to keep reading; and many times leaves you wishing they'd written just a bit more when the story's done. Sometimes, they provide an alternate storyline or ending that's better than the book itself, and you wish it had been published and become cannon instead of just fanfiction.

I'd say Breaking Dawn belongs entirely to the 2nd category, sometimes taking a dangerous step towards the first one; but catching itself in time to stay within the boundaries.  

x_Jamais vu_x

.Bucket.of.Joy.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:57 am
x_Jamais vu_x
Twilight Scribe
_-Mitsubachi-_-Fujin-_
x_Jamais vu_x
I ROFL'd rofl

Twilight Scribe

I never expect much when reading fanfiction. I've actually come to classify it in 3 types:

1) burning_eyes , which includes Mary-Sue-ness, extreme OOC (I can take a little, for story's sake, but there's a limit when it stops being OOC and it just becomes a whole different character), many crossovers, extremely bad grammar or spelling, plot-less fiction, and absolute lack of writing abilities. I avoid it like hell.

2) Acceptable fanfiction. This type can lean both to the good or bad, but it usually settles on a point in between. It's usually readable, but you can't expect too much from the plot or the narration. If it's longer than just a few chapters it can become boring and the plot dangerously close to non-existant. Most are sadly predictable.

3) Amazing fanfiction. The rarest kind, but the most appreciated. It's a story that has been carefully written and edited, it's easy to read, has a good, clear plot that makes you want to keep reading; and many times leaves you wishing they'd written just a bit more when the story's done. Sometimes, they provide an alternate storyline or ending that's better than the book itself, and you wish it had been published and become cannon instead of just fanfiction.

I'd say Breaking Dawn belongs entirely to the 2nd category, sometimes taking a dangerous step towards the first one; but catching itself in time to stay within the boundaries.

I think the reason so many people are so upset with Breaking Dawn was because it was too perfect. It was like some kind of Disney crap where everything looks like it's going to end in hell, but low and behold, a miracle comes along to save the lives of the two wondrous main characters. It was like she pulled that story out the vault entitled "Happy and Beautifully Perfect Stories".

Firstly, I don't think a child, no matter how perfect and unique, would ever fit into Bella's or Edward's characters. I felt as though the whole foundation of their characters was completely shifted into something all new. The worst part was when Bella even said herself that she had never liked kids, and yet, she loves Renesmee more than her own life. It was completely uncalled for to have someone who obviously doesn't even like kids almost kill herself to have said child, and then later risk her own life a second time to save it.

Secondly, although Stephenie Meyer continually made it clear that she had never said anything about a male vampire having a child with a female human, I felt like she had indeed made it clear it could not happen. She continually said "vampires cannot nave babies", was that not the reason Rosalie was so distraught? Yet, here she goes telling us it is entirely possible. By saying "vampires" I feel like males were included in that. It was so unexpected (in a bad way), it just kind of ruined everything. The baby was so out of the question, and had been a topic of so much fanfiction, I feel like she really screwed the pooch on that one. Admittedly, it was written in the same fashion as the other ones, but this time it was different, because vampire babies was so out of the question it had become the thoughts of wistful fans and not the actual story. The baby was just too perfect. It made the already wonderful love and romance between too people just that much more perfect, but, in reality it had the opposite effect, it was sickening, nothing like that happens in real life. Bella's vampire world was just missing a few things, but, oh, my gosh! She gets to have a baby and maintain a relationship with her father!? Wow, Bella's life is just so perfect.

It was missing a great deal of conflict. 97% of the book was either Bella dying or Bella loving her wonderful, perfect life. The last tiny, tiny bit was a tense argument. There was no fight scene, no race against the clock, no intense chase. It was a tense argument, debate, if you will. It was somewhat entertaining, but by no means gripping and exciting. Besides, it was painfully clear what was going to happen within the second chapter when she was having all of those vampire baby dreams. Something like that just screams foreshadowing. She kind of took the fun out of everything.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:19 pm
Ugh, I hated the last book for the sole reason of the mutant spawn, and Meyer basically going back and completely rewriting all of her characters and their weak characterization and then ignoring her universe's own rules in order to make this possible. It was all so horrendously cheesy and just plain bad that I had to go off and write a whole ton of angst to get my anger out of me.

Dawning Crap (I call it that, because I feel that's what it was) read more like a really bad internet fic, and I should know because in the break between Eclipse and Dawning Crap's publishing dates, I actually ventured out of my small corner of Twislash to see what the canon fans were turning out. Once I'd seen all the 'happily married couple Edward and Bella' fics, along with the pages full of ones where they SOMEHOW have a baby, I was thinking "Man, I hope this doesn't happen in the actual book!"

Lo and behold, my hopes were dashed and I had the urge to either shoot myself in the foot or gouge out my eyes. Then again, maybe I can steal Bones' brain bleach to remove all knowledge of it from my mind. Actually, I've been doing a pretty good job of pretending that it didn't happen and that it didn't exist.

And since we were talking about fanfiction... I'd like to recommend two of my favorites (and they're crazy good, so I do strongly suggest you go read them, even if they're not related to Twilight AT ALL).

Go check out Home by Lanaea on FF.net, and We Reach Our Apogee Slowly by kowaiyoukai on LJ.

But as far as good fanfiction for the Twilight series... good luck with finding anything good in the canon sections, because it's pretty much been flooded with bad writers who couldn't write their way out of a paper bag. I've found that almost all of the actual good 'OMFG I LOVE IT' fanfiction is to be found in the slash followings. Which is why I prefer LJ to FF.net, mostly.

Twilight Scribe

.Bucket.of.Joy.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:40 pm
Twilight Scribe
Ugh, I hated the last book for the sole reason of the mutant spawn, and Meyer basically going back and completely rewriting all of her characters and their weak characterization and then ignoring her universe's own rules in order to make this possible. It was all so horrendously cheesy and just plain bad that I had to go off and write a whole ton of angst to get my anger out of me.

Dawning Crap (I call it that, because I feel that's what it was) read more like a really bad internet fic, and I should know because in the break between Eclipse and Dawning Crap's publishing dates, I actually ventured out of my small corner of Twislash to see what the canon fans were turning out. Once I'd seen all the 'happily married couple Edward and Bella' fics, along with the pages full of ones where they SOMEHOW have a baby, I was thinking "Man, I hope this doesn't happen in the actual book!"

Lo and behold, my hopes were dashed and I had the urge to either shoot myself in the foot or gouge out my eyes. Then again, maybe I can steal Bones' brain bleach to remove all knowledge of it from my mind. Actually, I've been doing a pretty good job of pretending that it didn't happen and that it didn't exist.

And since we were talking about fanfiction... I'd like to recommend two of my favorites (and they're crazy good, so I do strongly suggest you go read them, even if they're not related to Twilight AT ALL).

Go check out Home by Lanaea on FF.net, and We Reach Our Apogee Slowly by kowaiyoukai on LJ.

But as far as good fanfiction for the Twilight series... good luck with finding anything good in the canon sections, because it's pretty much been flooded with bad writers who couldn't write their way out of a paper bag. I've found that almost all of the actual good 'OMFG I LOVE IT' fanfiction is to be found in the slash followings. Which is why I prefer LJ to FF.net, mostly.

It was defiantly the baby that ruined the whole thing for me, too. The thing was, was that I was so completely sure that there was no way in hell they could have a baby, that I was way past hoping for it not to happen. It didn't even cross my mind. Even when I read the part where Bella realizes that her period is long past due, the first thing that came to my mind was (and I am not kidding) that her uteris must have become vampirized somehow. And I know that's completely stupid, but I could not imagine a world where she could get pregnant. It just wasn't possible. It took me to the point where she actually feels the kicking to accept the fact that she was pregnant. And I thought it was completely rediculous.

I am very, very picky about the fanfics I read. Generally, I will read the first chapter, and if it completely sucks, I will move on, no matter how good the summary sounded. I cannot tolerate the horrid writing of 99% of the writers there. What I hate most about fanfics is how easily and quickly the characters accept one another. For example. in one I read (which didn't pass the chapter test), Bella was a fairy, and the faries were in the middle of a war with the vampires, Bella was a princess and Edward was a prince and the both hated the other species. But, oh wait, Alice 'sees' Bella dying and in trouble and they go and save her and they both fall in love at first sight. Which is stupid. She completel;y compromised the background she had set up for the characters so they would fall in love before the first chapter was even finished (I left a lengthy review about how it should not have happened that way, in which she comepletely ignored). It was bad.

My favourite story I have ever come across is A Littlle Less Than Before by Burrberry Bugsy (FF.net). Astonshingly, she actually uses paragraphs (which is rare) and knows how to spell and where to place a comma. It's a good story, it kind of plays off the idea of the movie My Best Friend's Wedding. And It doesn't do what so many fanfictions do, in which Bella has some huge life problem, but it magically gets solved as soon as Edward enters her life. That doesn't happen. It's good. The girl knows how to tell a story.

Twilight - The Book, by Stephenie Meyer

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff