Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Cosplay Help
Prop Help Thread Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

salsaplant

GO

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:21 am
User Image

This is the general thread where people post their problems/issues with a prop they're making, and the rest of us give them ideas in order to help them.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:05 am
Hiya!

This is a "just in general" question, I suppose. As I have said, I'm cosplaying as Nero for the next convention up here in the "upper 49th". The costume is a-ok, just.... not the sword.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h202/Christawitch/redqueen.jpg That is what I'm aiming at making, if I'm able. What would you say would be the best material to make it from? I've heard that foam board would be good and easy to carry around, but I'd like to hear from people who've done this before. smile Oh, and this is my first time making a prop, BTW.

Thank you so much for your time. smile  

Cooley Fair

5,300 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Friendly 100

AirborneInfection

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:56 pm
Cooley Fair
Hiya!

This is a "just in general" question, I suppose. As I have said, I'm cosplaying as Nero for the next convention up here in the "upper 49th". The costume is a-ok, just.... not the sword.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h202/Christawitch/redqueen.jpg That is what I'm aiming at making, if I'm able. What would you say would be the best material to make it from? I've heard that foam board would be good and easy to carry around, but I'd like to hear from people who've done this before. smile Oh, and this is my first time making a prop, BTW.

I'm not positive on this, but your best bet would be to invest in some foam and cut it out to make the sword. It's a specific kind of foam though. I'm not sure where you would find it, but best chances would be online, and then paint it.

You could also go the custom route and order one. Here's a site that specifically makes foam weapons: Foam Weapons

hope that helps a little. :/

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:49 pm
Cooley Fair
Hiya!

i personally prefer working with wood as it is more durable, but i guess it all depends on the resources you have. i know my friend made the sword for sephiroth out of wood, and im in the planning stage of making yazoo's gun too. the detailing of the sword might be a bit tricky though, so im thinking maybe make that out of some sculpey and super glue it onto the base (undetailed part) of the sword, and paint it all together. i think it would work, i dunno i just saw the sword and it looked like a similar situation as my prop dilemma.  

Dictator Shuri

Jacky Strider

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:04 pm
Again, I need some help with my Grimmjow cosplay. xD

Alright, so I need help making the sword, and I'd rather not have foam. Should I make it wooden, or does anyone else have a suggestion?

If I go with the wooden, does anyone know HOW I can make it? xD  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:57 pm
Aha! Now the ball is really in iZanami's court xD Swordmaking is my cosplay specialty razz

From personal experience, 1/2" insulation foam aKa "pink foam" has been a reliable core material for swordmaking. Its inexpensive, easy to find, and easy to shape however way you want. It can usually be found in the lumber section of lowes or home depot (though in lowes its typically blue.) in either 1/2" or 2" thickness. For around 10 dollars this nets you a nice 3' by 10' sheet which when it comes down to it, is ALOT of material to work with.

I recommend drawing out a pattern on either posterboard (the cardboard sheets you can find just about anywhere) or foamboard (that foldable boards that we have all used at least once for science fairs or whatnot.)

Once you've gotten your core weapon made (be careful with it, it may be a sturdy material but dont go swinging it around like a real sword yet cause it will break. This is a personal experience opinion cause my current sword project just BROKE cause of my stupidity), I recommend purchasing either .020 thickness styrene sheets or Wonderflex and using them to cover your weapon.

Styrene is cheaper at 6 dollars a sheet from US Plastics, but wonderflex can be easier to work with as its heat activated and is self bonding, whereas styrene merely covers wherever you apply it and requires adhesives.

Some people may recommend using bondo or other epoxy as a covering material, however I advise against this as I have experiennced nothing but trouble from them, the surfaces end up rough and doesnt give a smooth finish and its extremely heavy to carry a weapon coated in this stuff.  

Obscuranoxious

salsaplant

GO

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:42 pm
O.O
It all makes sense yet I still cannot comprehend how to pull it off... Mostly because I fail with everything else other than sewing D:
I might just have to commission you in the near future to make me something iZanami, because you definitely sound like you know what you're doing XD

I certainly could try XD I'm pretty much learning as I go, but thats how I usually start a project XD  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:31 pm
Thank you so much for the help, everyone! biggrin I'll do as you all suggested, and try and make this thing. Again, thanks. ^.^  

Cooley Fair

5,300 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Friendly 100

iFranken Stein

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:25 pm
From what I've seen so far you all are having troubles or need help making very intricate or giant swords. Well, of course they're giant if a sword is not big in an anime/video game something is wrong.

Advice I can give!

1. If you're making a sword like Cloud's. Big, thick, tall, I would suggest Pink Insulation foam. It comes in 1/2", 1", and 2" thickness. If you're experienced in wood you can use that too. But, make sure you use a light kind of wood. Wood+Cloud's sword=Heavy as ********. Smaller swords like....katanas and zanpakutou from bleach I recommend wood. Cosplay.com
The link above has some AMAZING tutorials. I know there is a fabulous one for katana making that I used.

3. KEEP IN MIND! Convention standards limit the size of your weapon. Otakon for example the weapon must be 6'6" at max. Or be wielded with much caution if it is taller then that, but must be able to separate itself into sections. METAL is usually not allowed. Live weapons especially.......but that's just obvious.

Well, that's all I have to say for now. If you have any questions please post here or pm me. =w=  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:39 pm
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g3/PPGD_fan/PPGZ Characters/Miyako - Bubbles/Bubbles.jpg
http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww21/sailormoonrockz/PPGZ/ppg-rolling-bubbles.jpg
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm268/Buttercup_The_ppg/ppgz_tv0053-1.jpg
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm268/Buttercup_The_ppg/ppgz_tv0171.jpg

That thing she's holding please. I've been pondering for the longest time what to do for this bubble wand. Should I make two pieces and attach them somehow? or try to make one whole piece. (sorry for multiple pics. I tried to find good ones but it's really hard.)  

burgawinosourus

Toothsome Phantom

Obscuranoxious

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:42 pm
salsababy2889
O.O
It all makes sense yet I still cannot comprehend how to pull it off... Mostly because I fail with everything else other than sewing D:
I might just have to commission you in the near future to make me something iZanami, because you definitely sound like you know what you're doing XD

I certainly could try XD I'm pretty much learning as I go, but thats how I usually start a project XD

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:54 pm
Cooley Fair
Hiya!

I definitely would not recommend wood for such a large sword. It'll be too heavy and your arm will get sore.

Insulation foam would be great for it because it is easy to shape and very lightweight. You can get it at Home Depot or Lowes and it comes in these huge pink or blue slabs. You can draw the basic shape on with marker and cut it out easily with a knife. After that, you can sand it to add details. If you mess up or gouge it, don't worry, just slap on a little wood putty in the hole, let that dry, and sand it. Since you'll be painting over it, you'll never notice the spot.
Now, when you have it sanded to the shape you want, apply Gesso (it's the stuff painters put on a canvas). It's white paint-like stuff and comes in various sized containers at AC Moore and probably Michael's and some other places. Coat the prop in it, let it dry, and sand it. Repeat this process at least 2 more times. This'll give you a nice smooth surface texture. After that you can paint it with whatever you want.

IMPORTANT!!! If you need to glue on a piece that broke off, BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU USE! Many glues will melt the foam. I recommend using Gorilla Glue. Just make sure you weight it down, since the glue expands as it dries.

Hope that's helpful!!  

Nekoko-hime

The Lone Wolf Jedi

3,500 Points
  • Member 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:10 am
If I may make a suggesation about props, I know a group of people who do One Piece cosplay and they make their own props, they go by the name The Crazy Crazy Rainbow Stars, they are on myspace so check them out, they do an awesome job  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:47 pm
Righteo. I am vey worn, and have cuts all over my hands, and I am not a happy Renix.
Know why?
I spent all day working on my sitar for my Demyx cosplay, and I didn't like how it turned out after hours of work. *Sighs*
So now, I need some HALP.

I looked at the tutorial on Cosplay.com - but I am NOT making that. I'm from Australia, and it'd probably cost me $170 or so, plus I haven't the faintest idea where I'd get the time or materials to make that prop. Plussss, it's 25 pounds. Awh, HELL NUH.

Does anyone have anysuggestions as to how I can make my damn sitar, and where I could get the materials? It would rock my world.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  

Admiral Tea

methuselah.alchemist

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:54 pm
I've been wanting to make Edward Elric's Dragon Lance for a while now, but I really have no idea what to use. I thought maybe this Crayola Model Magic stuff for the dragon, but I don't know what would be best to use to make a lance out of.

Here's some ref. pics.

There's a figure of him with it. I'm looking for better pics of it.

There's one from Brotherhood, though I prefer the coloring from the first series. But I can paint it however, so that doesn't really matter I guess.

Okay, having trouble finding pictures if it, so here's two of mine. >.>
User Image

User Image  
Cosplay Help

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out