Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Cosplay Help
Cosplay Help Thread-- Lolita/Visual Kei/Steampunk Outfits Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

salsaplant

GO

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:31 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

This is the general thread for people who are having difficulties with making a lolita/VK/Steampunk outfits. Post your problems here and we'll try to help you!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:41 pm
well I plan on making a steam punk outfit in the next year, I have a medium build so nothing 2 showy(like the bar whore outfit)
I'm not really in to the whole cowboy look and I kinda wanted to do a victorian lolita...thing...but with something a little futuristic so ppl will know its steampunk
ugh so my question is where should I start? I have made my costumes before but nothing lolita...so help meh?  

Animekrazy911

6,425 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100

Commander Iowa

O.G. Bloodsucker

6,890 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:56 pm
Animekrazy911
well I plan on making a steam punk outfit in the next year, I have a medium build so nothing 2 showy(like the bar whore outfit)
I'm not really in to the whole cowboy look and I kinda wanted to do a victorian lolita...thing...but with something a little futuristic so ppl will know its steampunk
ugh so my question is where should I start? I have made my costumes before but nothing lolita...so help meh?

*nods nods* That is indeed a good question and often the most difficult. My best suggestion is choose what kind of background you plan for your alter ego. This'll help determine what type of clothing and equipment you wear and help when you're in character (optional wink ) Make or find some goggles to go with the outfit. When you make equipment try and stay with brass and copper colors, it makes it very distinctive steampunk. Gears and cogs are also good to use.

Your steampunk costume can be very simple from just wearing some fancy like shoes a shirt, vest and goggles to something as complex like a whole flying rig and completely decked out in brass. It's up to you and you can't really mess up which is the nice thing about steampunk.

This is all I got for now and I hope this helps. Good luck on your steampunk project.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:51 pm
i can help with the lolita part smile to achieve some lolita into ur look try a feminine(nee length) skirt with a petticoat. also try a flowing hairstyle maybe with curls smile im sorry if this doesn't help much sweatdrop  

GakuenHeaven

La Ahna

6,800 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:39 am
The basics of a lolita look are a well-proportioned, large-volume skirt, that goes to knee-length at the highest together with a nicely balanced amount of lace and other frills. If your doing it in the steampunk fashion, with just a hint of lolita, you can change it up a lot from the normal "rules" of lolita. A google image search of "lolita style" can get you plenty of pictures showing the right type of size for the skirt.
To start, I'd say draw up your design then play around with it in your head for a while, deciding if it's really what you want to wear and if it's at the right level of difficulty for you. A lolita outfit is something that it's time-consuming, and though I've never made steampunk myself it's also bound to be. Make sure it's something you love, then start with whatever part you feel you can get into the easiest.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:34 am
User Image

Yes (ignore the pic it's just awesome like that cool i really dont know what lolita type shoe r does anyone wanna help? I've never cosplayed but my dress is black and white (mostly black)  

blindfoldedBandit

La Ahna

6,800 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:14 am
Neurogirl1
Yes (ignore the pic it's just awesome like that cool i really dont know what lolita type shoe r does anyone wanna help? I've never cosplayed but my dress is black and white (mostly black)

Those are Rocking Horse Shoes. They're very common shoes for lolita to wear, but they can also be expensive/hard to find.

A traditional pair of Mary Janes, not too flashy, can be worn instead.
When looking for good lolita shoes, just keep the whole refined, dressy feel in mind and make sure they match your outfit. Since you're black or white, either would be okay, but I'd suggest black just cause it'll go with more stuff in the future probably. (:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:37 am
Rocking horse shoes are expensive, and I would only go for then you plan to wear lolita a lot, not just for cons. Look for mary jane styled shoes, or maybe a dressy flat.

The skirt should have a bell shape with the petticoats all in it. You can have an A line skirt, but usually it is bell. Also, get either bloomers, or some short shorts to be more modest.

Hair seems to be typically straight bangs, with curls, but it is not the only style. The aim is to be kind a like a doll, so any pretty and made up look will do  

angel_259236102

Fashionable Bloodsucker

3,400 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Clambake 200

The Escaped Dream

Sparkly Prophet

5,600 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:13 am
What kinds of lolita items would work well with a pinstripe vest?  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:33 pm
Um... I want to do something like sweet lolita but Im not sure where to get materials...  

choco rose chan

A Blue-Eyed Monster

Dapper Dabbler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:39 pm
choco rose chan
Um... I want to do something like sweet lolita but Im not sure where to get materials...

Depends on your budget and a variety of factors such as; buying a dress or making a dress. Closet lolita or store lolita. Complexity of costume, including wigs & accessories.

For instance: I bought a huge bag of old patterns at a garage sale (for $2, lucky me) and some of them were for children's sailor dresses from the 50's. After modifying the pattern to make it size appropriate for me and choosing different fabrics and trims than what was called for I had a decent lolita dress.

The answer to your question depends on the former criteria. : D

Edits (You see?):

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:50 pm
I'm working on a lolita dress I want to make ( Front: http://www.everbuying.com/uploads/200912/source-img/Pink-Front-Tie-Lolita-Dress-G-14114.JPG Back: http://www.everbuying.com/uploads/200912/source-img/Pink-Front-Tie-Lolita-Dress1260457341719-P-14114.JPG ), and I was wondering two things:
1) Do you guys think it would be too hard to make?

2) If not, what kind of material should I use?

Any help would be great. smile  

Jacky Strider

Sugar Pucks

Indulgent Demigod

11,400 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:06 pm
Phyre Nyx
I'm working on a lolita dress I want to make ( Front: http://www.everbuying.com/uploads/200912/source-img/Pink-Front-Tie-Lolita-Dress-G-14114.JPG Back: http://www.everbuying.com/uploads/200912/source-img/Pink-Front-Tie-Lolita-Dress1260457341719-P-14114.JPG ), and I was wondering two things:
1) Do you guys think it would be too hard to make?

2) If not, what kind of material should I use?

Any help would be great. smile

It depends on your sewing level. I'd say that even with a pattern (which, if you look at name brand costume patters, there's a crap ton that will give you that look), it would be at LEAST intermediate with all the gathering and lace.

If you ARE going to make it, I would go with a nice cotton print. Jo Ann's has lots of cute girly prints that would make awesome lolita, just make sure that you line the bodice (the top portion).

Also, to get volume, I suggest making a petticoat or two.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:24 pm
I actually only have two questions. What's the difference between a petticoat and a tutu? Don't they both give the skirt/dress poof?

Do you really need to wear a blouse along with the dress?  

OhNoesItsMiho

Unbeatable Lover

9,150 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200

Uke-Kun Yaoi

Desirable Master

18,975 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Bookworm 100
  • Trash Can Supporter 50
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:39 pm
wow ok so the last person to post in here was 2011? 5 years. wowie. Anyways. .o. I'm making a steampunk skirt. I have a long skirt which is already p steampunk looking, but I'm making it so I can use small chains to kinda pull up on the sides. Kinda like this: (excuse my horrible ms paint art with my trackpad)
http://i.imgur.com/jIVAZ8l.png

but whenever I pull up the chains (when I have it pinned down at each of those black points) it pushes the middle down and makes it look really weird when I pull up the chains on the top bit. Any help with that? It's like a hitched up skirt, just so when I was up stairs I won't trip. Also - I'm tempted to buy this https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/eb/07/59/eb0759a3e3155509384d20619bb69c61.jpg
to help out with the hitched up bit (the chains in the picutre). ;; I dunno if it'll work though

Thank you!! ;;  
Cosplay Help

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces