Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Cosplay Help
Cosplay Help Thread-- Misc. Outfits Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

salsaplant

GO

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:48 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

This is the general thread for people who are having difficulties with cosplays that don't fall in to the other categories. Post your problem and we'll try to help you!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:23 pm
Not really sure where I should have posted this as it's not nessessarily a question about any particular costume in general, just seeing if someone could point me in the direction of a store/website that sells this:

I'm looking into future possibilities for me and my friends for cosplays and one I'm looking into involves body paint/body coloring/possibly henna use but I cant find anywhere reliable. eBay sells Henna kits but its all black or brown, no color.

Does anyone know where I can buy body paint and/or henna tattoo kits?  

Obscuranoxious

salsaplant

GO

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:01 pm
iZanami-oKami
Not really sure where I should have posted this as it's not nessessarily a question about any particular costume in general, just seeing if someone could point me in the direction of a store/website that sells this:

I'm looking into future possibilities for me and my friends for cosplays and one I'm looking into involves body paint/body coloring/possibly henna use but I cant find anywhere reliable. eBay sells Henna kits but its all black or brown, no color.

Does anyone know where I can buy body paint and/or henna tattoo kits?

Check out earthhenna.com  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:27 am
Personally, I don't need help, I just wanted to offer my help to anyone who needs it smile In the set of Sticky threads on the Cosplay board, there wasn't really a good place to put this, so I decided to stick it here. sweatdrop

I've made a good amount of kimonos and hakama (the pants that are usually worn over kimono- pleated in the front and back, wide-legged, probably seen on most any traditionally-dressed samurai), so if anyone needs help with those, I'm game!

I've also worked with vinyl, polyester (my dreaded arch-enemy!), cotton, and all kinds of other fabric. If you all have any sewing questions, and I can answer them, I'd be happy to do so! smile

I'm also working on a website of cosplay sewing guides. When I finish enough of it that I don't feel embarrassed to post it here, I will biggrin  

jyrotika

5,150 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Window Shopper 100

Komori-Chan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:51 am
jyrotika
I've made a good amount of kimonos and hakama (the pants that are usually worn over kimono- pleated in the front and back, wide-legged, probably seen on most any traditionally-dressed samurai), so if anyone needs help with those, I'm game!

Can I see pics? There are a lot of different variations going around of hakama... But I think yes, I'd need help. XD

(Also, you wouldn't happen to know what they call that shirt worn over kimono, with hakama as a part of a ceremonial outfit? Not the vest type.)  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:38 am
I'm making a Sephiroth costume and its my first time going to make a costume and go to a convention. Any ideas? I can handle the sword but I don't know what to do for the shoulder armor.  

Magsnetic_Huxling

6,850 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

jyrotika

5,150 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Window Shopper 100
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:23 pm
Komori-Chan: I don't have any pictures online yet, except the picture of my first pair of hakama, which I accidentally pleated backwards... sweatdrop I make mine so that they look almost like what a traditional samurai would have worn... Except- do you know how samurai's hakama have a very large triangle of open space on the side where you can see their shirt? I made the open triangle on mine smaller so that I don't have to worry about my kimono that goes under it pulling itself out of the hakama.
About your question- there are many types of coats to go with Japanese clothing... Since you said "Not the vest type" I'm guessing it's probably not the taiko happi coat or kataginu (If it's not anything I mentioned, try googling those!)... Try googling these for pictures (if the descriptions don't narrow it down) and tell me which one is what you need help with:
-Haori (short, waist or hip-length overcoat with long kimono-style sleeves)
-Hanten (short, usually thigh-length overcoat with close-fitting sleeves)
-Happi (mid-length, waist or hip-length overcoat with close-fitting sleeves)
-Michiyuki (mid-length, hip-length overcoat with long kimono-style sleeves, and buttons down the front)
-Uchikake (long, trailing overcoat with long kimono-style sleeves)

XxCrusnik05xX: I'm personally not very good with armor or props, since I have devoted almost all of my costuming time to clothing. I do, however, have a link to a site which should help you with them:
http://amethyst-angel.com/armormaking_chris.html
The woman that makes all those pieces of armor and props is amazing! I'm pretty sure this page should help you, since it shows how she made pauldrons for that outfit... Read this page too, since it shows her drafting a pattern for pauldrons and has a link to another page about how to go about making them:
http://amethyst-angel.com/armormaking_patterns.html

Have at thee! biggrin  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:46 am
Whee~ Thank you for your help. ^^;

jyrotika
Except- do you know how samurai's hakama have a very large triangle of open space on the side where you can see their shirt? I made the open triangle on mine smaller so that I don't have to worry about my kimono that goes under it pulling itself out of the hakama.

That sounds like a good idea to me. I don't really even know the basics of making hakama, but the space seems to be a little smaller anyway in the reference picture...

jyrotika
About your question- there are many types of coats to go with Japanese clothing... Since you said "Not the vest type" I'm guessing it's probably not the taiko happi coat or kataginu (If it's not anything I mentioned, try googling those!)... Try googling these for pictures (if the descriptions don't narrow it down) and tell me which one is what you need help with:
-Haori (short, waist or hip-length overcoat with long kimono-style sleeves)
-Hanten (short, usually thigh-length overcoat with close-fitting sleeves)
-Happi (mid-length, waist or hip-length overcoat with close-fitting sleeves)
-Michiyuki (mid-length, hip-length overcoat with long kimono-style sleeves, and buttons down the front)
-Uchikake (long, trailing overcoat with long kimono-style sleeves)

... Well, now. .__o I think I've googled all those before, but I just realised how weird it exactly is. What I'm talking about seems to be some sort of a mix of michiyuki and kataginu. Confusing much?

The best online reference so far

.... or more like a michiyuki without buttons and with slashed sleeves. ._.  

Komori-Chan

Dymagox

Dedicated Bibliophile

9,900 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:16 am
I am trying to put together a "mr. Potato head" style moogle costume, basically I am making a moogle that will rotate through a few different costumes that are all FF based, but on a moogle (Kupo!) The head is almost done, but as I approach the end of the head, I start thinking....I have never made a mascot before.....what do I do for the body???

So that is my question, how do I make a good mascot body? Any one know? I learned how to make the head years ago, but I neglected to ask about the rest, and that neglect is present at the moment. I already have everything else except the mascot (I originally was working on a blue mage bartz, but this sounded more fun) How do I do the body???????

Please thank you and kupo!  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:30 pm
A really basic mascot body can be made using a jumpsuit pattern. McCalls 8953 or Simplicity 5430 are pretty good bases.
The zipper can be put in the front or back, depending on preference.

Just remeber that (if you're using fur) the pile runs down, towards the hands and legs.

If you want something more specific (eg, padding, a close-fit, ect.) the fursuit livejournal is a very good place to go.

LINK  

exdraghunt

dragonelf13

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:26 pm
I'm planning out a cosplay of a plot bunny.

Anyone know where I can find an adult-sized bunny suit that's not skimpy?  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:02 pm
dragonelf13
I'm planning out a cosplay of a plot bunny.

Anyone know where I can find an adult-sized bunny suit that's not skimpy?

http://www.milanoo.com/wholesale-c199/p_num-48-viewtype-thing_grid.htm-textfield--tab--category--prices-0-pricee-.html
This is the only site I can think of that would have one that wouldn't break your bank-- You wanted a full bunny suit, right? :/

salsaplant

GO

Tyger Burning Bright

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:09 am
Hi there! I need a bit of help. I want to cosplay as Mokona Modoki from Tsubasa Resevoir Chronicles, but I'm unsure as what to use to make the red...thing...on Mokona's head. Help? ^^;

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:40 am
@Mademoiselle: Well depending on how big you want the gem thing to be, I'd say get one of these--

http://www.kitkraft.biz/product.php?productid=5524&cat=229&page=3

[[That one is 5'' ]] And paint the inside of it red so when you attach it to the head, it still has that shiny/glossy look but it's the color that you want *nodnod*

salsaplant

GO

Tyger Burning Bright

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:24 pm
That's perfect! Thank you so much! biggrin  
Cosplay Help

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items