Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gamers Promised Land, Gaia's Best Gaming and Pop Culture

Back to Guilds

Gaia's best guild for discussions and contests about Video Games, Pop Culture, general geek stuff, and any kind of discussion! 

Tags: Video Games, Pop culture, chatting, Internet, tournaments 

Reply Main Forum
Bethesda vs Interplay. This time it's real. Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:38 pm
I'm surprised that resident bethesda fanboy / crew memeber tron hasn't heard about or reported this - but there is now a lawsuit going on between Bethesda and Interplay. Luckily I'm here to explain the details and illuminate what the possible outcomes are, and how it effects your gaming!

Background History:

A little over a decade ago, Interplay was a great gaming publisher. Creators of classics like Earthworm Jim, and employers of some legendary developers like Black Isle Studio, most of the era's best CRPGs were published by Interplay. A few years pass, Interplay is owned by a new guy, and he pretty much runs the whole company into the ground. Interplay is on the verge of bankruptcy, and Bethesda wants to expand and become the next big developer. Fancying themselves as great RPG makers, they see that the legendary Fallout IP is being held by a company that is almost gone, so they offer a little over 5 Million dollars for the property. Fair enough.

Interplay asks that they can retain the right to republish the Fallout titles they made, and the rights to create an MMORPG. Interplay accepted, but either out of stupidity or desperation, the president of Iplay (he signed the contract, not a lawyer) agreed to a bunch of, for lack of a better term, bullshit clauses involving Interplay's rights in the deal.

What clauses? Well, Interplay has to amass a good amount of money (30 million) by April of 2009 for the MMO - something pretty tough for a company in position to file for bankruptcy to do. Alright, not that bad, as for rereleasing the old Fallout games, Interplay was supposed to send all marketing and packaging to Bethesda for approval before releasing the games. According to "insders" Bethesda never really intended to ever approve of any of the packaging.

Fast Forward to a few months ago.

Interplay releases the Fallout Trilogy pack in stores, as well as on direct download with services like Good old Games and Steam. Interplay also claims that they have found another company to fund an MMO called "V13" (vault 13) in April.

Fast Forward to now.

Bethesda files 2 lawsuits against Interplay, one for starting the MMO without the funding, and one for releasing the original fallout games without their approval.

The latest is that Interplay is trying to call foul play on Bethesda's part over the contract, and are also claiming that V13 isn't a Fallout MMO (even though there are nuka cola bottles in all the concept art)

What's it mean?

Well, Interplay did sign the shitty contract, so Bethesda isn't really in the wrong. It's kind of petty of Beth to sue over this stuff, considering the insane amount of money they made off of Fallout 3. So, there are a couple possible outcomes:

- Bethesda wins, and as a settlement gets money. Interplay has no money, Interplay goes bankrupt. If this were to happen, then either Interplay would sell the remaining parts of the IP to Bethesda for Bethesda to potentially rerelease, or the old games would never be sold legally, ever again.

- Bethesda will most likely be able to make their own Fallout MMO. This will probably be handled by Zenimax's new MMO studio (the studio that was opened near the same time as Fallout 3's release... quite the coincidence, eh)

- Interplay wins, somehow, and they get money out of Bethesda for damages, and they get to go full force with the MMO - highly unlikely.

So, my real concern here (I know that a fallout mmo will be dumb no matter what. Fallout isn't about being near other people, it's about the exact opposite), is that if Bethesda wins, and neither company is now legally able to rerelease the old games, the only way for them to ever be played would be via piracy or ebay. And frankly, those are classic games (well, minus tactics) that every "real" gamer should experience at some point in time.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:18 am
...i think i would kinda like a fallout mmo...but if it was like 90% of the mmos on the planet and combat played itself...right click and watch avatars do things for you...BUT if its like fallout 3 i would love it...BOOM HEAD SHOT hey exp look at that fun fun...and making people go angry German kid on their comps...plus once your done with all the stuff in fallout 3 (how ever impossible it is to do ALL of it) what would be better then blowing the heads off people? REAL people...that can get mad at you...and cuss you out...and think you care...and get head shoted again XD  

Niaxus

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:53 am
Why don't you just go play an FPS? Also you are aware that VATs would never work in a multiplayer setting unless the game used Fallout 1/2's turn based combat system.

Now, forget about your childish headshots (seriously just go play call of duty or whatever), and think about it. Fallout is about being alone in a post apocolyptic wasteland, fighting off weird monsters, and occasionally finding a settlement to do trade in. Populating the wasteland with a ******** of people would completely eradicate that feeling. The only thing I could see potentially working is if it was based on building societies for the most part.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:59 am
dude before you play me off as a guy who thinks FPS games are the best thing since sliced bread im not like that i love rpg's but it would just be fun if it was like that XD and vats shouldn't be in it at all XD that would be way to cheap...anyway im just mad at little kids who think they are the s**t because they play halo 3 and have ninja armor >>...so ya making them go angry German kid would be a win for me... im imagining all the locations in fallout 3 2 and 1 all piled into a awesome mmorpg with fallout 3 gameplay from the wastelanders point of view...not HEY LOOKS AT ME I HAS A MAGIC SUPER WRIST WATCH THAT LETS ME AUTO TARGET UR BRAINS LOLOL....it would just be an awesome game XD lol all the equipment (plus all the new stuff they would have) still...probably getting my hopes up for nothing eh?..oh power armor and plasma rifle..how you tease me...first person mmo..THE WAY OF TEH FUTUREZZZ how ever post apocolypty the future may be  

Niaxus

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:19 pm
It wouldn't make sense to have all the locations from 1, 2 and 3 since 1 and 2 are set on the west coast and 3 is set in washington DC. I was simply calling you an FPS player because you seem to think that fallout is about shooting people's heads off... and it's really not. also the angry german kid is an actor, proven fact, lol  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:19 am
well can you not role play and blow heads off at the same time? lol and when i say make people go angry German kid i mean make them go nuts and bust their comps and consoles...aaanyway i love rpg's and i can stand some fps games...but no im not one of those people who screams BOOM HEAD SHOT when they kill someone on halo...but i do scream BOOM HEAD SHOT when im poppin heads on fallout >>...  

Niaxus

Tron714
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:23 am
Hhmmm why haven't I, the besthesda fanboy resident (ORLY?!), reported this?

Well... news of Guild Wars 2 in the past few weeks took up my time. Refreshing twitter and checking for vid updates. Also school and studying for my 620 exam is taking time.

And it seems pretty obvious that Interplay violated the poorly done contract and Bethesda is just gonna absorb whats rest of Interplay and continue making Fallout games, and the mass audience will praise Bethesda for being the "creator" of the Fallout series. 3nodding

On a side note, a Fallout MMO is just incredibly stupid. Anyone in their right mind who thinks thats a cool game is just... doesn't grasp the whole concept of the plot... I mean can you see a whole bunch of people standing out in front of Megaton? None the less 100 people running outside escaping a vault at once?  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:05 am
Niaxus - that's borderline hypocritical

Tron - I don't really think that Interplay will "be absorbed", court cases don't really work like that. I'm fairly certain that the court will charge Interplay to pay some amount of money to Bethesda for "damages" and Herve (president of Interplay) will either pull some money out of nowhere, declare bankruptcy, or sell a few IPs to companies (Earthworm Jim, Clay Fighter, original Fallout games). The court will probably terminate the contract, which would mean that Bethesda would retain the right to make new Fallout games, but probably not rerelease the originals.  

nitnit
Captain

Tron714
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:39 pm
Seeing that Zenimax bought id Software I really don't see why Besthesda wouldn't want to expand the company as well. I mean if they just buy Interplay they can have a completely different team making Fallout games while they can work on other IPs.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:43 pm
Herve would have to be willing to sell it to them. He's a man driven by arrogance, so while it's possible he might to save himself financially, it's equally possible he wouldn't out of spite.  

nitnit
Captain

Niaxus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:57 pm
if they did do a fallout mmo would they add the fatman from f3 o.o...TEH CHAOS!!!!  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:40 pm
The fatman itself was a dumb idea for a fallout 3. For a game that's supposed to be about survival, why would you add a mini nuclear launcher? Regardless you can just use some of the unique small guns and energy weapons even more efficiently..  

nitnit
Captain

Tron714
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:14 pm
One of the things i liked from Fallout 1 and 2 was the diversity of weapons. I mean instead of just a 10mm handgun I could go out and purchase a Desert Eagle. I dont know... but I like things like that.

And a thought on the fatman. I never really used it. To me it was kinda worthless and I used it only a couple of times.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:12 am
i only used the fatman in my many attempts to kill freedom prime...all of which i was vaparatatized o.o  

Niaxus

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:08 am
Yup, the only way to kill liberty prime is to hack the game on the PC version... or mod it, I'm not 100% sure.  
Main Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff