Omg i'm gonna get a fox! squeee! Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Gotherine Foxx

Dangerous Genius

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:05 pm
My mother has been in contact with a private breeder and i am going to be getting a pet fox i am so exited but i havent decided on what breed yet please help me

her's the link to the breeder

http://www.tinytracksexoticanimals.com/fox.html  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:20 pm
My gut instinct when looking at this breeder's website is they are the equivalent of a fox mil and are into breeding more for the money than anything else. They look to be producing way too many animals at once for my comfort and I would be worried about how much individual socialization the kits are getting along with what kind of care to genetics they do when breeding. Seems they are probably far more interested in breeding foxes with 'pretty'/ unnatural coat combinations than they probably care about temperament.

If you want a pet fox than I would suggest going with a fennce fox. They generally make good pets and are considered the best species to keep for someone looking to get a pet fox. Any of the other fox species will require far more work/specialized care/space/training/management than the average pet owner will be prepared for.  

Krissim Klaw

Artemis Vulpes

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:30 pm
All I can say is to do as much research as you can before the purchase. There is no real such thing as a domestic fox. Some of been bread to be "tame" but are either ones bread for their fur or are ones from Russia that are not really foxes any more. It would be like calling your dog a wolf.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:46 pm
lol  

F a w k s i

Garek Maxwell

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:07 pm
Aren't they illegal to own? ...Maybe it's just me, but it seems like owning such an animal is a risky thing where you need a license to care for them.

...I'm also surprised at how much they can look like dogs too.
...Teehee, the marble fox/red fox looks cross eyed. whee  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:25 pm
I'm going to go with Krissim on this one...They seem to be overstretching themselves by more than just a little.

At any rate, though, I'll have to agree with Kris again. If you want a fox, look for a fennec. They're a lot easier to take care of than other foxes, thanks to the fact that they do live in a pack structure (called a harem), and the fact that they don't have the musky smell that other foxes have. Though, keep in mind, foxes in general are excellent diggers and jumpers, fennecs even more so than others. You should bury a fence down about 3-5 feet underground if you plan on letting them out into an enclosed backyard. If not, get a harness, and train the fox with it, so he/she's used to it. Personally, I'd get the harness anyway. Another perk about the fennec, tough, is the fact that some of them can be litter box trained.

Also, one more thing...Make absolutely sure that foxes are legal to have as pets in your state, and that there's a vet nearby that not only takes care of exotic pets, but is willing to take care of your fox, too. If a permit is required before you can get your fox, as some states to require them (much like wolfdogs that are more than 25% wolf), be sure to get the appropriate paperwork and fill it out. Otherwise, you could get into a fair amount of trouble.

(And yes, I've thought about getting a fennec myself XD I've done a lot of research, but I've never lived in a state where they're legal as pets.  

Davin_Nightwind

Sadinda

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:37 pm
If you were to buy from this breeder, I would treat it like I would buying a dog from a breeder. Go and visit the breeder and the foxes. Handle them yourself, look at the parents and the rest of the siblings and also ask about past breedings and any abnormal behaviors that came out of them. I'm not aware of regular domesticated fox behaviors, but they are scavengers, diggers and escape artists and you do not want the bold and most curious of them. Go for a calm and mellow fox.
Mills of any kind will not allow you to come and visit and will usually have you go through a middle man.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:19 am
Krissim Klaw
My gut instinct when looking at this breeder's website is they are the equivalent of a fox mil and are into breeding more for the money than anything else. They look to be producing way too many animals at once for my comfort and I would be worried about how much individual socialization the kits are getting along with what kind of care to genetics they do when breeding. Seems they are probably far more interested in breeding foxes with 'pretty'/ unnatural coat combinations than they probably care about temperament.

If you want a pet fox than I would suggest going with a fennce fox. They generally make good pets and are considered the best species to keep for someone looking to get a pet fox. Any of the other fox species will require far more work/specialized care/space/training/management than the average pet owner will be prepared for.
I understand your concern I am going to go to the breeders to inquire further I have had experience with exotic animals and special needs pets. This will be a learning experience but I am prepared to do what I have to do i'm not going to be like the people who get rabbits for easter only to get rid of them once they beccome too big or not fun anymore ...I cant count howmany of my friends dumped their pets on me for that reason.  

Gotherine Foxx

Dangerous Genius

Gotherine Foxx

Dangerous Genius

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:22 am
Artemis Vulpes
All I can say is to do as much research as you can before the purchase. There is no real such thing as a domestic fox. Some of been bread to be "tame" but are either ones bread for their fur or are ones from Russia that are not really foxes any more. It would be like calling your dog a wolf.
That's one of the reasons why i am excited about this place actualy .... they cross breed their foxes to protect against inbreeding and to make for a more hearty fox. I'm working my way up to it and i am planning ahead for what I would have to do inorder to keep such an exotic animal."  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:25 am
Garek Maxwell
Aren't they illegal to own? ...Maybe it's just me, but it seems like owning such an animal is a risky thing where you need a license to care for them.

...I'm also surprised at how much they can look like dogs too.
...Teehee, the marble fox/red fox looks cross eyed. whee
In indianna you dont need to have a license you have to go to your town officials whit a doccument on why and what kind of experience you ahve and you can be allowed or denyed to maintain that animal.  

Gotherine Foxx

Dangerous Genius

Artemis Vulpes

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:26 am
Glad to hear you have some experience in this area and are not going into this half halfheartedly.

I do not want to say names, but we have had members before that were constantly taken in exotic animals that they were not prepared to take care of and it seemed like every week one of them was sick or had recently died because of improper care.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:34 am
Davin_Nightwind
I'm going to go with Krissim on this one...They seem to be overstretching themselves by more than just a little.

At any rate, though, I'll have to agree with Kris again. If you want a fox, look for a fennec. They're a lot easier to take care of than other foxes, thanks to the fact that they do live in a pack structure (called a harem), and the fact that they don't have the musky smell that other foxes have. Though, keep in mind, foxes in general are excellent diggers and jumpers, fennecs even more so than others. You should bury a fence down about 3-5 feet underground if you plan on letting them out into an enclosed backyard. If not, get a harness, and train the fox with it, so he/she's used to it. Personally, I'd get the harness anyway. Another perk about the fennec, tough, is the fact that some of them can be litter box trained.

Also, one more thing...Make absolutely sure that foxes are legal to have as pets in your state, and that there's a vet nearby that not only takes care of exotic pets, but is willing to take care of your fox, too. If a permit is required before you can get your fox, as some states to require them (much like wolfdogs that are more than 25% wolf), be sure to get the appropriate paperwork and fill it out. Otherwise, you could get into a fair amount of trouble.

(And yes, I've thought about getting a fennec myself XD I've done a lot of research, but I've never lived in a state where they're legal as pets.
I dont think that a fenic would be right for me. I understand the digging snd natrual inquisiive nature . My worry would be about the size and the possibility of escape. I would be really concerned about him getting out one of the cat doors. and i know we have mice and my mentality would be that it wouldent take too much more digging once they found the right spot Ect. and also the size allot of the small dogs around my area usualy get kidnaped and held for ransom. It goes as far as breaking into peoples houses insome cases. I wuldent want to have him be a target for that with people thinking oh look at the funny chuaua And i have never had a dog smaller than a terrior. I would feel a little widthdrawn out of not wanting to do so much play activity out of fear of hurting them . Plus their nocturnal.  

Gotherine Foxx

Dangerous Genius

Gotherine Foxx

Dangerous Genius

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:38 am
Sadinda
If you were to buy from this breeder, I would treat it like I would buying a dog from a breeder. Go and visit the breeder and the foxes. Handle them yourself, look at the parents and the rest of the siblings and also ask about past breedings and any abnormal behaviors that came out of them. I'm not aware of regular domesticated fox behaviors, but they are scavengers, diggers and escape artists and you do not want the bold and most curious of them. Go for a calm and mellow fox.
Mills of any kind will not allow you to come and visit and will usually have you go through a middle man.
Tank you for that . I know how puppy milling is really bad on the dog breeding undustry. My mother who worked as a private bereeder (she never did forcable breedins or anything like that when the dos had puppys the dogs had puppys they also had a five acer farm to romp around) and she would foster some animals from mills to get them reintroduced to normal dog behavior beffore the county would accept them into a animal adoption plans.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:40 am
Artemis Vulpes
Glad to hear you have some experience in this area and are not going into this half halfheartedly.

I do not want to say names, but we have had members before that were constantly taken in exotic animals that they were not prepared to take care of and it seemed like every week one of them was sick or had recently died because of improper care.
I had a hedge hog droped into my lap allong with a rabbit corn snakes a chinchilla and a domesticated robbin ... that year was fun...  

Gotherine Foxx

Dangerous Genius

SierraTheWolfe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:59 pm
Look for the breed that has a better health rate and make sure you do some research on the breeder and the animal.

Many species have risky health traits due to improper breeding (Dogs have this problem and other domesticated species). I suggest you ask your breeder what methods does he or she use to bring the kits. Does he or she breed them through family blood (Inbreeding to bring out certain characteristics) or what kind of habitat are they raised in (Environment)?

Just be careful when choosing your animal!  
Adult Furries Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff