Submit

Renesmee?
  No.
  Is a miracle.
  The third option.
View Results

.Bucket.of.Joy.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:05 pm
Using my superior Biology 30 knowledge of reproduction, I have come to the conclusion that Renesmee cannot exist, and also that Stephenie Meyer doesn't know much about embryonic development and should have done more research before writing a novel in which a great section is devoted to such matters. Here are the reasons I have derived, based on my knowledge, of why the information just doesn't add up:

1) **Keep in mind that it can take up to 1.5 weeks for the zygote to travel to the uterus, this would not change with accelerated growth** Bella could feel the baby "nudging" her hand at seventeen days (2.4 weeks) (This is assuming her egg was fertilized the night of their wedding). At this point in time, the embryo would have only been growing for one week, even accounting for accelerated growth, the baby would be no bigger that one centimeter in length and would not be able to make a noticeable movement, nor would it even have any limbs or developed nervous system.

2) Refer to page 124 of Breaking Dawn,
"I had absolutely no experience with pregnancy or babies or any part of that world, but I wasn't an idiot. I'd seen enough movies and TV shows to know that this wasn't how it worked. I was only five days late. If I was pregnant, my body wouldn't have even registered that fact."
False. In reality, a woman's body is preparing for pregnancy from the moment the last flow phase of the menstrual cycle ends. What do you think is keeping the baby alive? What do you think is stopping your next menstrual cycle? Your body, which definitely knows you are pregnant. Women will often not consciously know they are pregnant until they miss their next menstrual cycle, but the body has been working away, keeping your baby alive.

3)Although I can't say I'm positive on this one, I really don't think the baby would begin thrashing if the placenta detached, nor would it cause the woman to "vomit a fountain of blood". Women will often feel abdominal pain, or experience bleeding, but in no cases is there ever that much violence. I think Stepheine Meyer may have made that all up.

4)If Edward cannot urinate, produce tears or does not have any blood, he cannot produce sperm. Sperm are produced in response to hormonal signals (specifically FSH and GnRH) and produced in the seminiferous tubules. If no other organs in his body are functioning, these will not either. And if he has no blood, hormones have no way to travel (also, he wouldn't be producing hormones). Edward, my friends, is sterile.

Those are my reasons. Feel free to argue with me, if you don't agree, I would like to hear what you have to think. But like I said, Renesmee definitely should not exist.

Also, just for the sake of shooting down Stephenie Meyer's other scientific miscalculations, werewolves would have 23 chromosomes. Because they are the children of two humans, the werewolf gene would be one of the 23 passed on by one of the parents. They wouldn't all of a sudden inherit an extra chromosome the first time they make the change.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:54 pm
I'm so happy someone posted this.
In my mind; Breaking Dawn does not exist.

When the book said Bella was pregnant, I was at shock. Edward is a vampire, vampires die--which is why they need blood to survive. We all know that folklore.
People have entertained the idea of a half-human, half-vampire, but it's impossible. At least some folklore has stayed true to science.

With the sudden "Vampire boom" that's going on. I have lost interest in the Twilight books.

anyway, great post. :]  

_IceGoddess15_

6,700 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Elocutionist 200

The Kraken

Dapper Dabbler

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:27 pm
I love you.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:00 pm
_IceGoddess15_
I'm so happy someone posted this.
In my mind; Breaking Dawn does not exist.

When the book said Bella was pregnant, I was at shock. Edward is a vampire, vampires die--which is why they need blood to survive. We all know that folklore.
People have entertained the idea of a half-human, half-vampire, but it's impossible. At least some folklore has stayed true to science.

With the sudden "Vampire boom" that's going on. I have lost interest in the Twilight books.

anyway, great post. :]

I refused to believe that it was true until I actually read the part where Jacob saw her extra large stomach. It was just too ridiculous.

@The Kraken: Thank you (:

.Bucket.of.Joy.

Twilight Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:38 am
You know what? I'm so glad that someone else decided to go ahead and do this, because not only does it save me the time of having to do it myself, it also helps me out by providing several more valid arguments to add to my own. I actually had to address this point, or several like it, in another thread on the forums. Would you like me to post my arguments here as well?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:15 pm
Twilight Scribe
You know what? I'm so glad that someone else decided to go ahead and do this, because not only does it save me the time of having to do it myself, it also helps me out by providing several more valid arguments to add to my own. I actually had to address this point, or several like it, in another thread on the forums. Would you like me to post my arguments here as well?

Of course you can, I'd love to hear them. I'm all for shutting down improper science claims. I hate it when people in T.V. or in books start writing and claiming things that cannot and are not scientifically possible. Like, you couldn't take the time to just search it in Google to make sure you knew what you were talking about?

Also, if you ever feel the need, you can quote me or use any of my arguments. I'd like to hear what people say in response to raw, scientific fact.

.Bucket.of.Joy.

Twilight Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:07 pm
Okay, here's the original part of the post that I quoted and then wrote a response too. I actually took apart her entire post and wrote arguments and reasons to support my points for each one. I actually posted the entire response and quotes on my journal, if anyone is interested.

Quote:
Katie_Dhampir
1.Bella is pregnant because she had sex with edward, and although two vampires can't have children, a human girl and vampire guy can. This is because:
a) Vampires can't change. A female vampire can't change physically to have a baby. Male vampires are about the same from puberty to death. (And vampireisation.)
b) If you remember, Steph M. Did not say that humans and vampires couldn't have children. She only said vampires and other vampires couldn't have children. This just never occurred to anyone as possible.
Bella had sex with Edward. We get that. The problem is that Meyer said that vampire couldn't conceive a child PERIOD. How, you may ask, do I know this? Because she states very clearly on several occasions that the only 'bodily fluid' that her vampires can produce is venom. Also, she never gave a clear reasoning for why this was possible. What she did was break the rules of her own universe to create a happy ending for anyone, no matter how much she had to hack and maim to get there.

The biggest problem with Bella's pregnancy and the reasons justifying it, is that Meyer tried to use BIOLOGY to explain how this was possible. Anyone with a high school (at least where I'm from) level knowledge of biology knows that you need a few things in order to successfully conceive a baby. Here they are:
1. Sperm cells need to be kept at a very SPECIFIC temperature that is just a little bit cooler then a human male's body temperature. This is why they are stored in the testes outside the body until ejaculation.
2. Sperm cells do not have a long life span, they die within a few days, whether in the female's body or in the male who produces them's body. They are not immortal (no living cell is). And since Meyer has clearly stated at multiple times that her vampires are unchangeable rocks basically, this means that by the time Edward actually does have sex with Bella, he has no viable sperm with which to fertilize her egg.
3. The chromosome BS. Okay. To make a zygote (what is formed when the sperm meets the egg at the moment of conception), the chromosomes MUST line-up. Humans have 23 pairs of chromosomes, meaning that they have 46 chromosomes in total. A gamete (an egg or a sperm) has only 23 chromosomes, half of the number in a somatic (normal) body cell. This is so when the sperm and egg meet, they fuse and once more have 46 chromosomes, making a fully functioning (usually) human being. Now, Edward has more chromosomes then Bella does. This means that when the chromosomes line-up (assuming fertilization does happen, which is impossible), there will be SPARES left over. Spare chromosomes lead to mental and/or physical disorders (think Down syndrome, caused by having three copies of chromosome 21). Which means that the zygote created wouldn't be viable and would just die in Bella's fallopian tubes.
4. A human egg cell has certain receptors on it that only allow HUMAN sperm to enter it. And while vampire sperm is CLOSE to being human sperm but has more chromosomes, then it's unlikely to make it past these receptors and be able to fertilize the egg in the first place.

By Meyer's 'logic' in which there are gaping holes, Rosalie and Emmett could very possibly have a test tube baby if they wanted too. They'd just need a suicidal surrogate to carry the baby to term.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:55 pm
Twilight Scribe I've read your argument before and agree with you and the author of this post. My mother said that Stephanie was treading thin ice when she claimed that only female vampires couldn't have babies. The whole thing was unrealistic and if Bella did have to have a baby her dreams were pointing towards a boy not a girl and her dreams have played a role in the past of telling the future even if she doesn't realize it.

The only reason Nessie existed is because Stephanie wanted Bella to have everything. She had a boy and Jake imprinted so the Wolves wouldn't kill the baby like they would have if it was a boy not to mention the anticlimactic battle. She didn't have a battle because she didn't want to kill off any of the characters which I think would have made the books ending a lot better than it was.  

Queen-of-the-Rogue

Merry Muse

16,700 Points
  • Wintersday Bard 50
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Advent Attendee 50

Twilight Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:34 pm
@ Queen-of-the-Rogue: The fact that Meyer did no research for her books also doesn't help her case. The entire last book is a load of BS if you ask me, mostly because it reads suspiciously like a very shitty internet fanfiction. The fact that my HIGH SCHOOL BIOLOGY can disprove every bit of science that Meyer uses to justify her lame-a** reasonings make me want to punt a kitten.

Then again, I did take AP Biology, and some of what Meyer talked about in terms of it made me want to cry. I think that she just pulled the AP crap out of her a** and thought: "THIS WILL MAKE BELLA MORE SMART-SOUNDING." I seriously despise this woman.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:09 pm
I enjoyed the books and still do but I haven't read them in about a year. I just got tired of them after reading them three times in a row and the more I look back the more I realize the whole series reads like a fanfiction if you think about it.  

Queen-of-the-Rogue

Merry Muse

16,700 Points
  • Wintersday Bard 50
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Advent Attendee 50

The Kraken

Dapper Dabbler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:11 pm
Hell, there's even some fanfiction on the series that reads better than the series itself.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:19 pm
The Kraken
Hell, there's even some fanfiction on the series that reads better than the series itself.
There's fanfiction on the internet for the series itself that's better than it. In fact, I've read some really amazing fanfiction that would put some published work to shame.

Twilight Scribe

Queen-of-the-Rogue

Merry Muse

16,700 Points
  • Wintersday Bard 50
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Advent Attendee 50
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:44 am
Twilight Scribe
The Kraken
There's fanfiction on the internet for the series itself that's better than it. In fact, I've read some really amazing fanfiction that would put some published work to shame.

Heck there's a fanfiction version of a book by my favorite author which came out about a year before the book did. It was soooooo much better than the book. The characters didn't seem OOC and it was more believable than the actual book. A lot of people have joked that the author read the fanfic version and that's why the book was so different because the author of the fanfic had based her story around what we had been told the book would have in it.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:23 pm
Queen-of-the-Rogue
Twilight Scribe
The Kraken

Heck there's a fanfiction version of a book by my favorite author which came out about a year before the book did. It was soooooo much better than the book. The characters didn't seem OOC and it was more believable than the actual book. A lot of people have joked that the author read the fanfic version and that's why the book was so different because the author of the fanfic had based her story around what we had been told the book would have in it.

Fascinating.  

Twilight Scribe

Queen-of-the-Rogue

Merry Muse

16,700 Points
  • Wintersday Bard 50
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Advent Attendee 50
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:01 pm
Safe to say Stephanie could have done better on Breaking Dawn. It would have been more believable if some Cullens and Volturi died. Not the ending where everyone skips of merrily into the sunset with their lives intact.  
Breaking Dawn

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff