Depressive Realism Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

the_underworks

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:10 pm
I quote from Wikipedia (god):

"Depressive realism is the proposition that people with depression have a more accurate view of reality, specifically that they are less affected by the positive illusions of illusory superiority, the illusion of control and optimism bias."

Could it be that the gothic subculture (or label) was created by bunch of mentally ill people?

I have read up on the theory (in another few places other than wikipedia) and my reasoning comes from the fact that almost every gothic rock band
(well at least properer ones such as Christian Death or Bauhaus) have lyrics or images projected by them validating the theory. Assuming my theory is right, goth = nutters smile ... ... ...

Sorry for my mediocre conclusion.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:35 pm
Are you attempting to imply that goth = depression? confused  

Death of Cool

the_underworks

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:23 pm
Death of Cool
Are you attempting to imply that goth = depression? confused
Not literally, I'm implying that goths are depressively realistic razz  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:50 pm
Not necessarly depressive, just accepting there-of and willing to acknowledge. Taking those things and removing their power by an open display of them, I suppose.  

Angel of the End

PetreyDish

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:56 pm
I thought that study mostly discussed how attractive we view ourselves to be versus how attractive we actually appear to the masses?  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:03 pm
PetreyDish
I thought that study mostly discussed how attractive we view ourselves to be versus how attractive we actually appear to the masses?

Very good point made sweatdrop  

Angel of the End

Spooky Wasabi Princess

Proxy Risk-Taker

14,850 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:59 pm
Depressive Realism sounds like something someone made up to feel better about being up themselves. Don't sound right to me.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:33 pm
spooky_sez
Depressive Realism sounds like something someone made up to feel better about being up themselves. Don't sound right to me.
Would you like some references?  

the_underworks

Spooky Wasabi Princess

Proxy Risk-Taker

14,850 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:39 pm
I just don't think that being depressed makes you realistic. Being depressed makes you depressed.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:14 am
The only thing that study said was that there was a possibility that some level of self deception is commonly used in order to live a mentally healthy life. Particularly concerning self esteem issues.

It didn't say Depression = Realism.

I thought it was an interesting idea. It also fits in with a bunch of other psychological theories, like the Ideal Self, for one.  

PetreyDish

Ametrin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:02 am
Or the other way round... Observing the reality of the world truthfully will make you depressed. Or at least it will make it difficult to avoid getting depressed. I'm afraid this is true.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:14 am
Luz Melian
Or the other way round... Observing the reality of the world truthfully will make you depressed. Or at least it will make it difficult to avoid getting depressed. I'm afraid this is true.

I can't really agree with this, though. Depression is an entire thinking disorder stemming from low self esteem, negative thinking patterns, and a great many other things. It's often considered anger turned toward the self and internalized. Viewing the world more realistically should not make you clinically depressed, and it will not by itself.

"Depressive realism is the proposition that people with depression have a more accurate view of reality, specifically that they are less affected by the positive illusions of illusory superiority, the illusion of control and optimism bias."

Illusoy Superiority is the belief that you yourself are somehow better than those around you, with no actual reason behind it.
Illusion of Control is the belief that you have complete control over your life, your actions, your thoughts, and what happens to those around you, despite a lot of evidence to the contrary.
Optimism Bias is just assuming things will go well for you because "how could it not?"

The reason why the depressed aren't blinded with these illusions is because they're too busy being blinded by other ones revolving around guilt, shame, general unhappiness, worthlessness, hopelessness, helplessness, haplessness, etc etc.

Also, I'm sorry if I sound cranky at all. I've been up all night finishing an essay. sweatdrop  

PetreyDish

Angel of the End

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:16 pm
Far too many people buy into the illusion of control, if you ask me... and far too many are happy because they firmly, subconciously believe, "If I believe this, that makes it true, and because it's true, meaning everyone who disagrees is wrong, I am better and higher up on the food chain and have much much more value as a mortal being than they do." -face/palm- Oh how many people are like this... (Like when I say I don't eat meat... a ton of people are offended by that... it is a bit more on the annoying and hypocritical side, considering I am not angry at them for choosing to support killing innocent creatures when we have no such need in all reality, why are they angry at me for not tossing my money into a pit of blood and loss of life, and for no legit reason? Alot of my friends parents get angry at me, and at them... several of my friends tried to become vegetarians, and a few of their parents decided to serve meat for every meal and force them to eat it or not let them eat! One friend lasted 1 week without food, after that, she finally had to give in... perfect example right there.)

The things above are some that really depress me, personally.... -shrugs-  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:03 am
I don't think that this is nessicarly true.
I think that Goths just happen to be more open to the fact that there is negativery in the world. I'm not sure if its a 'depressive' veiw as such but more of a realistic veiw.  

redtearsblackwings

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:30 pm
Peter Murphy looks like a pretty well-functioning fellow.  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff