Reply ~ Main Forum ~
The Questioning of Goth Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

the_underworks

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:37 pm
Lately, I have been a horrible whining victim of myself. Yes, I am clinically depressed (which not so long ago I used to refer the condition as frail, useless, lazy, attention craving, broken individuals who don't want to help themselves). Anyways... to make a long story short, I am currently taking some time off work to seek help and consult professionals in the matter.

During one of the consultations, the professional in question, asked me about the music I listen to, why I wear the the clothes I wear, what kind of people do I think make good friends, and questions of the sort. In my best interest, I answered the professional truthfully. Obviously, the professional recommended to wear brighter colors, listen to U2 and to get *normal* friends.

To be honest, I found that a very ignorant proposition. But every now and then, I question the recommendation.

I personally would like to hear your opinion on the subject (not on me);

Can the stereotypical "dark and gloomy* goth subculture (in general) have an impact on mental health?
Can it contribute to certain mental disorders?
What do you think about it?

I personally believe not. I even personally believe my current condition could have been much more severe if not exposed to the fact that life is not all roses and butterflies or if I have not made friends not consisting of chavs and halfwits.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:35 am
I think the only people who are affected negatively by the Goth culture already have a pre-existing mental condition making this the case.

It all depends on the problems the individual faces and what they perceive Goth to mean. For instance, if a person has antisocial behavioral issues, and is using the Goth aesthetic solely to scare those around them and distance themselves from family and friends, I'd say there's a problem. However, this doesn't really lay with the culture itself, but with the person's use of it and what they believe it to be.  

PetreyDish

Angel of the End

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:56 am
PetreyDish
I think the only people who are affected negatively by the Goth culture already have a pre-existing mental condition making this the case.

It all depends on the problems the individual faces and what they perceive Goth to mean. For instance, if a person has antisocial behavioral issues, and is using the Goth aesthetic solely to scare those around them and distance themselves from family and friends, I'd say there's a problem. However, this doesn't really lay with the culture itself, but with the person's use of it and what they believe it to be.

I agree: I actually got into the subculture at the worst time of my life, and in reality, it helped me through depression. Now, 4 years later, despite mother always telling me that I should care more what people think (I love her, though), I am usually as happy as a clam ^^ Whatever that means...
Like she said, it depends on the person. Follow who you are and what you think will help, not what other people say... if you are curious, ask them why they think this and ask them to further explain.
((Btw, might wanna buy your councelor Gothic Charm School book... most people don't understand, and it's not really their fault.))  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:04 am
Angel of the End

((Btw, might wanna buy your councelor Gothic Charm School book... most people don't understand, and it's not really their fault.))

As hypocritical as it may sound, I'm starting to think that I am the one who should read the book. sweatdrop  

the_underworks

Sautana

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:17 am
the_underworks
Angel of the End

As hypocritical as it may sound, I'm starting to think that I am the one who should read the book. sweatdrop

I'm lookig for the book as well... Unfortunately books like these cant be found in my country gonk gonk gonk

Anyways To answer your question...

I would say it will depend on the person who handles the situation. The mind is a complex part of our body and everyone has a different one. May it be deciding if your going to eat or not. It may also depend on the morals you were raised with that make people who they are now. So yeah in general it depends on the person  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:29 am
Some people can be more sensitive to these things than others- if it's something you truly enjoy, it probably isn't what's wrong. It could also be a chemical imbalance in the brain, which can be treated with medication.  

Satan on Speed

Angel of the End

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:20 pm
the_underworks
Angel of the End

Ah, no worries ^^ besides, no one can know everything (or even close to) about something, let alone anything. ((Still a lovely book for even the most knowledgable of us within the culture to read.))  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:33 pm
I think the fact that this 'professional' even suggested that shows more than a little ignorence. If this 'professional' thinks that clothing and music attribute to mental defects then you may just want to check his credentials.

I have seen nothing that suggests this subculture has any effect on mental health and it is ridiculous to think that is contributes to any mental disorders at all!

Spooky Wasabi Princess

Proxy Risk-Taker

14,850 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Magical Girl 50

xX Lord Despair Xx

5,100 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:41 am
I think what that professional said was bullshit(excuse the language).
Enough said. I cannot even comment on how wrong that person was. That story was just another example on how people assume stereotypes.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:45 pm
spooky_sez
I think the fact that this 'professional' even suggested that shows more than a little ignorence. If this 'professional' thinks that clothing and music attribute to mental defects then you may just want to check his credentials.

It's a long standing fact that color affects mood, to the point where pretty much every psychology class teaches it. Clothing may not cause depression, but surrounding yourself with dark colors all the time can certainly amplify depression.
What are your credentials exactly, that you feel qualified to question the legitimacy of his therapist?  

Death of Cool

j3ll0_m0nk3y

High-functioning Shapeshifter

17,000 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Conquerer of Familiars 350
  • Ghost Hunter 250
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:27 pm
While I don't think you should completely sever your ties to the gothic subculture, it wouldn't hurt to broaden your interests a bit. That's not to say that you should get an entirely new wardrobe, throw out all your old cds, and tell all your goth friends to hit the high road, but you shouldn't focus on being all doom and gloom all the time. I guess what I'm saying is that, while goth can be a part of who you are, you'll probably be happier if it isn't ALL of what you are.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:55 pm
xxrackellaxx
While I don't think you should completely sever your ties to the gothic subculture, it wouldn't hurt to broaden your interests a bit. That's not to say that you should get an entirely new wardrobe, throw out all your old cds, and tell all your goth friends to hit the high road, but you shouldn't focus on being all doom and gloom all the time. I guess what I'm saying is that, while goth can be a part of who you are, you'll probably be happier if it isn't ALL of what you are.

while that may be a good idea, what if that doesn't help him? if this is who he is, (and i don't know you at all person in question), wouldn't he be happier staying they way he is? trying to be something else you're not can cause alot of problems. i don't know if that was what you were saying, but i do belive that his lifestyle is not a part of the problem. what makes you happy cannot make you insane. unless it was drugs, or something of that sort.

and yet i'm no doctor so whatever i say has no base, but i have always been firm in the belief that anyone who analyzes people and their problems for a career have more of an interest in the money, and not their patient, and that this particular psychiatrist in his case will say just about anything, because maybe he feels that his lifestyle is the problem. WE all know thats a load of bull, but maybe his doctor doesn't. this guy obviously does not have an invested interest in his patient so he's not going to take the time out to help him in the way that he really needs help, and not just give out some mundane advice. people outside of the goth subcultre always come to these kind of conclusions. so i wouldn't take it in too much offense. meanwhile, maybe you can make me cupcakes? cupcakes are always full of cheer. *semi-sarcasm*
whee  

Ayame_Rikimayu

PetreyDish

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:07 pm
Ayame_Rikimayu
xxrackellaxx

while that may be a good idea, what if that doesn't help him? if this is who he is, (and i don't know you at all person in question), wouldn't he be happier staying they way he is? trying to be something else you're not can cause alot of problems. i don't know if that was what you were saying, but i do belive that his lifestyle is not a part of the problem. what makes you happy cannot make you insane. unless it was drugs, or something of that sort.

and yet i'm no doctor so whatever i say has no base, but i have always been firm in the belief that anyone who analyzes people and their problems for a career have more of an interest in the money, and not their patient, and that this particular psychiatrist in his case will say just about anything, because maybe he feels that his lifestyle is the problem. WE all know thats a load of bull, but maybe his doctor doesn't. this guy obviously does not have an invested interest in his patient so he's not going to take the time out to help him in the way that he really needs help, and not just give out some mundane advice. people outside of the goth subcultre always come to these kind of conclusions. so i wouldn't take it in too much offense. meanwhile, maybe you can make me cupcakes? cupcakes are always full of cheer. *semi-sarcasm*
whee

What are you talking about? Every therapist has an invested interest in their client, no matter what. They are there to help the person through any emotional trauma or issues they need to work through. We don't have very much information on this therapist's recommendation, and making assumptions on his/her reasoning is foolish. As someone who is studying to become a psychologist, I can tell you that they are there to help their client and always be as empathetic as possible. Of course you're lifestyle can harm you, because, again it's all a matter of how an individual perceives what they are doing. And before you assume next time that "anyone who analyzes people and their problems for a career have more of an interest in the money, and not their patient", I kindly suggest you think about what you're saying.

This also applies to anyone who is quick to bash this therapist(/councilor/psychologist/psychiatrist, because I don't believe it was stated which this person is seeing), you don't know their reasoning, so how can you automatically just say "No, this person's advice is clearly wrong for every single person, no matter the case"? It was never once stated that this person found the entire culture essentially bad.

That being said, I don't know if the therapist's advice was actually valuable, because I know neither the poster nor this person trying to help them. Hopefully this person is actually helping you, because the act of helping others is supposed to be the driving force behind psychology as a whole. If they are not, I am deeply sorry, and hope you can find better help elsewhere. I also hope this therapist didn't just shrug and say, "Oh, go listen to U2, clearly that will change everything."  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:48 am
Though this does happen alot there are some psycollgest that think it is quite healthy to display yourself. My doctor happens to think that its a self converdence builder. She thinks its a really good way to pull out of depression as you can be your self. You are accepted and all those kind of things.  

redtearsblackwings

Requiem Dare

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:19 pm
I think it's more important to be who you are than it is to dress in bright colors and listen to popular music. If goth is who you are, there's no reason to be anyone else. I've found that it helps me get through my problems sometimes. Before I would just lie to myself and tell myself everything was always going to be okay if I waited long enough and prayed, but now I can look at my problems more clearly, and take action to make things better instead of just wishing things better, which almost always ended up making me more depressed when things go my way. I think that knowing life isn't perfect allows a better opprotunity to step back and look at it. The point is, just be yourself, and things might just end up okay. For me, dressing in pink and listening to U2 would just make me miserable- it's not me.

Your therapist might not nessicarially be wrong, but you have to decide for yourself what's best for you. Your therapist may or may not know, and are most likely just trying to help you. That's not to say that there aren't any bad, greedy therapists out there, but I think there are more good therapists than bad. Maybe trying out some different stuff would be good for you, I can't tell you because I don't know you. All I can say is be yourself.

~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff