Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gamers Promised Land, Gaia's Best Gaming and Pop Culture

Back to Guilds

Gaia's best guild for discussions and contests about Video Games, Pop Culture, general geek stuff, and any kind of discussion! 

Tags: Video Games, Pop culture, chatting, Internet, tournaments 

Reply Main Forum
Perfect World International Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:41 am
Well kids, it's happened. Nitnit found that he needs to play an MMO to waste a couple weeks of his life on.

Since no one at his school (Umass Lowell) wanted to play WoW due to the monthly fee, he convinced about 10 of them to download and play an MMO called "Perfect World International".

I'm only level 21 right now, so I don't know all of the game's secrets, but I've seen a fair share of them. Here's a breakdown.

- Completely free to pay, which the ability to buy "premium" items. (these include non-combat outfits, special looking mounts, items that increase exp for an hour, small things that aren't game breaking but make life easier)

- Large game world. As of posting this the game world is probably about 1/3rd of WoW's. Don't get me wrong, that's still pretty damn huge. There is going to be a free expansion pack for the game this winter that will add even more size to it.

- Very actiony. You can double jump very high in the air, PvP is fast paced, at level 30 you can get a flying mount that goes pretty fast (the angel race starts off with flying at walking speed)

- 3 races and 6 classes. Not a huge number, but they're all very well made and pretty decently balanced. There will be 1 new race/2 more classes with this winter's expansion

- Crafting is worth doing! Most of the best items in the game are from crafting only (Though you have to run through the top level dungeons to get the materials)

- 10 or so dungeons. Unfortunately only 2 or 3 of them are very big, and they are all pretty high level

- Decent graphics. Probably on par with everquest 2.

- Lots of events, guilds can fight for control over parts of the world, cool stuff like that.

- Extremely customizable character appearances. About on par or better than Oblivion's character creator.

I'll admit, it's not quite as refined as WoW, but I feel that for a 3D free MMO, this game is pretty top notch. If anyone is interested in playing, im on the Dreamweaver server of Perfect World International with the name "FinalVegeta" (most of my friends and I are making Dragonball Z characters, lol)  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:07 am
Sounds fun. If I ever feel like picking up another MMO, I'll be sure to give this one a shot.  

darkslasherX
Crew

The Ginger Dude

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:36 pm
That Does sound interesting and i wanted to know, for anyone one that has or had played lord of the rings online(not the best mmo but satisfying) if on the mines of moria, is it the largest dungeon in any mmo, i heard it's over 4 miles but is this true?  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:19 pm
I'd play this, but I doubt my computer could handle it.

On another note, I play on a WoW private server. Don't have enough/any income to fund the $15 or so you need per month.  

Raike99

Tron714
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:31 pm
hhmmm... I have nothing to play at the moment so im off to google it and check it out ninja

Raike99

On another note, I play on a WoW private server. Don't have enough/any income to fund the $15 or so you need per month.

I always wanted to do that but wasnt sure how. Any guidance would be appreciated.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:02 pm
Raike99

System specs are lower than wow I believe  

nitnit
Captain

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:14 pm
Tron714
hhmmm... I have nothing to play at the moment so im off to google it and check it out ninja

Raike99

I always wanted to do that but wasnt sure how. Any guidance would be appreciated.

It's considered pirating. Just so you know. (I know how you refuse to do such a thing)  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:44 am
A pirate?!?! Arrrgh mateys! I be a pirate! rofl

anyways, i dont like MMOs. The system lags because so many people are on it and i have to pay to go to better places. For instance, I was playing Wizard 101 (im not into childish games, but my girlfriend was there so i started one just to see her) and i had to pay to go to places where the next missions were. i was stuck in low-level areas and i couldnt move on. I just decided to not play MMOs from then on  

DJ Arctic Wolf

7,150 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Explorer 0

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:53 am
Frankly your example is irrelevant since every MMO is set up differently. In Perfect World all the areas are totally open, money is spent for items that enchance your experience (for example, 50 cents for a scroll that increases your exp gain by 50% for an hour or special mounts and stuff).

Regardless I'm currently no longer playing because I was only playing since I had friends here that were... and they all have video game ADD. 3 of them are off playing some new "tactics" based MMO, and the rest are back to random PC/console games.

Also I have nothing against pirating, as long as you post no direct links in these forums, it's just that I remember once that tron wanted to get system shock 2, but refused to pirate it even though it's no longer sold in stores. =P  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:38 pm
nitnit
Raike99

I have to run WoW on lowest resolution and I still lag pretty bad at points. My video card is ******** awful.  

Raike99

darkslasherX
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:50 pm
Raike99
nitnit
Raike99

I have to run WoW on lowest resolution and I still lag pretty bad at points. My video card is ******** awful.
Sounds like my computer. Although, for me, "lag pretty bad" means 10 fps, I dunno how bad it gets on yours.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:32 pm
darkslasherX
Raike99
nitnit
Raike99

Sounds like my computer. Although, for me, "lag pretty bad" means 10 fps, I dunno how bad it gets on yours.
Mine is even worse. Especially on the points with a lot of greenery.  

Raike99

Tron714
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:22 pm
nitnit

Also I have nothing against pirating, as long as you post no direct links in these forums, it's just that I remember once that tron wanted to get system shock 2, but refused to pirate it even though it's no longer sold in stores. =P

Actually I have no problem with pirating. I have issues with bit torrents. I dont know why... but they just make it harder to what I want to download. So downloading System Shock 2 was not a success. But I did get a good amount of useless files though!

Also, after graduating I am planning on making a server and might make a private server for WoW. Just for a few of my friends and others.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:17 pm
Tron714
nitnit

Actually I have no problem with pirating. I have issues with bit torrents. I dont know why... but they just make it harder to what I want to download. So downloading System Shock 2 was not a success. But I did get a good amount of useless files though!

Also, after graduating I am planning on making a server and might make a private server for WoW. Just for a few of my friends and others.
Unless you get a pretty well paying job, holding up a server would be kinda tough.  

Raike99

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:20 pm
Tron714
nitnit

Oh, I thought it was a pirating issue. If you use Utorrent, and download trusted torrents, torrenting is pretty good.  
Main Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff