Emotional Influences Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The Bookwyrm
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:01 pm
Being a scorpio, and a very typical one, I'm a very emotional person. Having spent the past few dealing with spell worrk, I've come to realize that focus and control can make or break the outcome of what I'm working towards. I've improved considerably in this aspect of things, but what I notice now more and more is the impact that leaving my emotions unchecked in my day to day life has.

A case in point would be extreme excitement. Any time, without fail, I get extremely excited about something, something goes wrong. Not just a minor hitch in the plans, but the whole thing goes to Hades in a hand basket faster than you can blink. At first I thought perhaps it was karma; that the negative built up and was set loose during a time when I'd feel it the most, but I've come to realize that this simply isn't the most likely explination. Mainly, because I really don't think I'm that terrible of a person. What I'm starting to question is whether or not that the mindless and unchecked release of emotion is possibly triggering some sort of backlash. If I'm not focusing it to achieve something, then I'm also not taking precautions to shield myself from or prevent this backlash.

Maybe I'm out in left field on this; I've never come across a whole lot in my readings that would really suggest this correlation, but it's just one of those things that just seems to make sense. Suggestions?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:49 pm
Makes sense. I'm a very typical Scorpio too, so I understand what you mean sweatdrop

This could explain why my healing seems to backfire so much. If I'm being too emotional in my spells/prayers/etc., that might mean I'm lacking focus and replying too much on emotional energy, which even if well-meaning, COULD be very unpredictable and produce unexpected or just plain opposite outcomes from what you wanted.

All in theory, of course 3nodding  

Atma311
Crew

4,350 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Conversationalist 100

Jameta
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:35 pm
Hmmm... it might be taht you do need to be aware of the energies released by emotion, for they do hold a lot of power behind them. I doubt that excitement, especially over a good thing, though, would naturally make things go haywire; vthey may be some "string attached", if you will, as to why that happens, physically and/or mentally. Following with the excitement, physically you may just start to go too fast and are not cautious; mentally, you might not be payig attention to details.

Thenn again, there's the possiblity that something could be 'triggered' to upset matters, since you've been working in the spell field. The cause (and resolution) lie with you, of course.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:57 pm
Emotions have a very strong tie to successful spellcasting. It's the difference between believing in your spell, and just going through the motions.

Like the saying goes "You have to have your heart in it."

Also, the few (twice) times I had cursed, both were during times of near blind rage.

(That's my gypsy side coming out; another tradition that puts heavy emphasis on emotions/spellcasting.  

blukattt
Crew

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:45 pm
Well, I don't think the answer is to shut out all emotion during spell-work. I've heard a lot of emphasis on how it's important to tap into the Younger Mind during magical workings, and the YM generally doesn't work in anything but emotions. Control is your best option. I'd say to try mediatating on the YM get to know it better so you can get it to the forefront during spells, and maybe cotnrol what emotions come out better.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:54 pm
Nihilistic Seraph
Well, I don't think the answer is to shut out all emotion during spell-work. I've heard a lot of emphasis on how it's important to tap into the Younger Mind during magical workings, and the YM generally doesn't work in anything but emotions. Control is your best option. I'd say to try mediatating on the YM get to know it better so you can get it to the forefront during spells, and maybe cotnrol what emotions come out better.

Oh, I know about that. I don't block emotion during spell work; I simply channel and control it to my benifit. But it's in day to day life it gets troublesome. Like if I get excited about a trip, it get cancled because of rain. I plan a party, no one shows up. I get pumped over a job interview, someone else gets the job. Honestly, it's like clock work. I get excited about going home for Christmas, and then I find out my dog is dead. Every single time I get excited, something awful happens. It's like a constant cycle of manic highs followed without fail by a crushingly depressing low.  

The Bookwyrm
Crew

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:53 pm
Gypsy Blue
Nihilistic Seraph

Oh, I know about that. I don't block emotion during spell work; I simply channel and control it to my benifit. But it's in day to day life it gets troublesome. Like if I get excited about a trip, it get cancled because of rain. I plan a party, no one shows up. I get pumped over a job interview, someone else gets the job. Honestly, it's like clock work. I get excited about going home for Christmas, and then I find out my dog is dead. Every single time I get excited, something awful happens. It's like a constant cycle of manic highs followed without fail by a crushingly depressing low.
Wow...

Okay, I thought you were just talking about spell-work. Damn, that sucks. Emotion shouldn't do that to you, I think it's something else.

P.S. - I'm sorry aobut your dog  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:00 pm
I wondered, whether it could be or not, which is why I've started to question if it's the unfocused release causing it. I suppose I should try experimenting by keeping a tighter leash on things, find a better outlet for what I'm feeling, you know?

And thank you for the condolences. It was a while ago now (back in my freshman year), but it's a hurt that never healed properly.

The Bookwyrm
Crew

Atma311
Crew

4,350 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:40 pm
*Big hugs for Gypsy* crying  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:11 pm
Gypsy Blue
It's like a constant cycle of manic highs
What do you mean by manic highs? Literally, or are you simply using hyperbole here?

Outlets are usually good. I write, other I know have other outlets. Doesn't have to be artistic, just make sure that things don't build up to much.  

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

WebenBanu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:20 pm
*hugs* Poor Gypsy!-_-

I wonder, though- and I may come off like a complete wet blanket- but perhaps you're just noticing the pitfalls more because you were excited about them before? Perhaps it's possible that things don't go to hell in a handbasket every single time you get excited, but when they do, of course it sticks in your memory. And then you remember all the previous instances where you were really excited and things didn't work out, and then you start thinking, "Man, every time I get excited, things turn out badly!" Things won't always be this way, but they happen from time to time, and depending on how you view it, it could turn into a vicious cycle.

Regarding emotions and life events, it's an interesting theory- and there is definitely something to be said about remaining aware of all sides even in the midst of extreme emotions. I don't think that you should shut them out, because as others have said, emotion plays a large part in Western-style magic.^_^ I'd also say that magic is a day-to-day occurence- the same principles that underlie spellwork are in effect 24/7. Excitement over something turning out well shouldn't cause the opposite effect- I would wonder, in fact, whether it isn't more likely that anxiety over your excitement causing things to go foul (conscious or not) might influence a less desirable outcome? Just a thought.^_^  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:33 pm
Gypsy Blue
Being a scorpio, and a very typical one, I'm a very emotional person. Having spent the past few dealing with spell worrk, I've come to realize that focus and control can make or break the outcome of what I'm working towards. I've improved considerably in this aspect of things, but what I notice now more and more is the impact that leaving my emotions unchecked in my day to day life has.

A case in point would be extreme excitement. Any time, without fail, I get extremely excited about something, something goes wrong. Not just a minor hitch in the plans, but the whole thing goes to Hades in a hand basket faster than you can blink. At first I thought perhaps it was karma; that the negative built up and was set loose during a time when I'd feel it the most, but I've come to realize that this simply isn't the most likely explination. Mainly, because I really don't think I'm that terrible of a person. What I'm starting to question is whether or not that the mindless and unchecked release of emotion is possibly triggering some sort of backlash. If I'm not focusing it to achieve something, then I'm also not taking precautions to shield myself from or prevent this backlash.

Maybe I'm out in left field on this; I've never come across a whole lot in my readings that would really suggest this correlation, but it's just one of those things that just seems to make sense. Suggestions?

I'm a Taurus on the cust of Ares. For those of you who don't know what that means, here it is: taurus are very stubborn, they have thier way, and do not budge. Ares are very agressive, easily angered. Add this to an Irish-German heritage, and I'm a fairly agressive person sometimes. As far as spell work, yes, it DOES effect the outcome. I find that if I calm down, switch mental tracks, and let things go, everything works out fine.

But the agression is good for some things. Like excorcisms.

Leith

blukattt
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:40 pm
Leith
I'm a Taurus on the cust of Ares. For those of you who don't know what that means, here it is: taurus are very stubborn, they have thier way, and do not budge. Ares are very agressive, easily angered. Add this to an Irish-German heritage, and I'm a fairly agressive person sometimes. As far as spell work, yes, it DOES effect the outcome. I find that if I calm down, switch mental tracks, and let things go, everything works out fine.

But the agression is good for some things. Like excorcisms.
Agreed. Emotions should never be "shut out" of any aspect of life, including spellwork. Our emotional side is one aspect of our three sides: Mental, Emotional, and Physical (or 4, if you include Spiritual.) We need all the sides to be balanced. Without that, casting spells would be like trying to launch a model rocket off of a ball: it may go straight up, but the slightest change in condition, and WHAM! You got a rocket stuck in your gut, or someone around you. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:18 am
Nihilistic Seraph
What do you mean by manic highs? Literally, or are you simply using hyperbole here?

More of a hyperbole to try and demonstrate the differences between the highs and lows. The outlet ideas are great; I write (or used to) quite a bit myself when time permitted, and more commonly I simply have a good long talk with a friend.

WebenBanu
I would wonder, in fact, whether it isn't more likely that anxiety over your excitement causing things to go foul (conscious or not) might influence a less desirable outcome? Just a thought.^_^

That's a very good thought, actually. I say things go so poorly *every* time I get excited is a bit of an over statement; it more when things have the chance to build up over a period of time; it has to be an intense sort of thing. So naturally there would be some anxiety in all of that even if it wasn't noticed, and that would put a different spin on everything.  

The Bookwyrm
Crew

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:39 pm
Gypsy Blue
Nihilistic Seraph

More of a hyperbole to try and demonstrate the differences between the highs and lows. The outlet ideas are great; I write (or used to) quite a bit myself when time permitted, and more commonly I simply have a good long talk with a friend.

WebenBanu
I would wonder, in fact, whether it isn't more likely that anxiety over your excitement causing things to go foul (conscious or not) might influence a less desirable outcome? Just a thought.^_^

That's a very good thought, actually. I say things go so poorly *every* time I get excited is a bit of an over statement; it more when things have the chance to build up over a period of time; it has to be an intense sort of thing. So naturally there would be some anxiety in all of that even if it wasn't noticed, and that would put a different spin on everything.
Just relax then i guess. Do your best, and if that isn't enough, accept it and go on with your life. Take whatever lesson from it that you can, and use it to your benifit.  
Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff