Ugh... Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Freak_090
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:55 pm
... Apperently the funds for my rifle will be cut short about $200 so I am now looking at ~$400 bolt action rifles in .308 . I would LIKE to have a Bull Barrel on the rifle but I know I'm asking a lot for that. If it comes with a scope, that too is an added plus

So far I am looking at:
Marlin XS7 (don't know a lot about them, haven't seen one in person either. However, I have heard great reviews.)

Howas (Don't know a lot about them but I've seen a few good things.)

Savages (most are slightly out of my range)

I am open to any suggestions right now, but so far this is what I've seen.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:23 pm
May be worth it to ask this question at surplusrifleforum.

I think someone on here has a CETME and I gave them some mags for it.
But I can't remember if they ended up working out or not.
Those cheap G3 mags that you could get a set of 6 or so for $20.

They may suggest a different manufacturer or 'rebuilder' for the CETME.

Oh!
I found a thread!

http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=76616  

OberFeldwebel

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:11 am
OberFeldwebel
I think someone on here has a CETME and I gave them some mags for it.
But I can't remember if they ended up working out or not.
Those cheap G3 mags that you could get a set of 6 or so for $20.
I think that was Brock, but I could be mistaken.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:53 am
OP Updated  

Freak_090
Captain

Ms Truffle

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:33 am
Almost all of the rifles I own are Marlins, and to be honest, I'm not pleased with them for target shooting. I don't need a $2,000+ race gun, and I don't reckon you do either, but 3-4MOA just isn't satisfying. Then again, they're all old hunting rifles for use within 100 yards, but I assume you'll want to shoot further than that.

Now, I don't know much about Marlin, and I could be terribly wrong, but that's my 2¢ on the Marlin rifles that I own.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:06 pm
Shrantics Pretentious Ego
Almost all of the rifles I own are Marlins, and to be honest, I'm not pleased with them for target shooting. I don't need a $2,000+ race gun, and I don't reckon you do either, but 3-4MOA just isn't satisfying. Then again, they're all old hunting rifles for use within 100 yards, but I assume you'll want to shoot further than that.

Now, I don't know much about Marlin, and I could be terribly wrong, but that's my 2¢ on the Marlin rifles that I own.

I've heard that older marlins aren't as good as the newer ones, same for Savage...

Also on the list for consideration is the Mossberg 100ATR  

Freak_090
Captain

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:22 am
Are lever actions out?

The Marlin 308MX has an MSRP of $615.
It's pretty much .308 Winchester but with a soft ballistic tip to stave off chain fire.
.308 Marlin Express.

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/308MarlinExpress/308MX.asp

Anyway,
http://www.galleryofguns.com/Genie/Default.aspx?item=XS7-308&mfg=Marlin&mdlno=XS7

The XS7 in .308 is much cheaper.
And seems to be what you're looking for sans scope.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:03 am
My advice would be to hold off if you don't need it right now for some reason. If you buy a rifle because you just want one, then you won't be as satisfied with it as the one you really wanted. Then in the future, you will just be saving up for the same rifle again, or repeating the process until you have a closet full of cheap rifles. Keep in mind that you will probably have this for the rest of your life, so be wise with what you get. Also, $200 shouldn't take forever to save up, so have a little patience.

Not sure if this helps, but it's what I think.  

Man of the Demoneye

Freak_090
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:35 pm
Man of the Demoneye
My advice would be to hold off if you don't need it right now for some reason. If you buy a rifle because you just want one, then you won't be as satisfied with it as the one you really wanted. Then in the future, you will just be saving up for the same rifle again, or repeating the process until you have a closet full of cheap rifles. Keep in mind that you will probably have this for the rest of your life, so be wise with what you get. Also, $200 shouldn't take forever to save up, so have a little patience.

Now, normally I would agree, but the Marlin XS7 seems to have everything more expensive rifles do, with the exception of an after market. The only down side is the regular barrel. A heavier one would be nice, but I think that this rifle has a lot of bang for my buck.

Also note that I am not paying for said rifle in-full, this is a Birthday present that I am only dropping a few bucks on.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:10 pm
Freak_090
Man of the Demoneye

Now, normally I would agree, but the Marlin XS7 seems to have everything more expensive rifles do, with the exception of an after market. The only down side is the regular barrel. A heavier one would be nice, but I think that this rifle has a lot of bang for my buck.

Also note that I am not paying for said rifle in-full, this is a Birthday present that I am only dropping a few bucks on.

Ah, alright. As long as it's what you want, go for it then. I was under the impression you had something very specific in mind.  

Man of the Demoneye

Freak_090
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:37 pm
well, I would love to have an M21 White feather, but I'm pretty certain thats not happening anytime soon.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:03 pm
Freak_090
well, I would love to have an M21 White feather, but I'm pretty certain thats not happening anytime soon.

M25, M21 is the Army's DMR platform. the M25 is made by Springfield Armory in honor of Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock.  

Buki_Actual

9,050 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Generous 100
  • Signature Look 250

Freak_090
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:04 am
Sgt Buckner
Freak_090

M25, M21 is the Army's DMR platform. the M25 is made by Springfield Armory in honor of Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock.

Meant to say," an M21 or a Whitefeather" sweatdrop

Also, the Marlin XS line excepts Savage barrels? Can anyone confirm this?  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:45 am

Given my experience with my girlfriend's Marlin Glenfield, I'm tempted to agree. The piece of s**t has a comb so ******** high it's physically impossible to line up the sights, and it's got this stupid piece of spring steel on the reciever whose only purpose is to cut you if you try to single-load rounds.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

uryu ishida

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:23 pm
Fresnel

Given my experience with my girlfriend's Marlin Glenfield, I'm tempted to agree. The piece of s**t has a comb so ******** high it's physically impossible to line up the sights, and it's got this stupid piece of spring steel on the reciever whose only purpose is to cut you if you try to single-load rounds.
Funny, all my Marlins are perfectly fine and accurate.

That's three DIFFERENT Marlin 39s (a 39A with extended hammer, Golden trigger, a plain-jane 39A, and a straight-stock carbine 39), and TWO 336Cs. They're accurate as can be, reliable as can be, and designed well. I can plink out to 100 with the 39A (GT) without any trouble. I don't shoot the others, because I prefer the extended hammer.

The 336 I shoot is accurate to 200 yards easy, even with the POS scope on it. It handles well, and is easy to use.

Marlins are perfectly fine.  
Buying and Advice

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces