Reply Gaia Gun Enthusiasts
A .308 AR-15

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Shrantic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:13 pm
So for a while now, I thought any .308 that I would care to purchase would be vastly out of my price range- but I was only half right.

Meet the DPMS Panther 7.62NATO Sportical:
User Image

Now, it costs around $900, so it is moderately out of my current price range- however, I'm willing to save up money for a few months, maybe 4-5, in order to chip in with my dad to purchase one.

The reason I'm looking forward to getting this gun, is that unlike the SKS, (which I would love so very, very much) it's pretty accurate. Not sub-MOA-at-300 yards-using-commercial-ammunition accurate, but if I do my part, it should make some pretty good groups up to at least 300 yards.

I also really like the cartridge- I was looking for something more powerful than .223, but still at least semi-affordable and very accurate. 7.62x39mm just doesn't fit that bill, despite being a great cartridge. And when I really think about it, I don't want to compromise quite that much on such a relatively expensive purchase. .308, on the other hand, is powerful enough to satisfy me, and accurate enough for my skills to be the limiting factor, and not my gun.

I say that because shooting a 3-4MOA .30-06 hunting rifle is NOT WORTH THE MONEY. crying

So, anyone got any advice on this gun? Besides "Oh no, the kick is terrible!"- the gun I shoot most often is a .30-06, and I can handle the kick of that just fine.

EDIT: It could also just be an AR-10 sort of rifle, but meh. The AR-15 and AR-10 are pretty similar in my eyes.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:54 am
Shrantic
EDIT: It could also just be an AR-10 sort of rifle, but meh. The AR-15 and AR-10 are pretty similar in my eyes.
The difference is that AR-10s are chambered for .308 and similarly long cartridges. Pretty much it. Stoner's AR-10 design was rejected by the army, so he downsized it to the AR-15.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Shrantic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:31 am
Fresnel
Shrantic
The difference is that AR-10s are chambered for .308 and similarly long cartridges. Pretty much it. Stoner's AR-10 design was rejected by the army, so he downsized it to the AR-15.
Ah. Well, this somewhat reminds me of some kind of b*****d child between the AR-10 and AR-15, with the collapsible buttstock and pretty much the overall design. It's probably just me, though. >.>

AR-15:
User Image

AR-10:
User Image

DPMS AR-10:
User Image  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:45 am
Shrantic
Fresnel
Shrantic
Ah. Well, this somewhat reminds me of some kind of b*****d child between the AR-10 and AR-15, with the collapsible buttstock and pretty much the overall design. It's probably just me, though. >.>

AR-15:
User Image

AR-10:
User Image

DPMS AR-10:
User Image
The collapsible stock is an M4 feature, really. It wasn't a Stoner design. The only real difference between the two is the length of the round they were chambered to fire.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Floyd

Quotable Prophet

14,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:08 am
Just abide by all the standard maintenance and upkeep you would give a standard M4 and this should give you years of very good performance, well within the accuracy range you desire.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:29 pm
CETME and clones are pretty cheap, as well. I hate that they maul brass (as a reloader), but they are damn cheap to buy, feed, and use. Magazines are cheap enough to almost be disposable!

Also, while many say you can, it's NOT at all a good idea to use x51NATO in something chambered for .308. THere is different headspacing and pressures involved. If you get a .308, you are stuck with .308WIN. I'll have to research more, but I'm confident that you can use BOTH x51 and .308WIN in a x51 rifle.  

uryu ishida

Shrantic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:58 pm
uryu ishida
CETME and clones are pretty cheap, as well. I hate that they maul brass (as a reloader), but they are damn cheap to buy, feed, and use. Magazines are cheap enough to almost be disposable!

Also, while many say you can, it's NOT at all a good idea to use x51NATO in something chambered for .308. THere is different headspacing and pressures involved. If you get a .308, you are stuck with .308WIN. I'll have to research more, but I'm confident that you can use BOTH x51 and .308WIN in a x51 rifle.
It's made for x51, but I just say .308 'cause I'm weird like that.
The gun.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:47 pm
Huh...
I wouldn't mind getting an AR-10.  

OberFeldwebel

Tier One OPERATOR

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:50 pm
uryu ishida

Ive heard the other way around, and also that in normal use there's no actual difference until you torture test it.

I like dpms , they're one of the lower quality AR makers, but the prices are reasonable and they're still not bad quality at all. Very good start points if you want to bastardize your own rifle like I do.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:35 pm
Horrified Survivor
uryu ishida

Ive heard the other way around, and also that in normal use there's no actual difference until you torture test it.

I like dpms , they're one of the lower quality AR makers, but the prices are reasonable and they're still not bad quality at all. Very good start points if you want to bastardize your own rifle like I do.
Actually, I've decided that I'm going to save up for this beautiful gun, and then duracoat it red/white. biggrin  

Ms Truffle

Tier One OPERATOR

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:48 pm
Shrantics Pretentious Ego
Horrified Survivor
uryu ishida

Actually, I've decided that I'm going to save up for this beautiful gun, and then duracoat it red/white. biggrin

rock river is pretty much the s**t
next rifle will be on one of their lowers
only because Karie lowers are impossible to get  
Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas