Welcome to Gaia! ::

◇ Xtreme Skilled Knights ◇

Back to Guilds

An army of many is more powerful than an army of one. 

Tags: everything, anime, poetry, clan, gold, fun, knights, skilled, RP, games, music, advice, vending, webcasts, booty grab, contests, art, music, zOMG, Wii, Xbox, Playstation, PC 

Reply Guardian Statue__________-______ Hacks and scams protection
Something about Gaia you should know. Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

goLd
  yUMmy
View Results

I Am Mother G

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:39 am
xxxxx x
I hear people complaining about Gaia Mods all the time. &, of course, I'm complaining about Gaia's insane way of enforcing their ToS all the time. I think I've found out the cause of both of the above.

The following is from the official "Questions & Answers" sticky in Gaia about becoming a site Moderator.

Quote:
"Q: Do I have to report a certain number of ToS violations to apply?

A: Yes, you need to have reported at least 100 ToS violations within the last 6 months to qualify. You may not know how many reports you have made, but when we review your application, your report history is reviewed and we will verify both the quantity and quality of your reports.

If you report violations regularly when you see them, it helps Gaia and it increases your chances of becoming a Moderator. So, report often and report accurately."

So, basically Gaia is demanding that people spend a ton of time looking for the slightest little things that might possibly violate ToS, & report them because they want to be a Moderator. So there's tons of people running around this site doing the Site Moderators job, because they're trying to become a Site Moderator so they can do the exact same thing they're already doing.

I personally think this is completely ridiculous, & bugged me enough to put it in the main forum. Moderating a site should demand more from you than an excessive series of attempts at punishment. I'm sick of seeing so many people banned for such dumb reasons.

The Mutual Disclosure Agreement that they have you sign before you fill out the Moderator Application is anything but mutual if/when put into practice, too, but I won't bore you with their legal flaws & inconsistences, I've already bored Oxy to death with it, to say the least.

Anyway, what do you all think of that?

Relevant links:
Moderator Applicaton FAQ
Apply to become a moderator

Quote:
"If you feel that a specific moderator is targeting you unfairly for abuse or taking advantage of their powers, please send an email to membertalk@gaiaonline.com. Keep in mind that this is for serious, legitimate complaints after you have already PMed the moderator in question asking for a clearer explanation regarding an action."

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:14 am
yahoo furst  

UZUMAKI_NARUTO_RASENGAN

6,650 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Critic 0
UZUMAKI_NARUTO_RASENGAN rolled 13 20-sided dice: 18, 13, 5, 7, 18, 15, 4, 10, 2, 15, 2, 16, 17 Total: 142 (13-260)

UZUMAKI_NARUTO_RASENGAN

6,650 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Critic 0
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:59 am
woah  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:50 am
That's lame. Reporting people just to become a moderator.  

Thedevilmaster

7,150 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • First step to fame 200

ShinSora

Romantic Genius

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:11 pm
Well, here is what people do to be successful at reporting.
~ They provoke you in order for you to brake the rules and be reported
~ They become "friends" with you and wait for a chance for you to trust the and break the rules
~ They go around towns reading private conversations and report when they get a chance
~ And there is more, like people who might reports us for "saying bad stuff about moderators"
Well, that's my opinion, and I'm pretty sure everyone would agree with me, Am I right?  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:28 pm
Well that's a tad . . . stupid.
So people are getting other people removed for like, nothing?
I'm going to k-
((ToS has dubbed the following text))
give those children a stern talking to! They need to realize that even though their heart is in the right place, they are hurting people!
whee

LittleRockLeeLover

6,100 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
  • First step to fame 200

Angeless-Scars

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:48 am
That's so lame!!! So, most people are here just to report others... That's stupid, I didn't knew....  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:05 pm
Well that's to be expected I guess :/  

Legendary G

Distinct Genius

Sieffre

Wheezing Genius

7,450 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:25 pm
That's absolutely insane.
I do hope that the number of reports isn't the only thing that they look for when reviewing a person for the position.
There are so many other things that are more important, like the person being being fair, having good leadership skills, being good at resolving conflicts, etc.
And what if someone who reports 100+ minor infractions (like bad language/spamming) of the rules is chosen over someone who only reported 50 people for more serious rule-breaking like scamming or harassment?  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:56 am
you missed a few things
most ppl who do report an insane amount of things dont tend to be moderators because it would be considered abusing the report button
and plus gaias ToS rules dont band u for jsut one report,unless it is hacking or scripting or anything that actually causes some harm
but things such as cursing obly gets u banned from the town for a while,
abusing the market gives u a suspension on ur market license for at least 3 months but normally it can last for a long time....

and since gaia only allows a certain amount of moderators most ppl dont become one,and msot dont even meet requirements  

axl the azn boi

3,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Dressed Up 200

Necrotic Master

Shy Lunatic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:20 am
Why does people want to become a moderator anyway? Is it just like I Am Mother G says? They're doing the moderators job just so they can become a moderator and do what they're already doing? Or are they searcing for some special treatment or what?  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:03 am
nice one  

i_will_wait

Greedy Bloodsucker

7,250 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100

axl the azn boi

3,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:13 am
u no whats so weird...why do u want to be a moderator
u have to be on gaia for at least 5 days a week,have at least idk 20 reports every mouth
all that hard work,without getting paid or anything
and not to mention if u end up slipping on ur job for messed up reports,u have a higher chance of being banned....  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:59 am
It's cruel but sadly every word is true. People these days desire power more than fun or friends. It's retarded, and lack of intelligence.  

R0bot0
Crew

Patriotic Guildsman

9,425 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Contributor 150
  • Citizen 200

Sieffre

Wheezing Genius

7,450 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:19 pm
axl the azn boi
u no whats so weird...why do u want to be a moderator
u have to be on gaia for at least 5 days a week,have at least idk 20 reports every mouth
all that hard work,without getting paid or anything
and not to mention if u end up slipping on ur job for messed up reports,u have a higher chance of being banned....

Because they're that dedicated to Gaia.
At least that's what I like to think. Some people will inevitably do it for the power.  
Guardian Statue__________-______ Hacks and scams protection

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff