Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Requiem ex Inferni

Eloquent Streaker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:25 am
Quote:
NAIROBI, Kenya – Somali pirates attacked the Maersk Alabama on Wednesday for the second time in seven months and were thwarted by private guards on board the U.S.-flagged ship who fired off guns and a high-decibel noise device.

A U.S. surveillance plane was monitoring the ship as it continued to its destination on the Kenyan coast, while a pirate said that the captain of a ship hijacked Monday with 28 North Korean crew members on board had died of wounds.

Pirates hijacked the Maersk Alabama last April and took ship captain Richard Phillips hostage, holding him at gunpoint in a lifeboat for five days. Navy SEAL sharpshooters freed Phillips while killing three pirates in a daring nighttime attack.

Four suspected pirates in a skiff attacked the ship again on Wednesday around 6:30 a.m. local time, firing on the ship with automatic weapons from about 300 yards (meters) away, a statement from the U.S. Fifth Fleet in Bahrain said.

An on-board security team repelled the attack by using evasive maneuvers, small-arms fire and a Long Range Acoustic Device, which can beam earsplitting alarm tones, the fleet said.

Vice Adm. Bill Gortney of the U.S. Naval Forces Central Command, said the Maersk Alabama had followed the maritime industry's "best practices" in having a security team on board.

"This is a great example of how merchant mariners can take proactive action to prevent being attacked and why we recommend that ships follow industry best practices if they're in high-risk areas," Gortney said in a statement.

full article

These guys just don't learn, do they?  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:45 am
LRADs suck. Arm them with Ma Deuces. Effects are permanent, it's less likely to fail, and it has a longer range.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Maddness91

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:44 pm
Requiem in Mortis
they don't need to learn... even if they get 1 out of 100 ships, that's still millions and millions in profit... and the 99 that they do get stopped? oh no, they took away our 8 guns and 2 ladders, and sent us on our way... Q.Q...

successful business model is successful... xp  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:59 pm
Maddness91
Requiem in Mortis
they don't need to learn... even if they get 1 out of 100 ships, that's still millions and millions in profit... and the 99 that they do get stopped? oh no, they took away our 8 guns and 2 ladders, and sent us on our way... Q.Q...

Like Fres said Use an M2 and it's problem solved.

Personally I think any captured pirates should face being drawn and quartered or some other horrid punishment. Put the fear into their hearts and they will not be as likely to ******** with merchant ships.  

Desert_Fox_Rommel

Maddness91

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:15 pm
Desert_Fox_Rommel
Maddness91
Requiem in Mortis

Like Fres said Use an M2 and it's problem solved.

Personally I think any captured pirates should face being drawn and quartered or some other horrid punishment. Put the fear into their hearts and they will not be as likely to ******** with merchant ships.
that wouldn't slow then down in the least... they have nothing to loose going after these ships... they're dirt poor and 1/2 likely to die in a war anyways... may as well try to be the 1:100 that succeed...

and the LRAD's and M2's arn't really "problem solved"... most of these pirates are coming up in from the back of the boat in little fishing boats and such... hard to spot in the daylight let alone the night time... once there on board, it's a lot harder than just turning on your speaker phones...  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:25 pm
Ok so scare tactics won't work. Still an M2 is much more effective. You've got a better chance of stopping them if you are armed than if you just hope they leave you alone.  

Desert_Fox_Rommel

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Desert_Fox_Rommel
Ok so scare tactics won't work. Still an M2 is much more effective. You've got a better chance of stopping them if you are armed than if you just hope they leave you alone.

Just keep blowing them out of the water, they'll run out of boats and or people some time.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:30 pm
There's no being tactful on the open seas, just watch Black Lagoon.

The proper response is a few hundred .30 to .50 (preferably both) caliber holes in their boats until they give up, or are all dead.  

ArmasTermin

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:53 pm
Every crew member of every ship in Somali waters should be armed and qualified to use it. Frangible rounds, if at all possible. The Japanese didn't ******** with Mainland America because of all our guns, let's see if the Somalis are any smarter.

That said, Somalia should take a page out of Nigeria's book and start scamming little old ladies in the US out of money. A fool and his money are soon parted and all that.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:00 pm
Overkill doesn't exist. Too much is never enough.  

Desert_Fox_Rommel

Maddness91

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:07 pm
Fresnel
Every crew member of every ship in Somali waters should be armed and qualified to use it. Frangible rounds, if at all possible. The Japanese didn't ******** with Mainland America because of all our guns, let's see if the Somalis are any smarter.
$ $ $ and man power... cargo ships arn't meant to carry big guns and such... they are meant to carry stuff from 1 port to another, as cheaply as possible... i.e. packed to the brim, and as few ship men as possible... if u add big guns to the picture, wages would increase heavily, added on to more men needed to man said guns IF there is an attack...

i agree with the use of LRAD's and small arms and security teams and such, but the idea of equipping cargo ships w/ guns meant for war ships, when they're against 8 guys in a row boat seems excessive... (InB4 no such thing as overkill)

that and maritime law prevents / restricts certain merchant ships from carrying heavy / light weaponry into certain merchant ports (IIRC)... i'm not quite up to date with my flag state requirements xp

OberFeldwebel
Desert_Fox_Rommel

Just keep blowing them out of the water, they'll run out of boats and or people some time.
that;s what they said about Iraq... boats are made every day, people are born in abject poverty every day... cant win'em all...

how about we combat the real problem of poverty without resorting to tied-aid?... no? yeah, didn;t think so... (excuse my global issues class mind warping xp )

Desert_Fox_Rommel
Overkill doesn't exist. Too much is never enough.

it is when costs and profit loss is concerned xp  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:28 pm
Maddness91
Fresnel
$ $ $ and man power... cargo ships arn't meant to carry big guns and such... they are meant to carry stuff from 1 port to another, as cheaply as possible... i.e. packed to the brim, and as few ship men as possible... if u add big guns to the picture, wages would increase heavily, added on to more men needed to man said guns IF there is an attack...

i agree with the use of LRAD's and small arms and security teams and such, but the idea of equipping cargo ships w/ guns meant for war ships, when they're against 8 guys in a row boat seems excessive... (InB4 no such thing as overkill)

that and maritime law prevents / restricts certain merchant ships from carrying heavy / light weaponry into certain merchant ports (IIRC)... i'm not quite up to date with my flag state requirements xp
Well, in that post I was referring to sidearms. I'd like to see a bunch of Somalis storm a ship where every crewmember has a shotgun.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Maddness91

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:59 pm
Fresnel
Maddness91
Fresnel

Well, in that post I was referring to sidearms. I'd like to see a bunch of Somalis storm a ship where every crew member has a shotgun.
oh, when u said japan didn;t ******** w/ mainland USA because of the guns, i assumed it was because of guns that took out warships...

but yeah, i do agree w/ arming the crew members in theory... sure they may deter a few attacks, save some money for the corperation... but then 3-4 of the crew men die in a bad defense... is 3-4 lives worth a boat and it's cargo? the lawsuits and insurance fiasco's? (perhaps... 9/11 killed 3000 people, started a war that cost ~$700B xp ) anyways, if i was paid to sail a boat, i wouldn't put myself in the position to get shot for someone else's cargo... i wouldn;t give a ******** what my contract with the company said... life > items / job

this brings in the private security contractors to do that... but they cost alot of money... and the ship prolly won't get attacked anyways... ALOT of ships go around the horn, only a few get attacked... are you gong to pay to have a big team of guys on every one of your ships for every voyage it makes? well apparently that;s what corporations are deciding now xp  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:00 pm
Maddness91

OberFeldwebel
Desert_Fox_Rommel

that;s what they said about Iraq... boats are made every day, people are born in abject poverty every day... cant win'em all...

how about we combat the real problem of poverty without resorting to tied-aid?... no? yeah, didn;t think so... (excuse my global issues class mind warping xp )

Eh, I suppose it's an exercize in futility.
Anyway, doesn't mean that we should leave our ships open for attack.

Make a pleasure cruise out of it.
Take civilians on board to protect the boat.

I know, it's been suggested and I'm not sure if it's fake or not, has actually been made available.  

OberFeldwebel

Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces