Reply Cosplays! (Tips, pictures, WIPs)
Fran (Final Fantasy XII) My Second Cosplay EVAR! Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The_Manly_Succubus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:20 pm
The first time I seriously thought about cosplaying, it was after reading a magazine and seeing a picture of this AMAZING cosplayer in it. She, to this day, is still the most amazing Fran I’ve ever seen, but I didn’t know who she was dressed as at that point. xD Then, a couple of years later I bought FFXII and started playing and HOSHIT, there’s that character she was. Lol.

My best friend really wants to cosplay Ashe, and we wanted to do a group. Soon, other friends were wanting in, and I decided to do Fran. It sounded like a good idea at the beginning. Dx

This cosplay took years off my life, I SWEAR. So many things went wrong, didn’t work, I ran out of time, money materials, OH LORD.

But in the end it was TOTALLY worth it.

Fran is only my second cosplay, so I think I did VERY well considering my inexperience. Ha ha ha.

In the making of Fran, I studied the game a whole lot. I looked at tons of pictures. I looked at other cosplays and asked how they did things and the like. I asked around, got ideas and then set to work. I hardly ever plan things out (which a nasty habit), so it was a lot of trial and error. Ha ha ha.

I still think there are many things that I could make better. She is far from being complete. I would like to make the body suit from pleather. I would like to re-do all my armor and turn my ears around to face the side, AND GET THE FUR TUCKED IN, GRARRRR. I want to get a better wig and style it correctly and maybe some new heels.

She’ll always be a work in progress. Ha ha ha.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:23 pm
People always ask how I made what, what I did this out of, etc. So I’m going to go ahead and write down all of the materials and methods that I used. :3 I liked how everything turned out and I want to pass my knowledge on! MY methods were simple, pretty cheap and can be time consuming. If there are still any questions about supplies or my methods, feel free to PM and ask. I’m really friendly and I’d LOVE to help.

The Armor

Craft Foam Sheets—these can be bought in sheets in any craft store and range from about $1-2, depending on the thickness. You can also buy it in a big roll online. I wish I had known this. ;_; For thickness, I’d recommend 3mm. What I did was use 2mm pieces and superglued them together to make them thicker. Trust me. Thick is your friend. And black. That’s your friend too.

3-Dimensional Fabric Paint— ($2.50). Also known as puffy paint.

Black Spray Paint--- ($4) Acrylic paint is fine too. Spray paint is much faster though. I bought the basic generic kind from the store. :3

Mode Podge--- ($7- cool Okay, it’s a splurge, but it’s NECESSARY. I cannot stress this. If you want your armor shiny, get the gloss kind, if not, get the matte.

Loctite Super Glue--- ($5) This is the only brand I will ever use. This is the best brand ever, and you can get it in a big bottle at the store for about $5. You can also order online in economy size. :3

Wedding Sheer Fabric—This s**t can be expensive, so browse the sale racks. I got mine for half off. The panel of fabric on the front of her chest piece is ALMOST clear, so find the sheerest stuff you can. :3 I only need half a yard.

The Body Suit

Black Dance Leotard with long sleeves—I bought mine at Wal-mart for about $8. It’s was a child’s large but it fits perfectly. I’m 5’9”, so, I’m big. xD It’ll fit most, I promise.

Red Ribbon—($2)

The Ears

Poster Board—($.49) Yea, the kind you do school projects with.

Short, White fur—I bought half a yard, and it was PLENTY.

Pink Felt—Again about half a yard.

Black Sharpie

Methods will come a little later.  

The_Manly_Succubus

The_Manly_Succubus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:33 pm
Here are my pictures! IT's quite a few, but I'm a cosplay whore, and I love to show off. x3

User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:34 pm
I tried to pick shots that show my armor from far away, up close. The cosplay as a whole. From behind and the front, etc, etc. That's why there are so many. xD  

The_Manly_Succubus

mew Aeris
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:58 pm
BEAUTIFUL!

I absolutely love it, especially for a second cosplay.

I think it's perfect the way it is, but I have some hints for what you want to revamp. For the body suit, I'd highly recommend making a version out of cotton or another cheap and soft fabric first, to see how it fits. Pleather is very hard to work with; it doesn't like to curve. And the cotton layer can be attached to the inside for comfort. Pleather on bare skin is HORRIBLE, especially all day at a convention.

For the armor, think about using different thicknesses of foam for different pars. I can't really explain, but this tutorial has a great section on that.

This tutorial uses cheaper materials, and gives better pictures. I use this technique more often

And the Ears... use an exact-o knife or scalpel to trim the fur enough so you can tuck it in, then glue another piece of foam underneath to hold it in place.

but please please please be carful! Just recently I sliced my finger open with a scalpel, and I had to go to the emergency room. You'd get blood all over your pretty white fur!

But Like I said, I think it's AMAZING as it is!!! 8D  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:29 pm
mew Aeris
BEAUTIFUL!

I absolutely love it, especially for a second cosplay.

I think it's perfect the way it is, but I have some hints for what you want to revamp. For the body suit, I'd highly recommend making a version out of cotton or another cheap and soft fabric first, to see how it fits. Pleather is very hard to work with; it doesn't like to curve. And the cotton layer can be attached to the inside for comfort. Pleather on bare skin is HORRIBLE, especially all day at a convention.

For the armor, think about using different thicknesses of foam for different pars. I can't really explain, but this tutorial has a great section on that.

This tutorial uses cheaper materials, and gives better pictures. I use this technique more often

And the Ears... use an exact-o knife or scalpel to trim the fur enough so you can tuck it in, then glue another piece of foam underneath to hold it in place.

but please please please be carful! Just recently I sliced my finger open with a scalpel, and I had to go to the emergency room. You'd get blood all over your pretty white fur!

But Like I said, I think it's AMAZING as it is!!! 8D

Thanks for all the ideas! ^.^

I tried that armor technique, but it wasn't quite right for Fran. :/ Lol. My armor had to be really thick, and I had to walk like a pregnant lady so my legs wouldn't rub together. It was HILARIOUS.

I've already fixed my ears-- I just made new ones. I didn't make the fur long enough before, that's why I couldn't tuck it in. xD

A new bodysuit won't be for a loooooong time. I need to learn how to sew first. x3

Thanks for the suggestions though! 8D  

The_Manly_Succubus

mew Aeris
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:08 pm
No problems!

What was your first costume? just out of curiosity...  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:02 pm
Fran is my second Cosplay. :3

My first was Seung Mina. Lol. It was hot glued together. It was awesome. xD  

The_Manly_Succubus

mew Aeris
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:35 am
Atari-555

Awesome!

Oh, and you should go to Threadbangers if you want to learn/practice sewing. They have lots of fun projects with step-by-step videos.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:51 pm
wow very good fran! congrats.  

Alma_Frostangel

Wistful Conversationalist

20,325 Points
  • Cheerbringer 100
  • Generous 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100

foxy-san

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:47 pm
User Image WOW! thats awsome!! ^^  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:50 pm
mew Aeris
Atari-555

Awesome!

Oh, and you should go to Threadbangers if you want to learn/practice sewing. They have lots of fun projects with step-by-step videos.

Oh, I have. xD. My sister-in-law turned me to that site, and I love it. Doesn't change the fact I've broken every single machine I used just by sitting down. Looool.

My friend is helping me. She be an awesome sewer. We're starting off easy with another cosplay. :3

@Alma_Frostangel & neku and cookies o_o; Thank you very much. 8D  

The_Manly_Succubus

The Real Raijin
Vice Captain

6,900 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:19 pm
It liked that you went so far into the details of the accessories, ya know?
Well, I have a few things I have to work on as far as my Raijin Cosplays and upgrading cosplays always seems to be an ongoing process, ya know?
Plus everybody, has a big con that they go to that half-completed cosplays are looked down on. Mine would be anime-expo in Los Angeles, CA.

Good luck though Atari.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:13 am
This is gorgeous! You must have spent a lot of time into it!  

Linnifred

Friendly Friend

The_Manly_Succubus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:44 pm
Thanks guys :3

To answer a few questions that I keep getting asked--

Fran was made on about $60.
And she only took about a month to make-- and that wass working off and on.  
Cosplays! (Tips, pictures, WIPs)

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff