Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Miscellaneous Threads
Getting in shape for cosplay - Support~ Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 18 19 20 21 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Suicide Skittle

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:08 am
I thought it would be nice to start a thread for people planning to lose weight or tone up in order to accomplish a dream cosplay or just fit in it better.

Here we can post our goals, progress, and accomplishments.

So if you just want to tone up or if you need to loose weight post your goals here!

I think that if people post what they want to do and then reply weekly or so it will be that much more of a motivation in their weight loss/toning up.
You don't need to post your weight if you're uncomfortable doing so, just post some goals you have for the week or in general. :3

Also; Keep in mind a lot of anime characters are stick skinny and in many situations it'd be healthier and more attractive to weigh more then they do.

RULE: Be supportive. This rule is pretty simple. Within it lies; don't be a jerk.

Make sure to be healthy~ Make sure you're eating healthy. Not nothing at all.

Also; I'm probably going to be giving tips to everyone that posts, just keep in mind I'm not educated in health and fitness and you should take everything I say with a grain of salt. <3

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:09 am

Kay so I guess I'll start -

So when looking for people to cosplay I knew from the beginning I would have to commit to losing some weight. I'm 5'10.5" and I weigh about 185 so I'm not obese but I'm definitely not fit enough to do most of the cosplay I'd really like to, accurately. THEN when I found the characters I wanted to do, I realized I'd have to focus on toning up as well, since a lot of the characters have short skirts, showing stomachs, and overall revealing clothing. (Fran from FFXII, Starfire from Teen Titans, Dark Magician Girl from YuGiOh, Sailor Jupiter from Sailor Moon, ect.)

So I'm planning on needing to diet and exercise for about five months straight. I'd like to get down to 145lbs so in five months I'd like to loose 40 pounds.

So eight pounds a month, two pounds a week. I think it's a reachable goal.

My Goals overall -

Workout -
1-2 Hours of gym work out 5-6 days a week.
10 minute ab workout 7 days a week.
Squatz n' oatz ;P

Diet -
Cut out soda~
Cut out fast food~
Cut out Chips and Sweets~
Eat more Lean Meat (Chicken, Fish, Turkey)
Drink 8 glasses of water a day~
STOP EATING THOSE SUBWAY COOKIES D;<<
((I work at Subway and we have to throw away the cookies that aren't bought at the end of the night and I ALWAYS end up taking some home.))

Other
Go Grocery shopping for healthier foods
-Pick up stuff to incorporate into 5 small meals a day that I can carry around campus.

Okay now five months of this seems rather foreboding, but I'm planning on giving myself a little leeway. For instance; I can eat fast food once a month, and when I do still choose something healthy-er. That way, if I can't avoid it or want to go out to eat with my friends this will work well.

Then I'll post my progress, roadblocks, troubles, updated goals, and thoughts in ONE WEEK on Thursday December 17th. :3

Suicide Skittle

SakuraRico

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:56 am
actually, you already have a good plan set up, and I know you can do it.

My first dream cosplay that's actually affordable (By that I mean hopefully less than 200 dollars) is Testament from Guilt Gear, and he's skinny like I used to be. But I'm not skinny anymore! I went from 120 to 180 in the time I have been in Puerto Rico! I want to get back down to at least 130 pounds and then I'll have the body I need. Problem is, I'm taking bakery classes, and staying away from those sweets is just too hard >.< Plus, i'm not doing any exercise, as I lead a lazy, sedentary life...

DAMN ME!!!! LESS SWEETS AND MORE EXERCISE!!! >.<

I'll post when I plan on starting working for the cosplay ^^  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:46 pm
This caught my interest seeing as it's one of the first that I've seen in a cosplay guild.

I honestly don't know what else to say aside from stating the fact that I'm trying to loose weight. I'm 5'7.5", about 187 lbs right and according to most people, I wear my weight well, whatever that means. However, being able to 'wear it well' doesn't help me. I've been trying for about a year and a half now to try and loose the weight around my hips and butt seeing as that's were my body likes to put it. Seeing as I'm transgendered, this doesn't help the whole 'looking like a guy' thing. I mean sure, I don't have much of a chest but my weight is what makes it difficult. Plus, I only cosplay male characters and having hips/butt doesn't help that either.

I don't have much of a plan aside from exercising a lot, seeing as my diet is pretty healthy. I don't drink soda, don't eat much candy, and my most of my diet is steamed vegetables, chicken, cereal, water, and veggie sandwiches. My metabolism is pretty crappy though (it runs in the family, what can I say) so that could be a major part of it.

So......this is about as much of a plan as I can make right now:

-Exercises on Boflex (yeah, my mom is a consumer whore and got one) for about 20 minutes a day
-Sit ups for about 10 minutes a day
-whatever we do on PE days
-DDR on weekends
-measure about of cereal and milk before eating it/get cereal that isn't my brother's sugar crud
-check with doctor about taking green tea pills to boost metabolism

.....................I honenstly can't think of anything else. I'm trying to loose somewhere around 20 lbs before Anime Boston in April but that might be too high of a goal. I'll have to see when my next check up is or I just might make an appointment with the nutritionist. Whatever, I just want to loose my girly hips and butt.

Myopsida

Demonic Dabbler

9,475 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Overstocked 200

Suicide Skittle

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:39 pm
SakuraRico
actually, you already have a good plan set up, and I know you can do it.

My first dream cosplay that's actually affordable (By that I mean hopefully less than 200 dollars) is Testament from Guilt Gear, and he's skinny like I used to be. But I'm not skinny anymore! I went from 120 to 180 in the time I have been in Puerto Rico! I want to get back down to at least 130 pounds and then I'll have the body I need. Problem is, I'm taking bakery classes, and staying away from those sweets is just too hard >.< Plus, i'm not doing any exercise, as I lead a lazy, sedentary life...

DAMN ME!!!! LESS SWEETS AND MORE EXERCISE!!! >.<

I'll post when I plan on starting working for the cosplay ^^

Dayuhmm~ He's got some abs D;
Are you going to work on toning up as well or are you going to focus on just getting the weight right??

Oh that Puerto Rican food. xD (I really don't know anything of the food >.>;; )

OH goodness.. My 'dream' job is probably a baker or a cake decorator or something! That's so cool! However, I see your point. I have enough issues staying away from subway cookies, I would probably die in a bakery.

:3
I hope to hear from you when you have your plan all worked out and are committed to getting in shape. <33

-Blow Out Your Eardrums-
This caught my interest seeing as it's one of the first that I've seen in a cosplay guild.

I honestly don't know what else to say aside from stating the fact that I'm trying to loose weight. I'm 5'7.5", about 187 lbs right and according to most people, I wear my weight well, whatever that means. However, being able to 'wear it well' doesn't help me. I've been trying for about a year and a half now to try and loose the weight around my hips and butt seeing as that's were my body likes to put it. Seeing as I'm transgendered, this doesn't help the whole 'looking like a guy' thing. I mean sure, I don't have much of a chest but my weight is what makes it difficult. Plus, I only cosplay male characters and having hips/butt doesn't help that either.

I don't have much of a plan aside from exercising a lot, seeing as my diet is pretty healthy. I don't drink soda, don't eat much candy, and my most of my diet is steamed vegetables, chicken, cereal, water, and veggie sandwiches. My metabolism is pretty crappy though (it runs in the family, what can I say) so that could be a major part of it.

-Exercises on Boflex (yeah, my mom is a consumer whore and got one) for about 20 minutes a day
-DDR on weekends
-measure about of cereal and milk before eating it/get cereal that isn't my brother's sugar crud

.....................I honenstly can't think of anything else. I'm trying to loose somewhere around 20 lbs before Anime Boston in April but that might be too high of a goal. I'll have to see when my next check up is or I just might make an appointment with the nutritionist. Whatever, I just want to loose my girly hips and butt.

Yeah I definitely know what you mean. Pear shaped bodies are the most common in girls from what I've seen and that definitely woudln't help for male clothes. Your diet does look good, also make sure you're not eating 'really' sugary cereals. With your diet the way it is a 'treat' shouldn't hurt you too much but you might want to still look out for those.

Also one way to boost your metabolism, from what I've read, is to eat 5 small 200-300 calorie meals every day, it makes your metabolism work thoughout the day. I know it's hard with school but the meal plan tends to work out like

Healthy Breakfast (8am)
Snack (10am)
Healthy Lunch (12pm)
Snack (3pm)
Healthy Dinner (6pm)
Optional Nighttime snack. (8pm)

Make sure to eat breakfast within' an hour before waking up and then two to three hours in-between eat your next snack/meal. Snacks can consist of things like Fiber bars... just make sure you get ones with lots of fiber. I personally love the Apple Strudel ones. Snacks can also be many other things just try make sure they are 200 calories or less.

Another healthy snack I read about is cutting a cucumber in half and digging out a bit of the middle to make a 'boat' type of thing, then wrap a halved slice of string cheese in turkey and put it in the boat. You can make two at one time and they taste GREAT!

Also, DDR is fun and I did loose about 10lbs on it when I first got it, but from what I've heard it's not really the best way to go about loosing weight. ((I'm really not sure why))

If its not too inconvenient and if you or your family already have a gym membership, I would suggest on weekends just trekking it to the gym. There are a lot more cardio machines there that would help. :3

OH Also, a bowflex sounds great and I wish my mom would buy one, but cardio is really what you should be focusing on. I would say that just taking a fast walk/jog outside would be best, but considering it's winter and depending on where you live, I don't want you slipping and breaking your neck, I would again suggest looking into talking your mom into a gym membership.

If she bought a bowflex I think she'd be okay with a gym membership. x3

Honestly there is no 'spot training' but since the majority of your weight is in one place, the majority of your weight-loss should also be in that area. :3

I don't think 20 pounds in 4-5 months is too high of a goal. However, I don't know how your body looses weight, but bear in mind 20 lbs is definitely a possibility that you can reach if you work hard. Also if you end up not being able to lose weight with diet and exercise ((AGAIN I really do recommend cardio)), then it's really time to see your doctor and ask what's going on.

Also for a 'first week' plan I think the one you have listed is pretty good. Maybe next week update it a bit to add some of the suggestions I've made or anything your nutritionist tells you if you see him in the next week. :3

((Keep in mind these are my opinions and what I've read, I am in no way 'actually' educated about any of this.))

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:41 pm
Suicide Skittle
-Blow Out Your Eardrums-

-DDR on weekends

Yeah I definitely know what you mean. Pear shaped bodies are the most common in girls from what I've seen and that definitely woudln't help for male clothes. Your diet does look good, also make sure you're not eating 'really' sugary cereals. With your diet the way it is a 'treat' shouldn't hurt you too much but you might want to still look out for those.

Also one way to boost your metabolism, from what I've read, is to eat 5 small 200-300 calorie meals every day, it makes your metabolism work thoughout the day. I know it's hard with school but the meal plan tends to work out like

Healthy Breakfast (8am)
Snack (10am)
Healthy Lunch (12pm)
Snack (3pm)
Healthy Dinner (6pm)
Optional Nighttime snack. (8pm)

Make sure to eat breakfast within' an hour before waking up and then two to three hours in-between eat your next snack/meal. Snacks can consist of things like Fiber bars... just make sure you get ones with lots of fiber. I personally love the Apple Strudel ones. Snacks can also be many other things just try make sure they are 200 calories or less.

Another healthy snack I read about is cutting a cucumber in half and digging out a bit of the middle to make a 'boat' type of thing, then wrap a halved slice of string cheese in turkey and put it in the boat. You can make two at one time and they taste GREAT!

Also, DDR is fun and I did loose about 10lbs on it when I first got it, but from what I've heard it's not really the best way to go about loosing weight. ((I'm really not sure why))

If its not too inconvenient and if you or your family already have a gym membership, I would suggest on weekends just trekking it to the gym. There are a lot more cardio machines there that would help. :3

OH Also, a bowflex sounds great and I wish my mom would buy one, but cardio is really what you should be focusing on. I would say that just taking a fast walk/jog outside would be best, but considering it's winter and depending on where you live, I don't want you slipping and breaking your neck, I would again suggest looking into talking your mom into a gym membership.

If she bought a bowflex I think she'd be okay with a gym membership. x3

Honestly there is no 'spot training' but since the majority of your weight is in one place, the majority of your weight-loss should also be in that area. :3

I don't think 20 pounds in 4-5 months is too high of a goal. However, I don't know how your body looses weight, but bear in mind 20 lbs is definitely a possibility that you can reach if you work hard. Also if you end up not being able to lose weight with diet and exercise ((AGAIN I really do recommend cardio)), then it's really time to see your doctor and ask what's going on.

Also for a 'first week' plan I think the one you have listed is pretty good. Maybe next week update it a bit to add some of the suggestions I've made or anything your nutritionist tells you if you see him in the next week. :3

((Keep in mind these are my opinions and what I've read, I am in no way 'actually' educated about any of this.))

I believe we still have a gym membership at YMCA but my parents don't want to get up until noon or come home until about 4 normally. My mom's kind of lazy and my dad is a workaholic. Maybe I can talk my mom into going seeing as she wants to start working out. And if that doesn't work, I can just use the exercise bike we have. Not sure if it works but it's worth a try.

Only problem with the eatting five meals thing is that I have to be up and out of the house by 6:45. My high school thinks it's a good idea to have kids need to be at school for 7:20 or so. I normally eat breakfast at about 6 or so and our school thinks it's cool to have lunch 6th period of the day which is at about 12:30. Oh high school, why hate scheduling? xD I could try to work something out but I have no idea how it will. I normally just have a 1/4 of cashews for a snack with is only about 130 calories but dad doesn't want to keep buying them but he won't buy any fruit wither because it's not in season.

I doubt I can set DDR up seeing as dad steals the tv downstairs until about 9. The boflex is alright but like you said, we do need some cardio. I think my mom is looking into getting a tredclimber too but who knows with her.

I could look into getting an appointment sooner than when I have it which is probably during the summer. Only problem is working around therapy but that's not too bad.

Thanks for the help. :] Hopefully something works this time.

Myopsida

Demonic Dabbler

9,475 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Overstocked 200

SYMcardPATHY

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:06 pm
Oh snap!
I'm not alone. :3

Honestly, I've been promising myself to work out and eat healthier to lose weight. And for about a week (if I'm lucky), all is well. Unfortunatley, I would much rather be on the computer than exercising, and I tend to eat whatever I want whenever I want it.

So my diet is not at all healthy.

Fortunatley, I have a fairly decent metabolism, probably because I eat every few hours. So I'm 5'5" and about 175lbs. Or somewhere around there. Average, I'd say.

It's all in my hips, thighs, and... well, chest. XD

I'm a vegetarian, pretty recent, and so I don't think I've been eating very healthily at all. I skip on all the meat and just take the sides at dinner, and usually have cheese pizza for lunch. I have veggie burgers and such, but I totally don't have the money to buy enough for me to survive off of.

My next chance to cosplay will not be until June, so I have six months to lose approximately forty pounds. So really, losing six or seven pounds a month would be decent.

As far as my work-out plan, I'm not sure. I think that if I actually did some exercise, the pounds would flush out pretty nicely. I think I might still have a gym membership. And I have Wii Fit. XDD

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:30 pm
I plan on Cosplaying Chibi Trunks
User Image and at the moment I am eatting Yougart. I am 5'2 and weigh around 182- 175. I have an hour glass type figure and I am trying to loss a healthy ammont of weight and still have some muscles for Trunks. My plan is to

Give up Drinking Soda
Drink more Water
Eat less Junk food
Eat More Fruits, Veggies, and Yougurt
Play DDR at least three hours a Day
Walk around my block for at leas an hour a Day
Do Squats, Sit ups, Crunches, and Push ups a day

I have until july 23rd to lose some weight. if anyone else has some tips to share please let me know XD  

UkeSebastian

6,000 Points
  • Voter 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Statustician 100

faelixir

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:58 pm
Oh goodness, I've found the thread for me!

Okay, let me share my deal:

I am planning on cosplaying as Haruhi Suzumiya (Season 1 outfit from the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya), and obviously I'm going to have to lose some weight for this. I'm 5'1'' and roughly weigh around 160 pounds in nothing but underwear, and I don't think I can pull off Haruhi's outfit like I am now. So, in time for Dragon*Con 2010 (which will take place in 9 months), I hope to lose 40+ pounds. I aiming for 40 first because I think I at least can do that much. My metabolism is nonexistent. After 3rd grade, it was gone...although everyone on my mother's side is huge so I assume it runs in the family with me too.

My work out plan is as follows:
I don't necessarily have a time limit, but I run 2 miles every day if possible. When my running partner has work, I ride my exercise bike at my house for 30 minutes-1 hour. The occasional push-up or sit-up finds its way into the workout as well. I also try to dance whenever I get the chance (not DDR, just to popular songs).

My diet so far:
I'm working on this part, so suggestions are more than welcome. I have officially cut out chips (except for Sun Chips in case I need a salty snack) and chocolate. I'm cutting out cake and other candy (except for breath mints). I'm also trying to stay away from beef even though it is my favorite meat (sorry Mr. Moo-Cow!), and eat more chicken. I would cut out soda's altogether if I didn't have such a terrible caffeine addiction...I can barely go a few hours without something that has caffeine in it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:23 pm
I think i can help!!

I've joined a conditioning class at my dance studio, and in 3 months, have seen WONDERFUL results. I avoided weighing myself for a while in order to just feel good about myself, but i did do a weigh-in last week and yesterday. i went from 141 to 137 :3

We have a workout we do, it's HELL on the obliques the day after, but pays off. We use the "Turbo Jam" workout video, specifically the "Ab Jam" section.

QUICK WORKOUT:
25 jumping jacks
25 crunches
25 push-ups
30 seconds of wall-sits. (lean your back against the wall and slide down into a sitting position, like an invisible chair is underneath you.)
15 burpees (Jump into the air, spring down to a push-up position, and back up into the air.)
16 supermans (lay on the ground on your stomach, lifting your opposite arm to leg and holding for a second, then lowering.)
10 laps around the room. (20 if the room's small.)

Start with that, and when you can, add more of each exercise. The work-out should take about 15 minutes when done correctly.

This builds muscles and burns fat, i can prove it!

Hope this helped at least a little~

EDIT: seeing as people have posted other factors i forgot, i'll put them here XD

well uhm, i'm 14, 5'5, been vegetarian for 4 years, currently 137 lbs, and i really just wanna be in shape for a spur-of-the-moment cosplay, no real set date. ((Well, maybe August of next year but... >>'))

FreakingCosmicKid

burgawinosourus

Toothsome Phantom

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:03 pm
I really want to reach a weight of 140-160. I eat healthy and exercise regularly. I just seem to have not that fast of a metabolism and I don't think I burn enough for how much I consume.

I'm 5'11-6'0 and right now I weight about 200 pounds. So 140 seems like an okay weight. Maybe a bit too thin but I think I'll probably get down to 160. I have a lot of muscle mass as well.

Not much else to say except I lost about 2 pounds this week. I'll keep up to date when I can. :3  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:14 pm
-Blow Out Your Eardrums-

I believe we still have a gym membership at YMCA but my parents don't want to get up until noon or come home until about 4 normally. My mom's kind of lazy and my dad is a workaholic. Maybe I can talk my mom into going seeing as she wants to start working out. And if that doesn't work, I can just use the exercise bike we have. Not sure if it works but it's worth a try.

Only problem with the eatting five meals thing is that I have to be up and out of the house by 6:45. My high school thinks it's a good idea to have kids need to be at school for 7:20 or so. I normally eat breakfast at about 6 or so and our school thinks it's cool to have lunch 6th period of the day which is at about 12:30. Oh high school, why hate scheduling? xD I could try to work something out but I have no idea how it will. I normally just have a 1/4 of cashews for a snack with is only about 130 calories but dad doesn't want to keep buying them but he won't buy any fruit wither because it's not in season.

I doubt I can set DDR up seeing as dad steals the tv downstairs until about 9. The boflex is alright but like you said, we do need some cardio. I think my mom is looking into getting a tredclimber too but who knows with her.

I could look into getting an appointment sooner than when I have it which is probably during the summer. Only problem is working around therapy but that's not too bad.

Thanks for the help. :] Hopefully something works this time.

Ahh, so you don't have a car/can't drive yet? Is there no bus in your town? A bike is probably the least effective cardio, but at least it's cardio! I know five meals a day is REALLY challenging. I'm having so many issues with it.

For you I would suggest
Breakfast 6:00 or whenever you eat
Snack sometime inbetween classes around 9:00 ((Cashews are not too good for you. Salt dehydrates you and you need to stay hydrated. And they're definitely not filling. imo anyways. )) I would suggest just carrying around the high fiber bar. jYou get five in a box and they're not too expensive.
Then you have your scheduled lunch around noon.
Then follow the schedule I posted before. :3

Yeah I don't think it's too important to see a nutritionist or your doctor unless nothing else is working, so at least try the diet and exercise for a few months before resorting to that. :3

I hope it works for you this time too!! <3

SYMcardPATHY
Oh snap!
I'm not alone. :3

Honestly, I've been promising myself to work out and eat healthier to lose weight. And for about a week (if I'm lucky), all is well. Unfortunatley, I would much rather be on the computer than exercising, and I tend to eat whatever I want whenever I want it.

So my diet is not at all healthy.

Fortunatley, I have a fairly decent metabolism, probably because I eat every few hours. So I'm 5'5" and about 175lbs. Or somewhere around there. Average, I'd say.

It's all in my hips, thighs, and... well, chest. XD

I'm a vegetarian, pretty recent, and so I don't think I've been eating very healthily at all. I skip on all the meat and just take the sides at dinner, and usually have cheese pizza for lunch. I have veggie burgers and such, but I totally don't have the money to buy enough for me to survive off of.

My next chance to cosplay will not be until June, so I have six months to lose approximately forty pounds. So really, losing six or seven pounds a month would be decent.

As far as my work-out plan, I'm not sure. I think that if I actually did some exercise, the pounds would flush out pretty nicely. I think I might still have a gym membership. And I have Wii Fit. XDD
Oh man! I know EXACTLY what you mean!! The computer is the devil in my life... but I can't stay away. D:
Wow! I'm glad that you're already at the stage of eating ever few hours!
Ooohh... Yeah I was vegetarian for about a year in 08 but while you'd THINK that it'd be healthier... I personally tended to eat more unhealthy things. Such as fries, and cheese pizza, and other things like that. Also bocca burgers and veggie meat ((I LOVE the ribblets... try them!!)) while they're much healthier they're also MUCH more expensive and hard to have them every day.
Have you considered being a pescetarian? You know eating fish and what not?? Fish are REALLY healthy and it would be good to consider. ((Though I personally can't STAND the taste of fish, if you like them I think you should consider it for the health benefits.))
Uhmm... hmm... other than the veggie meats... try to eat more fruits and stuff instead of the processed food and DEFINITELY instead of pizza D;
You can still eat noodles... so... maybe try a vegetarian stir fry! My friend and I get together chop up a bunch of veggies and throw it in with some rice and noodles. It's DELICIOUS and if you cut out some of the noodles and rice it's healthier.
Gym membership = WIN
Wii fit... I don't have one and so I'm afraid I have no opinion on this. xD If you think you get a decent workout from it then go for it!
Just remember CARDIO~!!
Strength training is important too, but for the first few weeks I'd definitely focus on cardio in particular since it really helps with weight loss.
And you can TOTALLY loose 40 pounds in six months if you focus~! <33

Definitely check out some of the foods available to you as a vegetarian and see which ones are healthier.
Also check out your gym membership and if you have one try to plan to workout in it a few times a week. :3

CheshireCatCloud
I plan on Cosplaying Chibi Trunks and at the moment I am eatting Yougart. I am 5'2 and weigh around 182- 175. I have an hour glass type figure and I am trying to loss a healthy ammont of weight and still have some muscles for Trunks. My plan is to
Give up Drinking Soda
Drink more Water
Eat less Junk food
Eat More Fruits, Veggies, and Yougurt
Play DDR at least three hours a Day
Walk around my block for at leas an hour a Day
Do Squats, Sit ups, Crunches, and Push ups a day

I have until july 23rd to lose some weight. if anyone else has some tips to share please let me know XD

Hmm... You seem very committed! Make sure not to overload yourself though, you might end up giving up at some point. If you ever get to that point just tell yourself that instead of THREE hours of DDR you'll do 1 hour, but still walk around the block and do some crunches.
For this week just cutting down on the junk food is good but I would consider planning on cutting them out entirely in a few weeks.
Also, do you live in a dangerous neighborhood or are not allowed to leave the block? If not I'd consider changing your scenery every once and a while. Also hills are awesome.
Your plan looks really nice though!
If you want Muscles for Trunks your squats/situps/crunches/pushups are helping, I would also consider some more weight training from machines and even those cheap dumbbells. Most gyms and even many schools tend to have good strength training type equipment that you should consider. So if you're in school or have a gym member ship you should check out their equipment ((For cardio as well. My favorite machine is the elliptical.))

Scary Miss Merry
Oh goodness, I've found the thread for me!

Okay, let me share my deal:

I am planning on cosplaying as Haruhi Suzumiya (Season 1 outfit from the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya), and obviously I'm going to have to lose some weight for this. I'm 5'1'' and roughly weigh around 160 pounds in nothing but underwear, and I don't think I can pull off Haruhi's outfit like I am now. So, in time for Dragon*Con 2010 (which will take place in 9 months), I hope to lose 40+ pounds. I aiming for 40 first because I think I at least can do that much. My metabolism is nonexistent. After 3rd grade, it was gone...although everyone on my mother's side is huge so I assume it runs in the family with me too.

My work out plan is as follows:
I don't necessarily have a time limit, but I run 2 miles every day if possible. When my running partner has work, I ride my exercise bike at my house for 30 minutes-1 hour. The occasional push-up or sit-up finds its way into the workout as well. I also try to dance whenever I get the chance (not DDR, just to popular songs).

My diet so far:
I'm working on this part, so suggestions are more than welcome. I have officially cut out chips (except for Sun Chips in case I need a salty snack) and chocolate. I'm cutting out cake and other candy (except for breath mints). I'm also trying to stay away from beef even though it is my favorite meat (sorry Mr. Moo-Cow!), and eat more chicken. I would cut out soda's altogether if I didn't have such a terrible caffeine addiction...I can barely go a few hours without something that has caffeine in it.

Okay, first how long does it take you to run 2 miles? 15-30 minutes? I would consider having maybe an hour of workout five times a week. Maybe with your 2 miles add in your bike exercise. Also the 'occasional' push up and sit up... I'm not sure how to take that. How many do you usually do? You probably won't get to much from like ten or so push ups. I would consider looking for an actual ab work out. Personally I LOVE my Pump it up Ab work out. I know I know "I can't/won't pay for that" However if you search around the internet you should be able to find a free version like I did.

You can TOTALLY loose that weight by then! <33

Hmm... I know chips are hard to cut out, but they're sooo unhealthy. The salt party especially. The salt tends to dehydrate you and in general you need to stay hydrated. If you just CAN'T cut out the chips try to drink more than 8 glasses (recommended amount) of water a day. Breath mints I TOTALLY agree with. They help curb the appetite and they make your breath smell sooo nice. <33

Yes~ Stick with chicken, turkey, and fish. Also, you might consider trying turkey bacon. It kind of tastes like bacon... Either way it tastes really good and it might be able to curb your cravings for beef. OR even go out and buy some Bocca burgers! They're made out of veggies and soy but they still taste really good. Oh! Also make sure to stay away from the breaded chicken. That's really not good for you.

Oh! About the caffeine. I thought I had a caffeine addiction as well, but I actually just couldn't stay away from carbonated drinks. I would suggest trying diet sunkist, it's carbonated, has five calories, and is overall much better for you.

If you ARE one of those people that are just really addicted to caffeine and get a headache when you don't get any, try switching to diet pop/soda.

DattebayoPrincess
I think i can help!!

I've joined a conditioning class at my dance studio, and in 3 months, have seen WONDERFUL results. I avoided weighing myself for a while in order to just feel good about myself, but i did do a weigh-in last week and yesterday. i went from 141 to 137 :3

We have a workout we do, it's HELL on the obliques the day after, but pays off. We use the "Turbo Jam" workout video, specifically the "Ab Jam" section.

QUICK WORKOUT:
25 jumping jacks
25 crunches
25 push-ups
30 seconds of wall-sits. (lean your back against the wall and slide down into a sitting position, like an invisible chair is underneath you.)
15 burpees (Jump into the air, spring down to a push-up position, and back up into the air.)
16 supermans (lay on the ground on your stomach, lifting your opposite arm to leg and holding for a second, then lowering.)
10 laps around the room. (20 if the room's small.)

Start with that, and when you can, add more of each exercise. The work-out should take about 15 minutes when done correctly.

This builds muscles and burns fat, i can prove it!

Hope this helped at least a little~

EDIT: seeing as people have posted other factors i forgot, i'll put them here XD

well uhm, i'm 14, 5'5, been vegetarian for 4 years, currently 137 lbs, and i really just wanna be in shape for a spur-of-the-moment cosplay, no real set date. ((Well, maybe August of next year but... >>'))

Haha! Thanks for all of the tips!! I'll try them out as a 'warmup' before my home workouts from now on! ((Though I'll probably cut out running around the room... ))

Wow! I'm glad you've been so committed to vegetarianism!! Good job! <33
I'm sure you could easily tone up to what you want when that spur-of-the-moment cosplay comes to you. :3

Scientifically Erotic
I really want to reach a weight of 140-160. I eat healthy and exercise regularly. I just seem to have not that fast of a metabolism and I don't think I burn enough for how much I consume.

I'm 5'11-6'0 and right now I weight about 200 pounds. So 140 seems like an okay weight. Maybe a bit too thin but I think I'll probably get down to 160. I have a lot of muscle mass as well.

Not much else to say except I lost about 2 pounds this week. I'll keep up to date when I can. :3

Aww we're about the same height!! <33 140 is my goal weight too! I'm also going to be okay with anything from 140-155 since 140 is a little on the skinny side.

The only thing I can really recommend for your metabolism is Green Tea, and eat 5 smaller 200-300 calorie meals throughout the day to keep your metabolism running!

How often is your 'regular exercise', and for how long? I would suggest working out for about an hour 5 days a week. ;3

Congratulations on loosing two pounds!!! Keep up the good work! <33

Suicide Skittle

Suicide Skittle

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:15 pm
I'm so glad people are actually interested in this thread. x3
<33

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:39 pm
I'm 6'1 and weight 300 pounds which makes me tall enough that the weight gets placed out well. Most people don't believe I weight 300 pounds from when they look at me but it is my actual size. I dont ever cosplay small or petite male cosplays for that reason and I pretty much stick to my monsters/masked and fully covered characters. My next years costume is going to be Bane from Arkham Asylum so that's going to require me losing some weight around the midsection.

I've been eating a nice salad with some lean meat for dinner and eat light snacks most of the day. Nothing bigger than a half a sandwich and yogurt or something. I haven't begun working out yet due to my work schedule pumping me full of OT since it's the holiday season. I intend to use the excerise bikes at plant fitness since I have a membership and it's up the street. My key goal is to lose weight and not build up muscle mass until I've lost 50 pounds or more. Also I need to strengthen my back a bit since being out of shape actually made my back hurt a lot when I was clearingg snow ( and I was using a snow blower T^T )  

User_1017918

Sith Faced

Spacey Nymph

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:16 pm
I've been slowly working towards getting down to 110-120.
I'm 5'6.5ish and 148lbs. I'd like to at least get to 130 by SakuraCon '10, which is in April. I'll be cosplaying numerous characters, but Enma Ai being my main focus.
I have a gym membership, and now that it's winter break i intend to go daily to ensure I burn as much as possible over the next three weeks 3nodding  
Miscellaneous Threads

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 18 19 20 21 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff