Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Miscellaneous Threads
The "Why Do..." / "How Come..." Thread Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

salsaplant

GO

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:47 am
Does the title confuse you? I'll explain--

We have the "Help! I'm a 'Con N00b'" thread but I realized that as a veteran cosplayer/con-goer, I still have a couple of questions I wanna voice. Not really pertaining to factual information like "What is crossplay?" or "What conventions are in Kentucky?" sort of thing, but more so "Why do..." or "How come..." questions.

For example-- "Why do people hate Naruto cosplayers so much?" or "Why do girls go rabbid over yaoi actions?" or "Why do people half-a** cosplays?"
"How come no matter what I do, my family doesn't accept my choice to cosplay?" or "How come there are so few JRock cosplays?" or "How come there are so many Death Note and Naruto cosplays, when Dragon Ball Z and Sailor Moon are just as popular?"
[[THESE ARE EXAMPLES, THEY AREN'T SOME ACTUAL QUESTIONS I HAVE]]

It's a sort of open-ended question that leaves room for many people to answer with their opinions, ideas, etc.
So feel free to leave your "Why do..." or "How come..." question and answer other peoples' questions as well!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:49 am
I'll go first~!

Why do people think it's okay to touch your cosplay or glomp you without permission? I have seen so many cosplays get ruined because of this action and I don't know anyone who enjoys it at all!

I had a girl not only glomp me but leap onto my back as if she wanted a piggy back ride while I was dressed as Sailor Venus. Mind you, I had a waist-length wig on, a dress, and high heels, and she thought this was a good idea?! Thank god she didn't ruin anything, but imagine if she had done that to a cosplayer wearing wigs or a more intricate cosplay!

salsaplant

GO

La Petite Ange

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:57 am
Well, I don't think people hate Naruto cosplayers... I just think they hate the fans that throw a *insert village name here* headband on their forehead/arms/thighs/top of head/neck, wear some hot topic/closet clothes and say that they are cosplaying. Or when the girls do a 'Sexy no Jutsu' out of every characters, even those who aren't from Naruto. At least that's what I think... I don't really mind them much... except if they're loud and annoying and say 'IT'S DATTE BAYO, NOT BELIEVE IT!' at the top of their lungs. =/

As for why people think it's ok to touch your cosplay or glomp without permission... I have no idea. Maybe they're just immitating those characters from Anime when a cute girl hugs/glomps a guy for some reason or other, and the guy character doesn't really mind. They believe that since we watch anime, we know that action and believe it's ok... so they just go ahead and do it. I hate it too, trust me. >.>; I was Rabi en Rose a few years ago, and people kept touching my bunny ears or the dice without permission. I had to go countless of times into the bathroom just to adjust the ears again everytime someone touched them @o@

Now my turn!

Why do people hate Kingdom Hearts cosplayers? Is it because of the overdose of Yaoi?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:13 am
Yeah, the "Why do people hate Naruto cosplayers" was just an example question-- I myself don't hate Naruto cosplayers, I hate Narutards. Big difference >.< Those kids who run around screaming how they wanna be the next hokage make me want to spay and neuder them so they can't pass their demented genes onto their offspring.

I think the reason people "hate" them is because most of the time they're half-assed cosplays. I mean, it's become so popular that you can buy the outfits on pretty much any cosplay website known to man and that's all they do-- buy the cosplay, slap it on, and think they look amazing. Especially with Organization members: they put on the cloak and then it's like "******** the rest!" They don't try to style their wigs, get props, or anything like that. They just walk around in their cloaks and yaoi-ing for any demented fangirl that asks.
Maybe if they made their cosplays and actually look like they tried to look good, people would like them more. And if there weren't so many of them-- We don't need 20 half-assed Axels running around the convention, kthnxbai.

I'm not gonna lie, I plan on cosplaying Kingdom Hearts, but I'm actually trying to do a good job at it. The convention is during Easter weekend, so I'm going to make an Eastertown-themed Sora cosplay complete with Easter keyblade (and bunny ears, tail, and feet X3 )

It's the same with pretty much any cosplay though-- At least try to look good and be creative!
But yeah, that's what I think/noticed and as always, there are exceptions to these comments.

salsaplant

GO

La Petite Ange

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:37 am
Oh I know it was an example question... I just wanted to state my opinion is all =P

Also, I don't mind Kingdom Hearts. I like the games, and I'm also planning on cosplaying Ventus some time. In fact I'm looking for a good base wig to use for his overly spiked hair @o@

Eastertown themed Sora? Oh that'll be so adorable!! I would love to see it!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:59 pm
salsababy2889
I'll go first~!

Why do people think it's okay to touch your cosplay or glomp you without permission? I have seen so many cosplays get ruined because of this action and I don't know anyone who enjoys it at all!

I had a girl not only glomp me but leap onto my back as if she wanted a piggy back ride while I was dressed as Sailor Venus. Mind you, I had a waist-length wig on, a dress, and high heels, and she thought this was a good idea?! Thank god she didn't ruin anything, but imagine if she had done that to a cosplayer wearing wigs or a more intricate cosplay!

That is a good question. I think it might because they think at con you can be yourself or be as far from who you really are. So the physical boundaries mean pretty much nothing to them. :/ I don't think I get glomped because I'm so tall and have been called scary before. XD

Why is it some people make like 10 costumes for one con and they they turn out half assed?  

burgawinosourus

Toothsome Phantom

angel_259236102

Fashionable Bloodsucker

3,400 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Clambake 200
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:19 pm
1. Naruto- Really, the show/manga is overrated. It is too long, too drawn oiut, and is not worth the hype the 12 year olds want you to think. So, why would I want to see 100 ugly orange suited kids around? It is not original, rarely done well, and is tiring.

2. Yaoi- Well, it isnt all girls. But, just liek a lot of guys like lesbians, or two girls making out, it is the same thing but with 2 guys. It is a lot of the forbidden love thing that people seem to love that gays have.

3. Cosplays- Ignorance, lack of time? I dont know, but what would be has assed? If I dont have the right hair for something? Well, what if I dont want to buy a wig and I dont want to ruin my hair putting it all up like that?

4.Family- Well, I went as hell girl, which had a short skirt, my mom thought it was too short. Now I am going one day is mcgee alice which is a LONG dress, and my mom was, dont you want something more mature? So I was too slutty one year, and this year I am not slutty enough. In general, cosplaying is just weird.

5. Well, at AN there was a bunch of that kind of stuff. But some of that was more gothy. Most people would rather cosplay as a character than as a Jrock person.

6. They are more recent. N and DN are this gens stuff, while DB and SM are the older gens stuff. I was like 3-5 when DB and SM was on, so all of those people who would have dressed up as them when they were 13-18 are now much older. Probably moved on or dress up as somethig else. But those two are only a few years old, very much this generations anime.

7. Glomping- I have never been glomped by a stranger. Only people I know. Maybe I am just too weird. But, people get hyper, and silly. So, the brain doesnt work properly. That and the lack of etiquette that we have now a days leads to that.

8.I dont hate Kingdom heart cosplays, I just find it inconvient. The swords are kinda annoying to drag around IMO.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:54 am
salsababy2889
I'll go first~!

Honestly people glomp because in animes and manga characters are routinely tackled without warning as a sign of affection and dumbasses in conventions tend to think that's ok. They get caught up in social retardation syndrome and forget that it's not a cartoon or comic book and that type of disregard for social rules is not the norm. I had one guy at AB tackle me while cosplaying office linebacker and almost knocked me down a flight of stairs. He also tore my mask and I almost beat the living crap out of him. Instead I grabbed him by the collar and dragged him to security where they kicked him out.  

User_1017918

salsaplant

GO

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:23 am
Hehehehe, guys you don't have to answer the questions posted in the introduction-- They're just examples X3

As for why people make like 10 costumes. . . Well, I'm guessing they have some sort of cosplay A.D.D. and can't just keep it between 1-3 cosplays. Then because lack of time/money/etc. they don't finish and they think it's fine to wear it anyways. Or they just half a** it from the beginning and think it looks "good enough."
Personally, I'd rather have one cosplay that is perfect than 5 that are half-assed. Quality over quantity, people!

Alright, another question-- Why do people go to cons planning on "hooking up" with someone, or go to cons just to "hook up" with someone?
These people annoy me so much-- Why an anime convention of all places?! No, I don't want to s*** your d***, no I don't want to come up to your room later... You wouldn't ask that of someone in a normal setting, would you?! Conventions aren't meant to be dating sites (though I'm not saying that you can't find someone you're attracted to there or whatever) so why do people treat it as such? Meet new people and make friends sure, but don't go there to get laid! D:<

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:49 am
salsababy2889
Alright, another question-- Why do people go to cons planning on "hooking up" with someone, or go to cons just to "hook up" with someone?
These people annoy me so much-- Why an anime convention of all places?! No, I don't want to s*** your d***, no I don't want to come up to your room later... You wouldn't ask that of someone in a normal setting, would you?! Conventions aren't meant to be dating sites (though I'm not saying that you can't find someone you're attracted to there or whatever) so why do people treat it as such? Meet new people and make friends sure, but don't go there to get laid! D:<

Thank heavens someone else is willing to ask that question, considering I've seen those sort of pushy males showing up more and more often at the cons looking for one of them cosplay "Penthouse Forum" moments where they did it with a sailor scout in costume or got entangled in some sort of demented Final Fantasy orgy. Seriously, it's not realistic, folks. If you're jonesing so bad, the dealer rooms have hentai mags and DVDs you can buy. Just make sure no one's looking.

And this comes to rise a more pertinent question. I'm turning 30 in the next few days, which sort of puts me at another delicate impassee where I should be finding more things to do at a con rather than ogle cosplayers way under the legal limit. And it doesn't help if you are old like me AND bring a camera. Kinda makes you feel like the con staff is tracking you and making sure you're not one of them predators. Good thing that there are others in my age bracket who are attuning to that and adapting their creative skills to creating panels and such.  

RyanJakobi

Aged Humorist

23,925 Points
  • NPCon Attendee 100
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Partygoer 500

Extreme Cuddler
Crew

Sparkly Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:48 pm
salsababy2889
Yeah I have seen those type of ppl. I always feel like going up 2 them and telling them "hookers exist u know". Or I feel like pointing the Hentai section 2 them. I really don't know y they choose Anime Cons 4 things like that, I mean don't they know that Adult Con passes around like twice a year.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:15 am
salsababy2889

"Why do people half-a** cosplays?"

I've seen a few different reasons. There are people who are too lazy to do things right, seeing as they know they can get the costume online (note: those sites are not always trustworthy and it can be less money to make the outfit sometimes). They don't have enough time. Or, they actually can't sew very well.

Because of the latter, people at my school have requested for my help in making costumes. I feel special.

salsababy2889
"How come there are so many Death Note and Naruto cosplays, when Dragon Ball Z and Sailor Moon are just as popular?"

I've noted that went it comes to amounts that it often depends on 1) how new it is and 2) What's on TV.

For example, when I first started going to cons, there were a lot of Trigun cosplayers. Now, since Trigun's been off the air for a while, you don't see very many anymore. Each year tends to have a specific show theme to it. Since Bleach, Death Note, and Naruto are still on the air, there will be a lot of them, but there's been a resurgence in the older animes like DBZ because of DB Kai and Salior Moon (don't the reason on that one). So, it's going to be difficult to identify what'll be the theme this year.

Son Goshi-kun

Distinct Hunter

salsaplant

GO

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:45 am
Lol, I love how I make this thread for other people to ask questions, yet so far I'm the one that's asked the most XP

Anyways, this one isn't meant to offend anyone if they do this, but I just have to ask-- why do some cosplayers [mostly girls] carry around plushies of other characters from the show they're cosplaying from? To be honest, I just think it's stupid-- Unless you're carrying around a plushie of some type of creature (like a Moogle or one of those soot balls from Spirited away) I don't think you should carry around plushies as part of your cosplay. Like if Kairi was carrying around a Sora plushie or if Tohru Honda was carrying around a Yuki plushie or if Inuyasha is carrying around a Sesshoumaru plushie. . . Like that kind of stuff. It's like, what's the point? If you wanted to have a Sora or Yuki or Sesshoumaru with you, you should have made a friend or someone dress up with you, not try to replace then with a 10'' cotton replica. Or is it that they're cosplay is so badly done that they need to carry around a plushie so people can help identify who they are? [[Hmmmn, she looks like she just stumbled out of HotTopic and her pigtails are lopsided. . . Oh, she's carrying Light and L plushies, she is probably cosplaying MisaMisa]] >3>

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:57 pm
salsababy2889
Lol, I love how I make this thread for other people to ask questions, yet so far I'm the one that's asked the most XP

Anyways, this one isn't meant to offend anyone if they do this, but I just have to ask-- why do some cosplayers [mostly girls] carry around plushies of other characters from the show they're cosplaying from? To be honest, I just think it's stupid-- Unless you're carrying around a plushie of some type of creature (like a Moogle or one of those soot balls from Spirited away) I don't think you should carry around plushies as part of your cosplay. Like if Kairi was carrying around a Sora plushie or if Tohru Honda was carrying around a Yuki plushie or if Inuyasha is carrying around a Sesshoumaru plushie. . . Like that kind of stuff. It's like, what's the point? If you wanted to have a Sora or Yuki or Sesshoumaru with you, you should have made a friend or someone dress up with you, not try to replace then with a 10'' cotton replica. Or is it that they're cosplay is so badly done that they need to carry around a plushie so people can help identify who they are? [[Hmmmn, she looks like she just stumbled out of HotTopic and her pigtails are lopsided. . . Oh, she's carrying Light and L plushies, she is probably cosplaying MisaMisa]] >3>
And every time you ask him for another vanishing act,
he half smiles as if to say...

I think there might be a few reasons why someone might do this.

Maybe they feel that their character is/should be at all times completely attached to the character. This would be hard to pull off even if you had a friend cosplaying (wanting to go to different events, bathroom breaks for opposite genders). It may be that none of the person's friends even wanted to cosplay the other in the first place, or maybe they're going with a family and can't have a friend come. Either way, the plushie could be a symbol of that extreme attachment.

Maybe they just think it's cute? I find plushies to be adorable and could definitely imagine certain characters having a plushie of their significant other that they hug from time to time.

Those are really the only reasons I can think of that have nothing to do with the cosplay itself. I could totally imagine other reasons to go with the cosplay, such as a Tohru having a cat Kyo and mouse Yuki and hugging them, as if they had just transformed. That would be justifiable to go with the outfit, I think.

..."Whatever you want,
whatever you want,
whatever you want is fine by me."

Stegsie

Tiny Friend

12,500 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Timid 100

salsaplant

GO

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:08 pm
Musical Panda
And every time you ask him for another vanishing act,
he half smiles as if to say...
I could totally imagine other reasons to go with the cosplay, such as a Tohru having a cat Kyo and mouse Yuki and hugging them, as if they had just transformed. That would be justifiable to go with the outfit, I think.

..."Whatever you want,
whatever you want,
whatever you want is fine by me."

Yeah, that I understand which is why I made mention of the Plushie creature comment being okay with me, but if they're carrying around the entire human cast with them, then I just think it's pointless :/  
Miscellaneous Threads

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff