Reply Gaia Gun Enthusiasts
Also: Ruger Mini 14? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:56 am
I know I just made one of these, but I've been considering a Ruger Mini-14 for after my Mossberg 500 F-S Combo. I see it as kind of between a lever-action carbine and a $1000 AR.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I'd probably go for a 20" model with the wood furniture. I'd rather start with the wood and buy some ridiculous tacticool contraption later on, but stick with the iron-sights.

But the actual question: have any of you had any trigger time with a Mini-14? All I've heard about them is they're decent rifles with some complaints to accuracy at long ranges and ridiculous standard 5-round magazine.

EDIT: Also, on a completely unrelated note: why do I sometimes see reversed American flag patches on military/police uniforms? Why are they done like that sometimes? Like this:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:25 am
If you're willing to overlook Bill Ruger being a gun-grabbing toady and communist sympathizer... yeah. Mini-14s are pretty cool.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:14 am
Fresnel
If you're willing to overlook Bill Ruger being a gun-grabbing toady and communist sympathizer... yeah. Mini-14s are pretty cool.

The fact is, the company offers some pretty snazzy guns. And if you're referring to those comments he made about "high capacity" magazines being unnecessary or some such nonsense, that was ten years ago, wasn't it? I guess it still stands, but what can you do? He's still selling great guns to the public. I don't support that position of his, but when you like a gun you can't help but like it. When some other company starts making GP-100s and Mini-14s and LCPs and LCRs I'll no longer consider giving Ruger my business.

You can read into that as me supporting a company owned by a man whom doesn't support our rights, but in the end the quality of the equipment speaks for itself...

...doesn't it?  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:49 am
I would avoid the Mini-14 in .223 like the plague unless you don't care about the accuracy of the factory gun. If you have the money and access to the 6.8mm SPC round, get the Mini-14 All Weather Ranch Rifle.

This rifle has been reviewed as the best in class and accurate enough to rely on a first round hit. The only real issue with it I have is the lack of third party magazines so far.

And as for the hate some people still have for the late Bill Ruger, his son, who runs the company now, does not share his late father's belief in the wishful thinking that smaller magazines will solve gun violence. The reason for the hate is dead.

Support Ruger as a company. Given that they produce and sell high cap magazines for almost all the semi-auto rifles they build today is proof that the company does not support the wishes of its late co-founder.  

Floyd

Quotable Prophet

14,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200

Ubasti

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:41 am
ArmasTermin
EDIT: Also, on a completely unrelated note: why do I sometimes see reversed American flag patches on military/police uniforms? Why are they done like that sometimes? Like this:

It's so that the flag always appears as if it is flapping away from the battle, because if it is flapping away from the battle it signifies that the flag itself is moving towards the battle, giving the impression that the soldier/sailor/airman/marine/police officer is moving towards the battle.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:29 am
ArmasTermin
Fresnel

The fact is, the company offers some pretty snazzy guns. And if you're referring to those comments he made about "high capacity" magazines being unnecessary or some such nonsense, that was ten years ago, wasn't it? I guess it still stands, but what can you do? He's still selling great guns to the public. I don't support that position of his, but when you like a gun you can't help but like it. When some other company starts making GP-100s and Mini-14s and LCPs and LCRs I'll no longer consider giving Ruger my business.

You can read into that as me supporting a company owned by a man whom doesn't support our rights, but in the end the quality of the equipment speaks for itself...

...doesn't it?
It was made ten years ago, when the issue was hot on the table as the Brady Bill was being mulled over, and Bill Ruger was slightly less dead.

You're right though. Ruger makes some undeniably awesome guns. I just get this nagging voice every time I drool over one that says "you DO know who you're supporting, right?"

I'm trying to think of an alternative to the Mini-14 in .223, but all I can come up with would drop you into cheap AR range. In fact, I think the Mini-14 corners the market in cheap, semi-auto .223. If you were willing to pay some more though, the AR-180 is actually pretty cool. Only gripe I have with it is that it has no external button for the bolt hold-open. You gotta fish around in the mag well for it, or put in an empty mag.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

owenmarco

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:04 pm
Ubasti
ArmasTermin

It's so that the flag always appears as if it is flapping away from the battle, because if it is flapping away from the battle it signifies that the flag itself is moving towards the battle, giving the impression that the soldier/sailor/airman/marine/police officer is moving towards the battle.
THat is how my recruiter explained it to me as well.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:15 pm
owenmarco
Ubasti
ArmasTermin

THat is how my recruiter explained it to me as well.

That's pretty much how I heard as well. Just like running with a flagpole towards the battle.  

Man of the Demoneye

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:43 am
So what other options are there for a semi-automatic carbine in .223 that's reliable, fairly accurate to 300 yards or so, and isn't an AR or come with an AR pricetag?

I just don't really like ARs that much.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:35 am
ArmasTermin
So what other options are there for a semi-automatic carbine in .223 that's reliable, fairly accurate to 300 yards or so, and isn't an AR or come with an AR pricetag?

Literally all I can find is the AR-15, the AR-18, the Mini-14, and a million military weapons. I suppose you could get an AUG or an FS2000 or similar assault rifle rip-off, but that's it. And they won't come cheap.

Wait, doesn't Kel-Tec make a .223 carbine?  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:51 am
I hear they shoot minute of ******** at 100 yards, and that's with the version in .223.

There's tons of 'should I get a mini-14, I hear they're modeled after the M1 Garand' threads trolling /k/, they always come down to the Mini-14 being s**t, excluding duke nukem's usual, 'I ******** hate everything' posts.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:39 pm
I have not heard good things about the Mini-14. I've been told they're inaccurate, unreliable, and not worth the price tag. However, that's just what I have heard; I have never shot a Mini-14.

Really, I think you should go with an SKS if you want the same sort of gun for a better price. They're cheap, reliable, and passably accurate out to 150 yards.

However, if you must have a rifle in .223, the AR-18 and Remington 7615P are both good alternatives. Though, the 7615P is pump-action.  

Shrantic

uryu ishida

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:15 pm
Fresnel
ArmasTermin

Literally all I can find is the AR-15, the AR-18, the Mini-14, and a million military weapons. I suppose you could get an AUG or an FS2000 or similar assault rifle rip-off, but that's it. And they won't come cheap.

Wait, doesn't Kel-Tec make a .223 carbine?
Yes, yes they do. The ads in the NRA's magazines are pretty plain, but I much prefer that to the "ZOMG! MOST AWESOME GUN EVAR!" ads many companies run. It goves the facts and nothing more.
Not even price, damnit.

It folds. Just like the SUB2000.
There are also a couple different models. Mostly they're the same except the California model.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:08 pm
Shrantic
I have not heard good things about the Mini-14. I've been told they're inaccurate, unreliable, and not worth the price tag. However, that's just what I have heard; I have never shot a Mini-14.

Really, I think you should go with an SKS if you want the same sort of gun for a better price. They're cheap, reliable, and passably accurate out to 150 yards.

However, if you must have a rifle in .223, the AR-18 and Remington 7615P are both good alternatives. Though, the 7615P is pump-action.
7615's were MSRP'd well into AR-15 territory, and since they're discontinued, I doubt they got any cheaper.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Shrantic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:34 pm
Fresnel
Shrantic

7615's were MSRP'd well into AR-15 territory, and since they're discontinued, I doubt they got any cheaper.
OBJECTION!  
Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces