Reply Gaia Gun Enthusiasts
Barrel Length - Effective Range? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:36 am
I might have my heart set on a Remington 700 SPS in .308 as my next gun. And the only reason I wonder if I should get it or not is there just aren't that many wide open spaces in Louisiana in which to take advantage of the .308's range. And I'd put that range anywhere in 600-800 yards. Out here a .30-30 brush gun can take care of plenty. But that's not what I want right now. (Maybe a week from now...) That's why I'd been thinking of Ruger Mini-14s. Some say they're inaccurate to longer ranges, but if I'm limited in range, maybe that wouldn't matter so much.

Anyway, I'm thinking maybe it would be okay to sacrifice barrel length (20" in stead of 22 or 24) so I can have lighter weight, since the ranges I would be able to tackle couldn't really be that far anyway. My question is, how much effective range and accuracy does two to six inches in barrel length rally add in a higher-caliber rifle? Are there charts for this sort of thing?

What are your thoughts on the gun/caliber/barrel length/situation in general?  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:07 am
I think you're undercutting the range. The Tubb 2000 comes with a 25" barrel, and claims to be able to support accurate fire of the .308 round out to its physical limit of 1200 yards. After 1200 yards, most commercial .308 match ammo will fall subsonic, and the bullet will tumble and go wild.

As to barrel length versus range, the M4 has an effective range of 600m, the M16 is 800m. That's 4" of barrel length, and little else.

Given those two bits of info, I think we're equally qualified to draw conclusions.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Das Rabble Rouser

Invisible Phantom

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:11 am
According to This the barrel is longer than 4 inches.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:33 pm
I wouldn't waist big bucks on a 700. I got a Marlin XS7 and she's a little slice of heaven. Adjustable trigger, with an amazingly clean break, shoots MOA with Fed's American Eagle, and thats with me behind it. And if you really want to, you can always swap out barrels with Savage 110's. And the thing only cost me $319 after tax from academy. Half the price of a comparable 700.  

Freak_090
Captain

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:32 pm
Das Rabble Rouser
M4's 16", M16's 20". The difference between the two is four inches of barrel, and little else.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:39 pm
Fresnel
I think you're undercutting the range. The Tubb 2000 comes with a 25" barrel, and claims to be able to support accurate fire of the .308 round out to its physical limit of 1200 yards. After 1200 yards, most commercial .308 match ammo will fall subsonic, and the bullet will tumble and go wild.

As to barrel length versus range, the M4 has an effective range of 600m, the M16 is 800m. That's 4" of barrel length, and little else.

Given those two bits of info, I think we're equally qualified to draw conclusions.
You're....YOu're.... YOU'RE A WOMAN NOW!  

uryu ishida

Das Rabble Rouser

Invisible Phantom

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:21 pm
Fresnel
Das Rabble Rouser
M4's 16", M16's 20". The difference between the two is four inches of barrel, and little else.
Oh I thought you were saying the barrel itself was only 4 inches. That made no sense to me.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:22 pm
uryu ishida
Fresnel

my status
Behold Tranny Fresnel 1.0. I get the feeling this is the online prototype just before the real life transition.

Das Rabble Rouser

Invisible Phantom

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:10 pm
Freak: I wasn't under the impression Remington 700s were really that expensive. But I'll look into that Marlin XS7.

Now I'm also thinking of considering .223, though it is tiny and wimpy and underpowered.

It's also cheap and...

...well just cheap. lol  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:43 pm
ArmasTermin
Freak: I wasn't under the impression Remington 700s were really that expensive. But I'll look into that Marlin XS7.

Now I'm also thinking of considering .223, though it is tiny and wimpy and underpowered.

It's also cheap and...

...well just cheap. lol
If you just want inexpensive, buy a Mosin. Cheaper ammo and gun.  

Shrantic

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:58 pm
Das Rabble Rouser
uryu ishida
Fresnel

my status
Behold Tranny Fresnel 1.0. I get the feeling this is the online prototype just before the real life transition.
I change one little thing and my mom gets scared everybody goes apeshit...

But no, I'm just having fun with a female avi. xd  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:37 pm
Fresnel
Das Rabble Rouser
uryu ishida
Fresnel

my status

I'm wondering how long it will take people to start hitting on you not knowing you're a guy.  

Das Rabble Rouser

Invisible Phantom

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:42 pm
Das Rabble Rouser
Fresnel
Das Rabble Rouser
uryu ishida
Fresnel

my status

I'm wondering how long it will take people to start hitting on you not knowing you're a guy.
I think it'll happen at least once before the end of the month. It'd happen sooner, but I don't meet that many new people.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:13 pm
Fresnel
Das Rabble Rouser
Fresnel
Das Rabble Rouser
uryu ishida
my status

I think it'll happen at least once before the end of the month. It'd happen sooner, but I don't meet that many new people.
If other things happen to you near the end of the month I won't tolerate any of your hormonal bullshit. ಠ_ಠ  

Das Rabble Rouser

Invisible Phantom

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:35 pm
Das Rabble Rouser
Fresnel
Das Rabble Rouser
Fresnel
Das Rabble Rouser

If other things happen to you near the end of the month I won't tolerate any of your hormonal bullshit. ಠ_ಠ
xd Well played.  
Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces