Tamora Pierce Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 12 13 14 15 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:48 am
I noticed that a lot of people here like Tamora Pierce. So, talk about her works. n.n

I've read all of the books by her that I've heard of, except for the newwest one, The Will of the Empress, which I'm debating whether or not to read. I haven't liked Tamora Pierce's latest works as much as her earlier ones, like The Immortals series and The Song of the Lioness. The Immortals is actually what got me interested in fantasy in the first place, and I still love it. But Trickster's Choice just wasn't as good, especially the second time through. It was good, mind you, but I prefer her older works.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:46 pm
yes, i really liked song of the lioness... i haven't read some of her most recent books, but i am in the middle of one of them right now. i have to agree with you  

hyper_azn_girl

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:56 pm
Finally, people are posting in the guild! n.n

Tamora Pierce had awesome books. I think she's trying to get more into the mainstream with her new books. Or something. Like she needs to.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:25 pm
I actually enjoyed her Trickster's Choice and Trickster's Queen. But you have to know that with all the changes the Immortals and the Lionness series bring, it will change how the outlook on the rest of the timeline in Tortall.  

Marsel_lilas

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:08 pm
I never said that I didn't like those two books. I just didn't like them as much as the other, older ones. They're still good books, and I still tried to force my friend to read them (without success--she's just too busy). But the Immortals series just had so much more interesting things going on. I may be biased, because I like shapeshifting and talking to animals, but I also like spying and information gathering. Ali's character didn't really appeal to me much, either. The whole brightness-covering-seriousness thing never did well with me. I prerfer straight-up funny idiots like Harry Dresden from the Dresden Files. Or entirely serious people like Alanna. I dunno. I just like other characters better. Plus, the whole inter-species crow-human marriage thing annoys me. Nawat, human-looking or not, is gonna die after a few years. He's only a crow, after all. And Ali being pregnant, too. Will it be a half-human, half-crow monster when it's born? Or will Tamora Pierce somehow find a way to get around all of this? If so, I'd love to see it. Sorry if I sound bitchy about this, but I'm really, really nitpicky about things like this.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:56 pm
Tamora Pierce was one of the authors that really got me interested in fantasy. I've read all of her books more than once each (especially SotL and PotS, which were my two favourite series, and CoM, which was the first Tamora Pierce series I read).

I loved Aly's character - she was quirky and a lot of fun. That's just me, though, so I suppose not everyone would agree. I thought Nawat was adorable. I have a soft spot for the Crow-man. I liked Trickster's Queen better than Trickster's Choice because the plot was a lot more involved (and because Taybur Sibigat rocked!). The whole Dove-as-Queen thing was excellent too. My friends and I had been hoping that'd happen ever since the first book. Dove was my favourite character in that duet.

My least favourite series is probably The Circle Opens. The whole idea of the circle being split didn't sit with me, and I thought the characterisations, especially in book two, were a little blocky.

jaythenerdkid

5,900 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
  • Elocutionist 200

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:27 pm
Anyone read The Will of the Empress yet? I've been meaning to, but haven't gone to the bookstore with money yet. Sometime this week, I hope. Though I don't know if I want to read it. I'll have to see it first, then I'll decide.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:55 am
NightIntent
Anyone read The Will of the Empress yet? I've been meaning to, but haven't gone to the bookstore with money yet. Sometime this week, I hope. Though I don't know if I want to read it. I'll have to see it first, then I'll decide.

Yes, and it is bloody fantastic (excuse the minor cuss there). The Circle reunited is in itself excellent, but the way the characters have subtly changed and their subsequent interactions is the aspect that really won me over. My only complaint is that the teachers aren't in it much (if at all), which is sad because I was hoping to see Niko or Lark a little more. Still, it's great, and the Namornese court is done extremely well.  

jaythenerdkid

5,900 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
  • Elocutionist 200

LamingtonQueen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:58 am
Oh my god, I LOVE Tamora Pierce's series biggrin Well... I don't like the Circle ones much, but I must confess I stopped reading them.

My favourite series is the Immortals, which is also the first series I read. I LOVE Numair so much - I'm such a pathetic groupie sweatdrop I like the Song of the Lioness too, but it's too short for my tastes now, so it's been bumped down a little bit below Protector of the Small. And the PotS is SO good, I loves it. When it first came out I thought, 'oh, here we go. Exactly like Alanna' but it wasn't, and I really enjoyed it MORE than Alanna biggrin And I liked the Tricker's novels too, cos I always liked George and I thought the thief's side would be a nice story to tell ninja

I really enjoy her books because of the characters. I mean, the writing is nice enough, I suppose, but it's nothing epic - and all the stories are a little short and everything always works out, BUT I love them and end up reading them over and over. I must've read the Immortals series more than a dozen times sweatdrop 3 cheers for amusing and loveable male characters and 10 cheers for leading female characters that are cliche and that don't piss me off! Hooray! biggrin  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:05 am
Numair is Teh Awesomeness. ::Is also a Numair groupie::  

jaythenerdkid

5,900 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
  • Elocutionist 200

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:40 am
Numair's all right, but Tamora Pierce did better male characters in Protector of the Small. Dom is my favorite male character ever. Well, no, that's a lie. Fine, he's my favorite male by Tamora Pierce. Neal's also a great character. Ozorne--god, it feels like I'm spelling that wrong (ozone!), which means it's time for another re-reading--is awesome, though. I have a soft spot for the evil rulers who do whatever the hell they want. And command people to worship them instead of the gods. Who doesn't love the tragic evil-doer? (Lotsa people, I suppose, but I'm not one of them.)  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:15 pm
NightIntent
Numair's all right, but Tamora Pierce did better male characters in Protector of the Small. Dom is my favorite male character ever. Well, no, that's a lie. Fine, he's my favorite male by Tamora Pierce. Neal's also a great character. Ozorne--god, it feels like I'm spelling that wrong (ozone!), which means it's time for another re-reading--is awesome, though. I have a soft spot for the evil rulers who do whatever the hell they want. And command people to worship them instead of the gods. Who doesn't love the tragic evil-doer? (Lotsa people, I suppose, but I'm not one of them.)

heh, you're absolutely right about Dom and Neal... I have much love for many of the men in the series really... George, Nawat (yes, I find the crow-man amusing ninja ) and a few of the others are all awesome xd However, I'd have to disagree with you on Ozorne (I agree with the feeling like I'm spelling it wrong thing! sweatdrop ) though - he's not EVIL enough... if you're not doing the evil yourself, but getting minions instead, it's just not the same! He needs to be more hands-on and less orders-from-the-throne, I reckon 3nodding  

LamingtonQueen

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:58 am
Oh, he started to do some of his own evil. The fact that he was killed shortly after he started being more hands-on seems to void that, though. Nuwat is amusing, I'll admit, but I still dislike the whole pairing between him and Aly. I have things against it in other things, too. The whole human-with-non-human thing. Yeah. I just can't think of a specific one. Oh, well.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:10 am
I just recently read the Alanna series, which was pretty good, despite the writing being much simpler then I'm used to. My friend then leant me Trickster's Choice which, try as I might, I cannot seem to get into. I'm going to read The Immortals series and Protecter of the Small first, then see if I can't bring myself to care a bit more about Aly.  

Empress_Kat

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:56 pm
Well, I don't really like Aly, even after having read most of Tamora Pierce's books.

Which reminds me. Anyone read Young Warriors? I saw it on the bookshelf when I got The Will of the Empress, but two hardcovers in one day was more than enough. But I will, eventually, read that book, just to be able to say I've read every single book that Tamora Pierce has written that I know about. Before those two came out, I really could claim that. Even if I can't remember what went on in most of the Circle books. n.n"  
Fantasy Books Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 12 13 14 15 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff