What Do You Think? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Jameta
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:02 pm

Note- please see a break-down commentary of these poinst at the bottom of this page, courtesy of Weben. heart
Quote:
This makes Christianity look like crap in its presence! Egyptian/Christian lore, people.

Jesus and Horus. One before the other.

1. Both were conceived of a virgin.

2. Both were the "only begotten son" of a god (either Osiris or Yahweh)

3. Horus's mother was Meri, Jesus's mother was Mary.

4. Horus's foster father was called Jo-Seph, and Jesus's foster father was Joseph.

5. Both foster fathers were of royal descent.

6. Both were born in a cave (although sometimes Jesus is said to have been born in a stable).

7. Both had their coming announced to their mother by an angel.

8. Horus; birth was heralded by the star Sirius (the morning star). Jesus had his birth heralded by a star in the East (the sun rises in the East).

9. Ancient Egyptians celebrated the birth of Horus on December 21 (the Winter Solstice). Modern Christians celebrate the birth of Jesus on December 25.

10. Both births were announced by angels (this si nto the same as number 7).

11. Both had shepherds witnessing the birth.

12. Horus was visited at birth by "three solar deities" and Jesus was visited by "three wise men".

13. After the birth of Horus, Herut tried to have Horus murdered. After the birth of Jesus, Herod tried to have Jesus murdered.

14. To hide from Herut, the god That tells Isis, "Come, thou goddess Isis, hide thyself with thy child." To hide from Herod, an angel tells Joseph to "arise and take the young child and his mother and flee into Egypt."

15. When Horus came of age, he had a special ritual where hsi eye was restored. When Jesus (and other Jews) come of age, they have a special ritual called a Bar Mitzvah.

16. Both Horus and Jesus were 12 at this coming-of-age ritual.

17. Neither have any official recorded life histories between the ages of 12 and 30.

18. Horus was baptized in the river Eridanus. Jesus was baptized in the river Jordan.

19. Both were baptized at age 30.

20. Horus was baptized by Anup the Baptizer. Jesus was baptized by John the Baptist.

21. Both Anup and John were later beheaded.

22. Horus was taken from the desert of Amenta up a high mountain to be tempted by his arch-rival Set. Jesus was taken from the desert in Palestine up a high mountain to be tempted by his arch-rival Satan.

23. Both Horus and Jesus successfully resist this temptation.

24. Both have 12 disciples.

25. Both walked on water, cast out demons, healed the sick, and restored sight to the blind.

26. Horus "stilled the sea by his power." Jesus commanded the sea to be still by saying, "Peace, be still."

27. Horus raised his dead father (Osiris) from the grave. Jesus raised Lazarus from the grave. (Note the similarity in names when you say them out loud. Further, Osiris was also known as Asar, which is El-Asar in Hebrew, which is El-Asarus in Latin.)

28. Osiris was raised in the town of Anu. Lazarus was raised in Bethanu (literally, "house of Anu").

29. Both gods delivered a Sermon on the Mount.

30. Both were crucified.

31. Both were crucified next to two thieves.

32. Both were buried in a tomb.

33. Horus was sent to Hell and resurrected in 3 days. Jesus was sent to Hell and came back "three days" later (although Friday night to Sunday morning is hardly three days).

34. Both had their resurrection announced by women.

35. Both are supposed to return for a 1000-year reign.

36. Horus is known as KRST, the anointed one. Jesus was known as the Christ (which means "anointed one").

37. Both Jesus and Horus have been called the good shepherd, the lamb of God, the bread of life, the son of man, the Word, the fisher, and the winnower.

38. Both are associated with the zodiac sign of Pisces (the fish).

39. Both are associated with the symbols of the fish, the beetle, the vine, and the shepherd's crook.

40. Horus was born in Anu ("the place of bread") and Jesus was born in Bethlehem ("the house of bread").

41. "The infant Horus was carried out of Egypt to escape the wrath of Typhon. The infant Jesus was carried into Egypt to escape the wrath of Herod. Concerning the infant Jesus, the New Testament states the following prophecy: 'Out of Egypt have I called my son.'" (See Point 13)

42. Both were transfigured on the mount.

43. The catacombs of Rome have pictures of the infant Horus being held by his mother, not unlike the modern-day images of "Madonna and Child."

44. Noted English author C. W. King says that both Isis and Mary are called "Immaculate".

45. Horus says: "Osiris, I am your son, come to glorify your soul, and to give you even more power." And Jesus says: "Now is the Son of Man glorified and God is glorified in him. If God is glorified in him, God will glorify the Son in himself, and will glorify him at once."

46. Horus was identified with the Tau (cross).

I found this in GD. Post your thoguhts (and definitely corrections).
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:33 pm

That is awesome. It makes me think of the similarities of Kennedy and Lincoln.

Seira Relur

taxicab messiah

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:05 pm

I know not all of that is true, but I'm glad someone decided to show that. They could have done a little more studying.. But a lot of religions crash that way. And what I said before.. Lets see, Egypt. BC, during its reign?

I think it was used to convert the Pagan religions to Christianity. x_x
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:06 pm

Seira Relur
That is awesome. It makes me think of the similarities of Kennedy and Lincoln.

It freaks me out to look at pictures of JFK and Clinton next to each other >_<

taxicab messiah

Siofra Da`Halbria

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:43 pm

Very interesting. Taxicab sounds kinda right... it sounds like this could go either way.

"See Pagans? It's all the same in the end. Come over to the Christian side!"

"See Christians? It's all the same in the end. Come over to the Pagan side!"

Really..... either way in my book.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:30 pm

That is very interesting M'lady *Kisses Jameta's hand* I seen that in GD aswell. As my family is Christian i don't normaly question the faith, but it does make me think. 3nodding

Night Time Pleasure

Jameta
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:31 pm

Well, as the matter is being researche dmore nad more, Judaism may have originated in Egypt. If that is so, the similarities are not that surprising. Look at the Romans- when they moved in our about, they basically took some stuff and renamed it.

Not that I'm saying anyone who follows that path is not creative or whatnot. It's what works for you; take Hinduism- it tends to absorb deities and spiritual figures into its faith. Quite fascinating, really...
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:47 pm

How much of that is made up, though?

Atma311
Crew

4,350 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Conversationalist 100

Jameta
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:10 pm

No idea; I actually haven't looked through all of them. sweatdrop That's what you guys are for. mrgreen
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:43 am

Jameta
Look at the Romans- when they moved in our about, they basically took some stuff and renamed it.

mrgreen This is something I like to point out to people who think that ancestry is the determining factor in who and what you get to worship (the Asatruar call this "folkish"). My ancestors are Roman, and they stole EVERYONE'S stuff! wink So by all rights ....

Jishin

Steadfast Explorer

Jameta
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:48 am

Dude, everytime my mom opens her mouth about my ancestors (which is somehow brought up by me excercising my faith confused ), I learn I'm just that much more of a minority:

- Irish Roman-Catholic on my dad's side.
- German-American on my dad's side.
- A tad of Scott on that side, too, consdiering the old McGee clan couldn't really make up its mind about what island it wanted to be on.
- Scottish and French on my mom's side from my ancestor, Mary Queen of Scots.
- Guess you could say I'm English, too, from King James... I like to forget him, obviously. sweatdrop
- Roman-Catholic on my mom's side.
- Jewish on my mom's side (some great-grandfather converted).
- Native-American on my mom's side (I'm still confused by this).

The European stuff shows itself in my strange humor and stubborn temper. Roman-Catholic comes up in my mixed faith. I find pennis and other coinage, so that may be the Jewish part. And I'm called to talk to Raven and the gang, so that may be the Native American part.

It may or may not surprise me if I eventually find out that I have an African-American ancestor. xp

Which, for some unknown reason, reminds me that my great-grandmother (now in my closet) said I looked like "a little Mexican baby". gonk

So now you know why I'm so messed-up.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:45 pm

Most of it sounds like it's coming from so far out of left field that I don't quite know what to do with it. That doesn't necessarily mean that it's all made-up, though.^_^ Some of what I'm reading here makes me think of the early Copts- a people who showed up in ancient Egypt toward the end of her timeline. The Copts were Christians, and they seem to have met in secluded tombs to worship in secret- we have a few of the marks with which they signified their presence, preserved through those tombs. Usually, this was done by mutilating the hieroglyphs which were placed there by the tomb owner, unfortunately, so I view it as a type of tomb desecration. sad For added interest, the Copts survive today through the Coptic Church, and they still use the Coptic language (the first descendent of the ancient Egyptian languages to record vowels)- in much the same way that the Roman Catholic Church still uses Latin.

If the Copts were willing to alter the sacred language of the tomb in that way, it would not surprise me if they were willing to rewrite the traditional mythology as well. If our friend was getting his or her information from Coptic writings, then this would not be a case of Christians deriving their practices from an older source so much as they were dressing up an older source in their own religious stories. This might have been done in an attempt to conceal their practices, to derive some meaning from the depictions of the old gods which they would have seen everywhere, or simply to make their beliefs seem more credible by associating them with older names- a common practice back then, btw.

However, some of the stuff on that list just boggles the mind.^_^' Even the names which are given- Jo-Seph is such a completely un-Egyptian name that I'm not sure that it can even be written in traditional Egyptian language. Herut is more Egyptian, but would signify either Horus' wife or a feminine version of Himself- which is not to say that I have seen a Herut anywhere in my readings, but I have seen similar things done with other deities, and they follow a linguistic pattern which resembles what we see here. Other names- such as Anu- do seem to be Egyptian and do show up in texts, however they're so obscure and so little is actually said about them that they could not tell us whether the claims of this list are true or not.^_^'

I may give an itemized response later on- I don't have time for it tonight- but overall, my impression is that either this list was created by some Pagan who was trying to discredit Christians with the familiar "they stole everything they have from us" argument, or by someone who was massively confused by Coptic texts, or simply by someone who was massively confused.^_~

WebenBanu

Jameta
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:54 am

Thank you, Weben. I was looking forward to your response, and I hope you do find time to do an itemized post. 3nodding
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 2:21 pm

eek That's Awesome! Whoever discovered this gets my thanks. This has just instantly become one of my favorite literary topic pieces of conversation, lol. xd

~Asha

Naomi Tinuveil

WebenBanu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:55 pm

[ Message temporarily off-line ]
Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items