Makeshift Ritual Tools? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

taxicab messiah

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:19 pm

We've all dealt with it.

You're about to perform a ritual for whatever reason, and you're missing a few key items. :[ So, what do you use?

Just looking for some ideas we can all share.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:20 pm

Any stories would be nice, too. smile

taxicab messiah

WebenBanu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:30 pm

I mentioned this thread to Arcane and he asked, "has anyone mentioned the finger?" LOL! Well now I have, Arcane. ^_~

But this sounds like it could lead to some interesting places.^_^ I don't really recall a sense of tool scarcity when I first started, because inasfaras actual ritual "tools" go, I've either found them to be fairly easy to come by (cups, bowls, brooms, etc) or not entirely necessary to begin with (athame, wand- you can just use your fingers to direct energy, really). So depending on what the tool was that I was missing, I'd either find some household item which would do (and then kept it, so that I continued to use the same one in future rituals), did without, or altered the ritual until I no longer needed it.^_^'

But you can find ritual tools in very unexpected places, and when I was Wiccan I used to delight in using more mundane items in ways for which they were never intended. I was of the opinion that this was one of the best ways to find ritual tools, in fact- and in rural Alabama, it probably was.^_~

One of my favorite things to do was to go through dollar stores, craft stores, or those country decor stores (sometimes Pier 1 Imports, or even Spencer's Gift stores when I visited larger cities) and just browse the isles thinking of possible uses for random objects which caught my eye. If the idea was good enough, I might purchase the item and add it to my stock. Decorative stores, at any rate, place a high emphasis on the unique and appealing appearance of each item- which, to me, was often inspirational and highly suggestive of creative powers. My favorite subjects to work with were candle holders- I've a general fascination with fire anyway, and I tend to love the designs of objects designed for or around the use of it.

My first brazier was a candleholder, originally- made of wrought iron (I love wrought iron) which curled on the ground level in a spiral, then rose up about 6" and again circled itself to form a ring, into which was nestled a cup of smokey white glass. The spiraling iron below complemented beautifully with the spiraling smoke above- and the glass tied them both together quite nicely; it glowed with the incense embers.

Another makeshift tool which I also particularly liked (and still use, actually), was a very simple brass candlestick. It had a round base, and a very slender stem which terminated in a small cup- the lip of which was turned out so that when viewed from the side it looked very much like a stylized Egyptian papyrus plant. The lines etched around the base of the cup enhance the resemblance even further. I think that once or twice I actually put a candle into it (judging by the wax I'm seeing on the base, now^_~), but above all I prized it as an offering stand for small amounts of precious liquids- such as honey, or magical oils. It made a particularly fine offering stand for the honey, because the golden, translucent surface of the honey coordinated well with the candle light reflecting off the brass of the offering stand itself.^_^

I suppose my use of soapstone powder as a purifying agent could also be considered a makeshift tool, even though I didn't use it for lack of salt- but rather, because I didn't feel that it would be appropriate to be salting the fields of Mother Nature.

When I was a Wiccan, I used to perform my rituals outdoors in a small, secluded clearing in the forest- the center of which had a rather large, flat rock which was a little uneven but otherwise ideal for use as an alter. Most Wiccan rituals call for a purification of sacred space by salt and water, but did you know that salt will kill plants and small animals- rendering fertile ground sterile? It's one of the things which the Romans used to do to their enemies, to make sure that the conquered people were dependent on Rome for food- and so would loose their will to rebel. It's not great for carpets, either, btw- the grains of salt tend to cut into the carpet fibers as you walk on them, and it'll wear out more quickly.^_^' I didn't want to salt the forest, so I kept an eye out for an alternative means of purifying outdoor areas.

One year when I went to one of the large Pagan seasonal gatherings, there was a workshop on soapstone carving. People were learning how to shape soapstone with rasps- mostly to form god or goddess forms, totems, or what-have-you. Actually, I still intend to take up my rasps again one day to start carving amulets, but that's beside the point.^_^ When you carve in soapstone, you make a very fine, white, soft powder- technically it's the same thing as talcum powder, actually. I gathered that up, charged it with the intention of purity, and placed it on the alter during our communal ritual that night to add a little kick, and began using that in place of salt during purifications.

And while we're on the subject of makeshift ingredients, I have a somewhat magpie-like tendency toward constructing (or "improving") spell recipes. That may or may not be a good thing, I suppose- but that's a conversation for another time, perhaps. If I see something in my stock which matches the energy, intent, and atmosphere of the ritual, I'm likely to throw it in for the extra boost. Being as closely aligned with the feline as I am, my cat was a veritable treasure trove of magical ingredients- and my apothecary sometimes verged on looking like the "traditional" witch of Disney or Shakespearian fame.^_^' Protective spell? Add in some shed claw husks. Something to do with perception? Toss in a few shed whiskers. Wealth? Stability? Comfort? Plenty of fur to go around.^_^ It's kind of fun, actually- once you get into it.^_~
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:19 pm

Right now, I'm trying to revolt against tools. I've been working on visualisations, and am trying to simply not use tools. I want them to be what they are-tools, not crutches.

Allthoguh I'm going with Banu that dollar stores are an excellent source of potential tools.

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

Jameta
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:32 pm

*pokes Nihl* ALL HAIL THE ALMIGHTY FINGA'!!! domokun

I've used my hands on quite a few occasions when my letter-opener athame was readily available. As I haven't probably done any training with my athame, as well, my hand can be more effective, especially with dispelling energy.

The only major subsitutes I use are when it comes to herbs or crystals; if I don't have the exact one, I go with something that, in my mind, is just as effective. And that's what it should be about- what helps you. 3nodding
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:38 am

Personally, I like tools. heart One of my favorite parts of Pagan conventions is to visit the vender's room, and check out all the magical tools, jewelry, and robes. I know that they're not absolutely necessary, and that underlying knowledge has never been overshadowed for me- so I've never worried about becoming dependent on them. But they are quite helpful in their way and were generally developed for a reason. Just being what they are, they set the scene, they add to the subconscious language and imagery of the ritual, and thereby increase effectiveness. So, I've used them if I happened to be at home when the need for spellwork arises.

Nowadays much of my magic is more along the lines of theurgy rather than thaumaturgy, heka specifically, so I've less and less oportunities to use tools, but I still enjoy them. I guess I also kind of collect them, in a limited way- I don't have the budget to build up an extensive collection, but I know that there have been times when I've bought some bright shiny tool just because it was bright and shiny, and not because I actually needed it.^_~ Catering to my inner raccoon, no doubt.

Right now, though, the main tool that I need is a dremel- so that I can start carving my amulets!

WebenBanu

Jameta
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:53 pm

I, like WB, have a habit of collecting items that I might not necessarily use. sweatdrop I guess it comes from the idea of 'being prepared'.

Then agina, I might use more of my items if I had the time. gonk

Hey, maybe I'll do soemthing formal this break... ninja

I also like going into shops and stores to see what they have; I like to try to think about how I could sue something, or where I would place something. That process also helps prevent 'impusle spending'. mrgreen
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:06 pm

I absolutely love shopping in antique stores. I find the most random, perfect ritual tools there. Or even just jars for storing things, bags and stuff.. I found an awesome Buddha statue.. The real Buddha, not a Hotei ( I believe it is called..) I find amazing candle holders, candles, books even. A lovely book on Ancient Egyptian Gods and Goddesses. heart ... Yes, I am rambling.

taxicab messiah

Night Time Pleasure

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:15 pm

For me i only use tools that i either make. Or get blessed by Sacred Sorce (A local wiccan store i work at) The owner is amazing at blessing and is teaching me alot about different tools to use. 3nodding
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:26 pm

Jameta

Still keeping up that perfect 4.0 GPA?

Siofra Da`Halbria

Jameta
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:27 pm

Siofra Da`Halbria
Jameta

3.88. I dont' feel bad, though, as there are no Valedictorians in our school this year.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:38 pm

Jameta
Siofra Da`Halbria
Jameta

3.88. I dont' feel bad, though, as there are no Valedictorians in our school this year.

Still pretty good. Despite all my slacking off, I have a 3.7. We work on a 100 point system, so I just divide by 25 to get it on a 4 point scale.

Siofra Da`Halbria

Jameta
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:41 pm

Siofra Da`Halbria
Jameta
Siofra Da`Halbria
Jameta

Still pretty good. Despite all my slacking off, I have a 3.7. We work on a 100 point system, so I just divide by 25 to get it on a 4 point scale.
Weird. Is it weighted?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:32 pm

Jameta
*pokes Nihl* ALL HAIL THE ALMIGHTY FINGA'!!! domokun

I've used my hands on quite a few occasions when my letter-opener athame was readily available. As I haven't probably done any training with my athame, as well, my hand can be more effective, especially with dispelling energy.

The only major subsitutes I use are when it comes to herbs or crystals; if I don't have the exact one, I go with something that, in my mind, is just as effective. And that's what it should be about- what helps you. 3nodding
Agh! The finger!

Hey, I also use a letter-opener as an athame. ^.^ Turns out I've used it enough that it's got a nice solid indigo aura, and Akasha was able to feel it when i was holding it an inch away.

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

Siofra Da`Halbria

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:45 pm

Jameta
Siofra Da`Halbria
Jameta
Siofra Da`Halbria
Jameta

Weird. Is it weighted?

Think so.
Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas