Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gamers Promised Land, Gaia's Best Gaming and Pop Culture

Back to Guilds

Gaia's best guild for discussions and contests about Video Games, Pop Culture, general geek stuff, and any kind of discussion! 

Tags: Video Games, Pop culture, chatting, Internet, tournaments 

Reply Main Forum
Checking Guild Interest Level Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:15 am
I was bored in my 3 hour long weekly history class, and started writing out some pretty elaborate details for the guild trading card game that I randomly work on and then drop.

This time however, I've got enough base details and whatnot on paper to really push forward whenever I have time. Here's the current rundown:

- Cards are purchased using "guild points" which are earned for posting, donating gold, and eventually contests/events

- There is no drawing of cards, all your cards are available to you at all times, thus placing extra emphasis on strategy/deck building. (If this were some elaborate GUI program, or Gaia had some strong PHP scripts I would set up a traditional card game, but I'm making due)

- I would follow a release pattern similar to Magic the Gathering, "core" sets with a solid mixmatch of cards, and expansion sets that are mostly themed.

If anyone really wants to help, I could use someone to create a good card template, and some playtesters.

I also need to know what you guys think (be honest), would you want to play such a game, because once the project is launched, it'll require people who actually play it to be good.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:21 am
Personally, from what you just have there, it sounds pretty fun. One of the things that keeps me from playing most card games is that I feel that about 70% of the time it has more to do with luck than actual skill. The no-drawing idea sounds really good.  

Haratio TaFotter

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:37 pm
Basic outline:

You have a "leader" typically a, well, leader from a video game. Examples include Bowser, Mother Brain, King Toadstool, CO's from Advance Wars etc. The objective will be to kill the enemy leader. Leaders will have a set amount of health, passive and activated abilities, "energy" gained every turn, and an income.

Income will be relevant to the character's game of origin. Mario game leaders will get coins, where as an advance wars leader will get generic Cash from the advance wars games. These currencies will be used to build buildings, and "hire" characters in your decks that are of the same alignment as you. There will be ways to exchange currency, but there will be some small hindrance, like building a building for the exchanger. This will allow for more customization, but prevent anyone from using anything.

Buildings can range from walls, to banks/homes/mines for more turnly income, to cannons, to many other things.

Creatures will have 2 inherent subtypes - minions and allies. Minions include your generic mass production goombas and starcraft marines, while allies are your unique characters, such as mario and samus. Of course there will be alignment restrictions to prevent absurd things like Mother Brain recruiting Captain Falcon.

Creatures will have a set amount of health, an amount of attack (with an element, such as normal, fire, water, etc) and skills, such as proficiencies for certain weapons, and reduction of certain types of damage.

Leaders will be in the "back row" of the battle, everything in the front row must be eliminated before things in the back row can be attacked. Creatures will always start in the front row, but can be moved back (unless indicated otherwise), and certain buildings will start in either the front or back.

Most leaders will be given a passive ability, this can be something like a buff to appropriate minions, or a discount on certain creature types. Every turn a leader gains an amount of "energy" (this could be called energy, mana, etc) that they can use to activate an active ability, or use a spell/ability card.

Finally, there will be item cards. These will typically be a medicinal healing item, or an equipment for your creatures/allies. Most items will be purchased with currency, similar to buildings/creatures/allies.

To prevent too much insanity, the current plan is only 1 card of each type can be used per turn, unless of course an ability or other card in play changes that.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:45 pm
Packs of cards from the core sets will cost 100 points, and packs from expansion sets will cost 250. You get 10 points per post, and 1 point per gold donated to the guild.

Expansion cards cost more because the higher up rares will be in them, and most of them will

To prevent nonsense, trading will be overseen. That is to say, you cannot simply give all of your points to someone, or trade all of your points for a card that is nowhere near the value.

You are however totally free to make trades that seem plausible, even if they're one sided.  

nitnit
Captain

darkslasherX
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:13 pm
No guarantees, but when the card game gets to a playable point and if there's enough interest, I could probably write a GUI program for it. It'd probably also be possible to set up a database to keep track of peoples' cards, if it's necessary.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:17 pm
I take it Nit's in college.

Well, I would be willing to help. I may need to set time aside for more serious business like my college classes and homework, but I'm relatively free to goof off. And this sounds fun. Slightly complicated, but fun.  

Crimson Hagane

5,200 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Beta Explorer 0

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:09 pm
Slasher - Nice!

Omega Knight - Yeah, it's complex, Jonnnn's been voicing concerns that it'll be too much stuff, but I feel that if people take a whopping 10 minutes to fully read the rules they can find a game full of depth and strategy.

And yeah, im in college, but I have my classes set up so I should have a good amount of free time.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:34 pm
I go from 8am to 5pm everyday. Won't have much time to do stuff factoring in D&D almost every night and studying for chem and bio, but I can build a few sets.

You can raise the player count one too. I'd definitely play.

Also, scrap the old sets or at least simplify them. Every character in brawl, mario series, metroid series, etc. is horribly unnecessary given the rules.  

Jonnnn

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:54 pm
The old sets are being scrapped, don't worry. I was also planning on simply making the first few sets by myself since I want to have some control of the game balance initially. Perhaps later on others can design cards/sets.

(Ideas for cards will be accepted though)

Also how the hell do you go from 8-5? I have 5 classes and manage to have tuesdays and thursdays totally free, lol. Also also, I'm pretty sure you're going to drop out of DnD pretty quickly  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:30 pm
(double posting again) just to clarify:

Expansion sets won't specifically be only one game. For example, a set named "Galactic Conquest" would have cards from many games involving space, Starcraft, Star Fox, Metroid, F Zero, etc.

"Core Sets" will be a total grabbag spanning all across and will feature many "staple" cards like basic cure spells from final fantasy and potions for items.

Also changing prices a bit:

All packs will cost 100 points (10 posts)

There may be premade decks /starter sets for a large sum of points (between 600-1000 points)

Before an argument of "what about a free starter set" if someone has to post about 100 times before they can get a starter set, then they will be much more likely to actually stick around.

Still determining how much donation gold to get points  

nitnit
Captain

Jonnnn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:16 am
I have two hours in between for breakfast/lunch. I have six classes plus labs and recitations, yo. Microeconomics makes me realize how much I hate business majors. It's the easiest class I've taken so far and it's supposed to be two levels above me.

Did they change the guild donation function so it's actually usable?  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:30 am
How the hell do you have six classes a day? I have 4 a day max. Also how is a class different from a lab/recitation, a lab is a class as is a recitation. You UMD people make no sense.

Also, yes, business finance is a top tier degree for ease/earning potential. Cry moar! Your tears are delicious.  

nitnit
Captain

pathetic_negi_magician

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:03 pm
This is... the third time nitnit's tried this while I was in this guild.

Anyways, I'd be interested but I don't have as much free time this quarter as I have had in previous years. v_v  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:22 pm
I'm going to be keeping the exact cards in the first core set relatively secret. When the set is released people can buy boosters and that is how cards will be spoiled. (Except for a couple cards that I will intentionally spoil so you guys can get a taste)

Seriously, my classes are god damn boring, I'm writing this all down in my notebooks, lulz  

nitnit
Captain

Crimson Hagane

5,200 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Beta Explorer 0
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:15 pm
Nice, Nit. Good luck. Contact me when you need guinea pigs I mean, play-testers.  
Main Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff