Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gamers Promised Land, Gaia's Best Gaming and Pop Culture

Back to Guilds

Gaia's best guild for discussions and contests about Video Games, Pop Culture, general geek stuff, and any kind of discussion! 

Tags: Video Games, Pop culture, chatting, Internet, tournaments 

Reply Main Forum
Bioshock 2 Quickie Review Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Tron714
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:19 am
Just decided to rent it this weekend for Valentine's Day and overall I'm not to impressed with this title. This is just a little quick pro and con review of what I thought of the game.

If I were to score it I would give it a 7.3/10

Pros:
- Multiplayer has a little story and gives you insight of what happened to cause this "civil war" in Rapture
- Plasmids evolve
- the addition of a melee button
- Big Sisters are a admirable foe
- Multiplayer is pretty interesting with the combination of Plasmids available

Cons
- You do not feel like a badass Big Daddy at all!
- Big Sisters become easy to kill after you upgrade your drill all the way
- No "Wow" factor in the story like in Bioshock 1
- No depth in Multiplayer to keep you playing. Based off of Modern Warfare online gameplay
- (imo) helmet distracted the gameplay on the screen, should be toggled off
- You dont feel like there are a size difference between you and splicers, they seem to have gotten a lot taller.
- items seem to not be proportionate (example: jars are bigger than the big daddy's hands. He honestly must be the smallest big daddy alive)  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:50 pm
Tron714
Just decided to rent it this weekend for Valentine's Day and overall I'm not to impressed with this title. This is just a little quick pro and con review of what I thought of the game.

Pros:
- Multiplayer has a little story and gives you insight of what happened to cause this "civil war" in Rapture
- Plasmids evolve

Cons
- No depth in Multiplayer to keep you playing. Based off of Modern Warfare online gameplay
- You dont feel like there are a size difference between you and splicers, they seem to have gotten a lot taller.
- items seem to not be proportionate (example: jars are bigger than the big daddy's hands. He honestly must be the smallest big daddy alive)

Majority of your cons are opinion based and not fact based so GTFO.  

Kunx the Mighty
Crew

Raike99

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:44 pm
BS2 makes you feel like a fat guy with a bucket on his head, not a Big Daddy.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:14 pm
Tron714

Pros:
- Plasmids evolve

Cons

Lol, I liked what you had to say about his size. This was something some friends and I got a good laugh about when we first saw someone playing it. Something to consider is that he's the Big Daddy prototype, so maybe the size increase was something that came farther down the line.  

Haratio TaFotter

yeahime

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:56 pm
Kunx the Mighty
Tron714

Pros:
- Plasmids evolve

Cons

Spoilers: All reviews are just opinion.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:38 pm
yeahime
Kunx the Mighty
Tron714

Pros:
- Plasmids evolve

Cons

Spoilers: All reviews are just opinion.

Good opinions are valid but the the main reason to why multiplayer doesn't work is because of balanced issues.  

Kunx the Mighty
Crew

Cybylt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:39 pm
Compared to the production models, Delta is just a spliced up guy in a suit.

And I'd also like to say that I think the only way the game could have been better was if 2K Boston worked on it instead of Marin and Australia.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:10 pm
Cybylt
Compared to the production models, Delta is just a spliced up guy in a suit.

And I'd also like to say that I think the only way the game could have been better was if 2K Boston worked on it instead of Marin and Australia.

2k Boston is no more! Its back to Irrational Games like it should of been. I at least think the only thing that needed improvement was the story. I would of liked it more and it would of lived up to my expectations. They got everything else right, except with some minor issues I could easily look over.  

Tron714
Vice Captain

The Ginger Dude

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:04 pm
It's odd to think that the first had a great story, but dissapointing gameplay, (customizing weapons was a smart move), then the 2nd had great gameplay, but lackluster story, but both had great scores  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:01 am
A game's score is usually an extension of its hype, how much influence the publisher has, and how much "awesome stuffs!!!" a game has.

Perfect example of the influence part - medium sized review site www.gamekult.com gave Heavy Rain a 6/10, calling it an interactive movie that's a series of QTEs, not this super innovative game a lot of people think it is, and Sony blacklisted them. Blacklisting means that Sony will never send them games for review until they are removed from the blacklist.

A lot of reviewers are under pressure to not be blacklisted, otherwise they'll lose out on being able to play games before the general public and release reviews before or around the game's release.  

nitnit
Captain

Cybylt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:32 pm
nitnit
A game's score is usually an extension of its hype, how much influence the publisher has, and how much "awesome stuffs!!!" a game has.

Perfect example of the influence part - medium sized review site www.gamekult.com gave Heavy Rain a 6/10, calling it an interactive movie that's a series of QTEs, not this super innovative game a lot of people think it is, and Sony blacklisted them. Blacklisting means that Sony will never send them games for review until they are removed from the blacklist.

A lot of reviewers are under pressure to not be blacklisted, otherwise they'll lose out on being able to play games before the general public and release reviews before or around the game's release.

User Image

Happy someone agrees with me on that, and it's bullcrap that Sony blacklisted them over it.

I should correct myself though. Indigo Prophesy was QTE: The Game... Heavy Rain is QTE: The Sequel  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:02 pm
I meant music-score, but good point cool  

The Ginger Dude

Cybylt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:57 pm
Reading up on GameKult, a 6 from them is like a 9 from all of the a**-kisser reviewers. They gave Mass Effect 2, Little Big Planet and other generally huge-praised games 7's.

Basically if they give something an 8 or above it means they think its a milestone and masterpiece of the industry.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:26 am
From everything I've seen from friends playing it, and from the "crazy things" people can do with it online, Little Big Planet deserves a 7. Mass Effect 2 is on the way from Gamefly right now, but I'm sure that game deserves no higher than an 8 at best.  

nitnit
Captain

Cybylt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:49 pm
Their pros and cons are pretty fair too.

Pros:
* Well done intrigue
* A real influence on events
* Quite good-looking
* Neat direction
* Easy to handle

Cons:
* We're often bored
* QTEs for really everything and anything
* Clumsy gameplay
* Serious rhythm problems
* Some inconsistencies in the scenario