Submit

Psycho Lee

Shameless Lunatic

7,000 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:16 pm
Well, usually if something is converted from one media into a movie, Hollywood, run by rich white people who are stupid, they're going to ******** it up somehow.

They're saying the movie The Last Airbender is racist. Why? Because while in the Cartoon, the water village is Inuit, and the fire tribe looks Asian, in the movie almost everyone is WHITE. Of course, this is Hollywood, where they cast Goku as a white bullied teenager. Hollywood cares more about the money that makes those fat WASP ******** who run it richer, by putting out movies with teen heartthrobs and well-known actors, than casting the parts with actors that look more like the people they're depicting. Like asians, for Airbender.

But you would think that M. Night Shamalamadingdong, being an Indian, would know better. Yet he casts everyone as white, except for the Fire Tribe, who are the villains of the cartoon series. They're all cast with INDIAN actors.

So, whites good, brown skinned people bad? You know, This movie's starting to make James Cameron's Avatar look completely diverse and non-racist as possible.

Add to the fact that the main character's female friend is played by the rich, spoiled, brat of the billionaire who runs Wendy's. Who thinks that daddy's influence and money, being that he's an evil rich person, got her into that movie. From the trailer she looks like she plays the character as a weakling who expects the man to save her a**. Even though, from what I can tell from the cartoon, her character is supposed to be a tomboy who can fight for herself.

I have never seen the cartoon, so I expect this will help me to enjoy it. and special effects wise it looks neat. But will Hollywood stop putting out s**t with little plot and white actors JUST because they want to make money?  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:12 pm
......woot woot for James Cameron's Avatar! *meekly waves a flag*  

stickfanatic

Fashionable Streaker

5,600 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Wolfrham

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:56 pm
I'm not going to enjoy the Airbender movie at all simply because of the fact that all the characters are "the wrong race". (Sorry there's no less ignorant sounding way to really say that lmao.
A lot of people argue that by not letting white actors play Asian characters that too could be seen as racism as well.
But for most hardcore fans,..they want to see a smooth transition between the cartoon series and the movies. And right after the plot comes the characters in order of important aspects that people want preserved.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:14 pm
Yeah, I was kinda like "... What?" when I read about that. Mmm, good 'ol unconscious racism.  

Shakeidas

Skreemer

Wild Prophet

6,700 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Demonic Associate 100
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:20 pm
You wanna see something really racist?
You search Sambo in the game Scribblenauts and it gives you a watermelon.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:35 pm
Well, isn't this his vision of the story? I honestly don't care as long as the story isn't completely derailed. Race was the last thing I was paying attention to with the cartoon.  

Gundamu

Assimilated Wolf

Garek Maxwell

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:55 pm
I play a brown wolf online, with an affinity for disco and funkin' it up, but no one complains! mad

In all fake-seriousness though, you could always have a situation like this...
http://www.theonion.com/content/video/disney_lab_unveils_its_latest  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:11 pm
I was actually waiting for this to pop up, yeah it is racism to put ''whites'' over there original characters, like making the water tribe...less cooler... and goku a white teen or they make specific characters look weak and or super lame a** then come M.night what his face and changes avatar making it look and feel shity i admit im a fan from the cartoons >< and the Effects looks nicely done but its alll for nothing if they change the story or the characters also on an other note......my stupid non cable watching friends say the this avatar the last airbender is the sequel to the AVATAR movie................stupid assholes thats why theres so many stupid ppl around if u let them breed ...........  

CyrusVillalobo

Shirtless Werewolf

5,900 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Tycoon 200

Sunegami

Playful Nerd

22,040 Points
  • Pizza Party Attendee 500
  • 1000 High Score 100
  • OTP 200
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:05 pm
Promitheus Zek
goku a white teen

I was waiting for someone to bring this up. Although I was less concerned with the fact that he was played by a white teen than the fact that they made him a high schooler. WT <********> F? XP  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:04 pm
Psycho Lee
But will Hollywood stop putting out s**t with little plot and white actors JUST because they want to make money?
No. No, they won't.  

Thorn apple

Nurses Aids

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:26 pm
M.Night made Last Airbender???????????  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:27 am
stickfanatic
......woot woot for James Cameron's Avatar! *meekly waves a flag*

BURN HER AT THE STAKE!  

tikiu1221

Beautiful Vomit

Loiterer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:46 am
Its only racist if you make it that way.

Who cares if he casts all brown people as the fire tribe?
Brown people are freaking hot, and therefor get to be the fire tribe.
;P

And another thing,
who cares if the others are going to be white?
as long as the movie it awesome(which its going to be), then it doesn't matter.
In the anime, did they actually flat out say that they were Asian?
I haven't finished the anime, so I'm kinda just wondering.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:31 am
ive if we b***h about..there not gona change things and this will keep happen for years to come  

CyrusVillalobo

Shirtless Werewolf

5,900 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Tycoon 200

Psycho Lee

Shameless Lunatic

7,000 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:45 am
Quote:
Ok, just want to put this simple. Everyone is ticked that the casting has changed from the show. I wasn't too happy about it either, however, to sacrifice a chance for this movie to go through all 3 seasons, over something as small as racial differences is kind of dumb.

Keep in mind that they had to find actors that can work with Martial Arts. It is not something easily learned. Then the other little fact is someone that speaks clear English. Sorry, but do you want a movie where you need subtitles to understand the characters or a movie that has good writing, action, and drama with good spoken English?

So obviously they needed characters that knew martial arts. What, only white kids know martial arts? (I'm not saying all asians are born knowing advanced kung fu, but this seems a weak argument on his part, that they hired white people because they could do martial arts).

I really thought this guy was an idiot for saying that they needed actors that spoke clear english, as if anyone who's not caucasian can't speak a lick of English. ignoring all the people who are foreign and yet speak clear english, or all the asian-american, hispanic-american, and other people born in america for whom english is their first language.

My response:
Quote:
"Keep in mind that they had to find actors that can work with Martial Arts."

Do you think Keanu Reeves knew martial arts before he did the Matrix? Do you think the boy who plays the lead for Airbender, or his rich-brat of a female lead, know martial arts, considering they're both kids? Actors often need to be TAUGHT martial arts for a part, because Hollywood would rather cast a well-known face like Reeves and just teach him martial arts than have some unknown martial arts master play the part. It's called star power. Anyone can and IS taught kung-fu for parts in Hollywood without any previous experience.

"Sorry, but do you want a movie where you need subtitles to understand the characters or a movie that has good writing, action, and drama with good spoken English?"

Now this just screams racism. You're assuming that anyone who looks non-white wouldn't be able to speak clear English. You fail to take into account the many people, who's parents are non-white immigrants, who were born in the USA, who are second-generation Asian or Hispanic or Indian or African, and speak fluent and clear English. In fact, California, where Hollywood is, has a huge Asian-American population, many of them first, second, third generation, who look Asian enough, but speak perfect English. There are also plenty of other children of immigrants who were born here and are fluent English. This racist comment of yours that if they're not white, they must not speak good english, is ignorant and crap.

Might be screaming at a wall because this guy sounds rather ignorant, but oh well.  
Adult Furries Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff