Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
does anybody use a broom Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ritual at Dusk

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:15 am
in witchcraft brooms are sued to clear away negative energy. Does anybody use a broom. SOmetimes they are referred to as besom brooms or just besoms. These brooms are supposed to be sued for magick ONLY! If you do use a broom did you make it or buy it, and is it short of long?  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:16 am
There is an article in the July 2008 Midnight Times on how to make your own besom.

I don't use one currently, though I'd like to have one eventually. When I'm cleansing, I tend to use other methods than sweeping, but it's a still a great way to clear out a room if you have one.

Off topic... it's magic (without the "k"). The "K" refers specifically to Thelema. biggrin  

ncsweet
Crew

Ritual at Dusk

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:17 am
ncsweet
There is an article in the July 2008 Midnight Times on how to make your own besom.

I don't use one currently, though I'd like to have one eventually. When I'm cleansing, I tend to use other methods than sweeping, but it's a still a great way to clear out a room if you have one.

Off topic... it's magic (without the "k"). The "K" refers specifically to Thelema. biggrin

I have 2. One I made that is longer and one I bought that is short. What is thelma? I have checked and it said that the 'k' in magick is to differentiate between stage magic and real magic, such as the stuff in the occult.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:38 am
Thelema was founded by Aleister Crowley. He used the "k" to differentiate between stage magic and occult magic (the "k" also has numerological significance which was important to him). However other authors picked up on it and started using it as well, but the fact is that it is specific to Thelema.

In general, if you are talking to others who are like minded, they will know that you aren't talking about stage magic or illusion type magic, so there is no need to add the "k".  

ncsweet
Crew

Ritual at Dusk

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:27 pm
ncsweet
Thelema was founded by Aleister Crowley. He used the "k" to differentiate between stage magic and occult magic (the "k" also has numerological significance which was important to him). However other authors picked up on it and started using it as well, but the fact is that it is specific to Thelema.

In general, if you are talking to others who are like minded, they will know that you aren't talking about stage magic or illusion type magic, so there is no need to add the "k".

I find it a habit. Considering that there are so many books, movies, and other things around about witches flying brooms, doing blood sacrifices, shooting fire from their fingers, I think that the "k" also helps differentiate between fantasy and real life, as do many occult writers.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:47 pm
Nightmare Apparition
ncsweet

I find it a habit. Considering that there are so many books, movies, and other things around about witches flying brooms, doing blood sacrifices, shooting fire from their fingers, I think that the "k" also helps differentiate between fantasy and real life, as do many occult writers.

Habits can change. Sometimes, they should change.

"Many occult writers" =|= always accurate. Lots of modern "occult authors" also say that Wicca is the aynchunt wytch gawdes fayth of olde Uurup. Just because some folks have nicked off with it to sell a few more books, doesn't mean that it has an original and correct context and meaning.

And as Sweet said, given the audience here in the guild and in other places where you may talk about your magical practices and such, there is still no need to differentiate between actual magic and the fantasy magic that gets popularized.  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

Ritual at Dusk

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:16 pm
Violet Song jat Shariff
Nightmare Apparition
ncsweet

Habits can change. Sometimes, they should change.

"Many occult writers" =|= always accurate. Lots of modern "occult authors" also say that Wicca is the aynchunt wytch gawdes fayth of olde Uurup. Just because some folks have nicked off with it to sell a few more books, doesn't mean that it has an original and correct context and meaning.

And as Sweet said, given the audience here in the guild and in other places where you may talk about your magical practices and such, there is still no need to differentiate between actual magic and the fantasy magic that gets popularized.

okay, so you are right that there is no reason here in the guild... but I prefere to use that context  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:05 am
I have a lovely besom.
I used it at weddings for the most part.  

Brass Bell Doll

3,750 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Ritual at Dusk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:35 pm
Brass Bell Doll
I have a lovely besom.
I used it at weddings for the most part.

that is great to hear! It seems to me that nobody uses them anymore. I used mine just last night to cleanse the area before I cast my circle, which was very succesful! I also made an oil to help soothe pain!  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:40 am
I read the guide on how to make a besom and I have a question. What exactly is meant by "charging"?  

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150

Brass Bell Doll

3,750 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:20 am
rmcdra
I read the guide on how to make a besom and I have a question. What exactly is meant by "charging"?

It's an act of imbuing an object with a specific energy.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:56 am
Brass Bell Doll
rmcdra

Okay how does one imbue and what is energy?  

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150

ncsweet
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:55 pm
rmcdra
Brass Bell Doll
rmcdra

Okay how does one imbue and what is energy?

There are probably any number of ways to charge something, and the "energy" you are charging with also depends on exactly what you are doing. For example you can charge something with lunar energy, by simply letting it sit in the moonlight for a night (or several) as needed.

In my own personal practice, if I am charging something for a magical purpose - say adding healing energy to something, then I would hold the item in my hand and visualize it surrounded by a green glowing ball of energy. I would then visualize the item absorbing the energy so that it would be taking on that quality that I am charging it. (for me green is a healing color, though I know that there are quite a few others who feel the same way, it doesn't necessarily meant that it is true across the board, it's just how I work with it). Sometimes I might even vocalize my intentions as well, it really just depends on what I'm doing.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:12 pm
I have a short broom that my Mother got me that I keep at the inside doorway of my room. Sometimes I use it to sweep away negative energy from the room usually after I have cleaned it to complete the process.  

Musical_Vampire_Socks

27,300 Points
  • The Sweetest 250
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Converting 100 items 100

Daearen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:46 pm
I have one! :3 but not in the physical sense. I visualize that I'm using one to sweep away negative energy. It works great for me sense i would not no how to hide such a thing from my parents. all my other magical tools are much smaller and easier to hide.  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games