Welcome to Gaia! ::

[3 Wishes: A Dragonball Z Slash Guild]

Back to Guilds

For all the Dragonball/Z/Gt Slash (Yaoi) You could ever want. 

Tags: Dragonball Z, Slash, Yaoi, Romance, Shounen-ai 

Reply [3 Wishes: A Dragonball Z Slash Guild]
What makes a good fan fic? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Which is better?
  Fan Fic
  Doujin
  Neither
  Where ever there are hot sexings... I'll be there.
View Results

Ms Reni

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:35 pm
Weither it's a OneShot or a full blown chapter story, what makes in an enjoyable fan fic for you? Heck, We can even talk about Doujin too. Is it the pairing alone, or do you need a plot? Lingering romance, funny dialog, hot sexings, mystery, artwork or writing style? Do you prefer POV writing, Narative or the "Person: blah blah" Style?

For me, when it comes to fanfics, the pairing really helps, but if the plot sounds interesting I'll usually read a bit no matter what the pairing (Unless its a pairing I can't stand). I'm a big fan of writers who can make their story line atleast some what believable. Don't you love it when you find a story that goes:

Goku: Hey Vegeta! Wanna have sex?

Vegeta: What? Hell no!

Goku: You sure? I have a p***s.

Vegeta: You do? Well hot damn, why didn't you say so!

I sure as hell don't.

Mind you, one part of a fan fic I enjoy is any internal struggle or denial. I know. I'm a freak. Couldn't you tell from my avi? Moving swiftly on...

As you can tell, I do like the longer fan fics. I am a plot person, and the more interesting, the better. If it has humour, thats a plus for me. And I also enjoy narative and POV (More so if its IN charature.)

As for Doujin, its the art. If it doesn't look like the person, I can't look at it.
But of course, who doesn't love the hot sexings?  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:38 pm
In Character, of course, is the most important aspect possible, really.

Personally I tend to like 3rd person limited (so, from one characters POV, but not told in their voice) more than 1st person, simply because I find it very hard to find writers who can writer 1st person really, really well.

And sexy, sexy romantic sex.

And angst.  

[Ren The Ryoko]
Captain

7,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200

Ms Reni

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:41 pm
[Ren The Ryoko]

Personally I tend to like 3rd person limited (so, from one characters POV, but not told in their voice) more than 1st person, simply because I find it very hard to find writers who can writer 1st person really, really well.

And angst.

Ah yes, 3rd person. It does make a fic easier to read, I think. Plus you can move though a plot smoother with it I think.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:51 pm
Ms Reni
[Ren The Ryoko]

And angst.

Ah yes, 3rd person. It does make a fic easier to read, I think. Plus you can move though a plot smoother with it I think.

Though to be fair, when 1st person is done well it's AMAZING.

But yes, I prefer 3rd person limited.
3rd person omniscient I feel tends to lack voice and personality in it's narrative.  

[Ren The Ryoko]
Captain

7,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200

whorrend0us

Aged Gekko

6,750 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Team Edward 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:49 pm
What makes a good fanfic, you say? I'm gonna sound like such an a*****e for this, but being an author myself...

1) Knowing the characters. You MUST, MUST, MUST know the limitations of the characters; i.e. how "out of character" you can make them before it becomes one giant fail. For example, you can make Goku as nutty as you want, though you can't say he goes around and sleeps with every woman in town, because that just isn't him. Unless the whole purpose of your fic is to explore the "what-if" side of his character.

2) Proper grammar, or at least a decent attempt at proper grammar. My grammar is no where near perfect, and probably never will be. Though, I still try. Grammar checkers don't always help, but in most cases they do. Spell checkers, too.

3) Interesting plot. This is really a hit and miss when it comes to fanfiction. It's really all up to the reader's interests. If you want to write a fic based on a couple going out for a romantic evening full of fishing and sex in the woods, more power to you. Just as long as said couple doesn't use the fish in any way during sex. Food play is a no-no for me.

That's really all that matters to me.
<-- Jerk gonk  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:56 am
Mother Jenova
What makes a good fanfic, you say? I'm gonna sound like such an a*****e for this, but being an author myself...

1) Knowing the characters. You MUST, MUST, MUST know the limitations of the characters; i.e. how "out of character" you can make them before it becomes one giant fail. For example, you can make Goku as nutty as you want, though you can't say he goes around and sleeps with every woman in town, because that just isn't him. Unless the whole purpose of your fic is to explore the "what-if" side of his character.

2) Proper grammar, or at least a decent attempt at proper grammar. My grammar is no where near perfect, and probably never will be. Though, I still try. Grammar checkers don't always help, but in most cases they do. Spell checkers, too.

3) Interesting plot. This is really a hit and miss when it comes to fanfiction. It's really all up to the reader's interests. If you want to write a fic based on a couple going out for a romantic evening full of fishing and sex in the woods, more power to you. Just as long as said couple doesn't use the fish in any way during sex. Food play is a no-no for me.

That's really all that matters to me.
<-- Jerk gonk

I really agree with this. I am ashamed to say that my grammar isn't the best as well, so it makes me a little nervous when posting fanfics of my own. I admit, it maked reading a fic difficult when there are so many typos. (Note to self: Proof read more DX )

As for the OOCness, I am really thankful when an auther wores people about it. So many times I have really gotten into a fan fic, only to find that Vegeta likes to prance around in a skirt and try on lipstick. (I'm all for that and whatever, but leave the prince alone! LEAVE HIM ALONE DX) < Wow, horrid fan girl moment...Moving swiftly on.

I have to say, one thing I find interesting about Fanfics and doujin is the different fetishes one can come across. I admit, some of them burn my eyes, but others are rather interesting.  

Ms Reni

Belial the Worthless
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:05 am
First of all, I like Doujins better than Fanfics, just because Doujins take more work and tend to suck less.

But yes. IN CHARACTER. -growls-  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:10 pm
a awsome plot.

a awsome villan

awsome powers

no lame jokes

NO PUCKING FULLERS!

pritty much make it like megas XLR and DBZ

gotenks ss1

[Ren The Ryoko]
Captain

7,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:26 am
gotenks ss1
a awsome plot.

a awsome villan

awsome powers

no lame jokes

NO PUCKING FULLERS!

pritty much make it like megas XLR and DBZ

Lame jokes are pretty damn annoying  
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 1:19 pm
popo naked  

Saiyan-Cetra Kid

Bittersweetpain

11,950 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:08 pm
I like reading and writting fanfics that are in play style.
(meaning "Person: 'blah, blah, blah'").
But i'll read anything with a good plot, pairing, romantic sexing, and is believable.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:17 am
vandesbride
But i'll read anything with a good plot, pairing, romantic sexing, and is believable.
I've actually played around with that type of style,
probably since I think plays are the easiest form of literature to read.
They're usually pretty entertaining too,
and a struggle if you're not used to writing in the present tense.
They can also be difficult if you're bad with describing things.
They're a nice way to challenge yourself as a writer. c:  

whorrend0us

Aged Gekko

6,750 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Team Edward 100
  • Noob wrangler 100

Bittersweetpain

11,950 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:31 pm
Mother Jenova
vandesbride
I've actually played around with that type of style,
probably since I think plays are the easiest form of literature to read.
They're usually pretty entertaining too,
and a struggle if you're not used to writing in the present tense.
They can also be difficult if you're bad with describing things.
They're a nice way to challenge yourself as a writer. c:

i agree....
ilove challenges that's why i started messing around with the style. then i found i loved writting fanfics that way  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:02 pm
It's hard to say. I really do have to enjoy the pairing first, but I do enjoy unusual pairings if it's written well/believably.

The grammar doesn't have to be perfect, but I want to actually be able to tell what the author has written.

I don't mind it when authors write the characters out of character, but they have to put a warning first so I'm expecting it.

I know this sounds mean, but I can't bring myself to read fan fictions that are based soley on fluff. It can be there, but I want more sustenance to a fan fiction. You know what I mean?  

Spork_All_The_Way

4,800 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Contributor 150

[Ren The Ryoko]
Captain

7,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:53 pm
exclaim exclaim exclaim

This is a Prize Post!
Be the first to quote it and win a prize!

[3 Wishes: A Dragonball Z Slash Guild]

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff