Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Animal Lovers Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for all animal lovers and pet owners 

Tags: animal lovers, pets, animals, cats birds dogs fish reptile, official animal lovers guild 

Reply Main Forum
Bettas, Ratties, and Expos, Oh My! Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Foofy_Miru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:43 pm
This weekend was hectic... But FUN!

Saturday, March 13th, was the "debut" of the Seattle Metro Reptile Expo, and it was great! I couldn't get anything but supplies and some silkworms for Man Ray, but still... Just gawking at all the gorgeous herps was therapeutic. The turn-out was great... There were so many vendors, they had to put some in the hallway outside of the already huge conference room it was being held in. There were so many people even by the time I got there (two or three hours late) that you were lucky to get through a walkway, let alone close to most tables! YES, I view this as a good thing, lol! I also found out there's another Seattle expo (a bigger one) in June... Can't wait!!!

Okay, now you're probably wondering, "What's with the fish and rodents?" Well, on Sunday, I loaded up a 75 gal aquarium, along with its stand and some other "goodies," and made the 2+ hour trip back up to Tacoma--this time to deliver aforementioned stuff to a friend. We'd already been talking, for a couple of weeks, about trading my spare 75 for a few of her non-herp animals... Er, make that, ALL of her non-herp, non-canine animals... And agreed on a trade for some frozen rats for the stand. (As for the goodies--well, let's just say she owes me a blue tongue skink once I can start getting new animals again... wink ) So we took up the stuff, loaded it into her house... And walked out with 3 rats and 2 bettas. Yep! My first rats ever (Sunday being only my second and, when we got home, third times holding live, more-than-a-week-old rats), and my first bettas since the one I had at age 8 committed "suicide." Squeee!!! Yesterday, too, I bought a nice rat cage from someone on Craigslist (for only $50, too--more "squeeee!") and traded a tiny exo-terra terrarium for some aquariums and a heat lamp... Which didn't work out as well as I'd hoped, since the guy didn't understand that "do they hold water?" meant "I want to use them for fish." Oh well. Anyway, I think I've rambled a bit here... lol.

So, without further ado, here are the new additions. Any name ideas?

First, the bettas! Sorry for the crappy pics. Fish don't like to cooperate... lol.

We start with the "blue" betta, in his spiffy new 10 gal (complete with spiffy new filter--just need to get foliage and a heater).
User Image
User Image
User Image

Next up is the "pink" betta, in the largest vase I could find--holds 2 or 3 gallons. Also pretty barren. I'd like to get him in an aquarium soon so he can have a filter, too. For now, he actually seems to be faring better than the blue betta--probably because the vase is smaller, and they both lived in little betta bowls/tiny vases for a year before yesterday night.
User Image
User Image

And now for the rattie girls...
This first one is a b&w hooded. She's almost a year old, and probably pregnant--the reason my friend originally got into rats was to try saving money by breeding feeders... Well, this is the sole survivor of the feeder breeding, and she's an absolute sweetheart, aside from being a bit skittish.
User Image

Originally, I was JUST going to take her, because she was the only one. However, about a week ago, my friend got two more ratties because she could tell the b&w girl was getting terribly depressed being all alone. These are those ratties... Two young red-eyed whites, probably sisters.
User Image

And the rattie cage... Also pretty barren... I'm going to see about picking up some nice hammocks and such. I think there was someone on CL selling home-made fleece hammocks... Hm...
User Image

And, wa-la! Just like that, my collection has grown from 27 reptiles and 4 dogs to 27 reptiles, 4 dogs, 3 rats, and 2 fish... Talk about a zoo, lol! Again, any name suggestions are welcome and appreciated. I'll post update pics when the tanks and cage are a bit more "filled" with foliage and toys. =)  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:03 pm
But wait, there's more!

The girls started running around and playing after the excitement of getting their pictures taken... So, of course, I took more pictures! Lol.

User Image

User Image

User Image

User Image

User Image

Please excuse the gaping hole in the floor--that's where the food dish normally goes.. Except the REWs kept dragging their food to the bottom floor, which is really annoying. So the food dish is on the bottom floor until they chill out and get used to their new home... lol.
User Image

User Image  

Foofy_Miru

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:39 pm
congrats on the rats! ive beenmeaning to get some girls, my boys are so messy lol

and the bettas are beautiful! im sure they will get more active after settling in a bit more. going from a tiny home to having alot of room some of them can get a little stressed out but they learn to really love it  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:40 pm
Thanks! I've been wanting rats for awhile, I just didn't expect it to happen so soon, lol. I can't wait to try my hand at training them... I even bought a book on training on our way home... lol!

I just hope the blue betta doesn't get sick from all the stress... He's spent the last 12 hours laying in the front right corner of the tank, against the glass. He ate a few food pellets last night after I got him in the tank, but that's it. Bleh. It's a shame I don't have any aquarium plants... Just garlands from the craft store... =P  

Foofy_Miru

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:48 pm
he may be constipated. try giving him a thawed pea and break the skin before giving it to him. also keep the tank nice and warm. i keep my betta tanks between 75-80 and its worked well for my guys and gals

and rats are so much fun to train! ive trained all of mine to come to me when i make kissy noises  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:02 am
Shanna66
he may be constipated. try giving him a thawed pea and break the skin before giving it to him. also keep the tank nice and warm. i keep my betta tanks between 75-80 and its worked well for my guys and gals

and rats are so much fun to train! ive trained all of mine to come to me when i make kissy noises

Hopefully I'll be getting a couple low wattage heater for them tomorrow.. Until then, he's room temp. ... Which, actually, is around 78*F at the surface tonight, according to my temp gun (that might be the fault of the old fluorescent light I stuck over him today).. I'll see if we have any frozen peas and give them each one, just in case. Sounds like a good idea, anyway.  

Foofy_Miru

Foofy_Miru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:42 pm
Crap. I keep forgetting to update! If there are any typos, please ignore them--I'm struggling to keep a very active rattie lady from touring the deep, dark crevices of my bedroom. Lol!

Anyway, first the betta. I got him a couple nice plants (no idea what kind..) from my favorite local pet store (who keep their bettas in tanks, NOT cups! Yaay!) the other day. After a couple days of settling in and the addition of the plants, he is doing MUCH better!
User Image
User Image

The ratties have names now! The hooded is Papaya, and the REWs are Mango and Kiwi (though I still can't tell them apart!).
I added a cardboard border to the top shelf of the cage. It's Papaya's favorite place to hang out, and I figure, if she actually is pregnant, she's going to give birth there... And we certainly wouldn't want any little babies falling from that height!
User Image

Today, I finally decided it was time to start handling the rats. Or, at least, Papaya. I'm a bit wary of those REW girls... Lol. She's insanely active. She peed on me 3 times... And just finished pooping on me (back in the cage you go!). She's an absolute sweetie, though. Okay, that's it. I'm officially IN LOVE! I <3 rats! *really hoping Papaya is pregnant!!!*
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image

"Gah! iHerp! Snakes!!! RUN AWAY!"
User Image

I hope you enjoyed! =)  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:09 pm
so cute! and im sure you will be able to tell them apart soon. 2 of my boys are black berkshires and they look just alike unless they are in your face, but they act very different

and im happy the betta is doing better. goodness he is tiny.  

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

Foofy_Miru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:49 pm
Shanna66
so cute! and im sure you will be able to tell them apart soon. 2 of my boys are black berkshires and they look just alike unless they are in your face, but they act very different

and im happy the betta is doing better. goodness he is tiny.

Lol! Yeah, I'll figure it out. From what I've seen, they each have quirks... The problem is figuring out who's doing what at any given time. I'm waiting to really assign their names until I can tell who's who.

I know! I didn't realize how tiny he was until I got him in there... Oh well. I'm going to research good tankmates for male bettas and fill some of that extra room with a few other fish. Just have to give it time to cycle first. (Should probably get test strips for that, huh? lol.) I can't wait!  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:09 pm
cory cats and honey gouramis make good tank mates for bettas, ive got them in my community tank and the gouramis are always adding onto my boy's bubble nest. german rams also get alot really well with bettas but they can be tricky to care for  

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

Foofy_Miru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:00 am
Yeah, I was thinking a cory cats would be fun. I'm afraid, though, that a school of cories would be too much for a little 10 gal... I'd like to do neon tetras or something small like that, and I've been thinking about otos. Eh... I'll figure it out. Eventually. Lol. I'll probably end up putting the pink betta in a 20L.. More room to work with as a community tank. =)  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:19 am
i was told that as long as you have at least 3 they should be happy and to not put anymore than 3 in a 10gal. some people sya you need at least 5 and other say at least 3, ive only ever had 3 and they seem happy  

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

Foofy_Miru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:58 pm
I've read 4 or more. I'm afraid of overstocking the tank, though, so I'll wait on the cories until I have a the 20L (or 29..) tank I've always wanted... lol.

Geeze. My rats are so backwards. I got out each of the REWs today, and they were both really calm and easy to handle. (And one of them has no manners--she peed on me 2 or 3 times, and pooped in my lap 3 times!) Then I got Papaya out, and she was so all over the place I had to put her back so I could finish this post... Shouldn't the younger ones be the hyper ones? Lol. Silly ratties.

Dang it. I already want more rats... But I want to wait a few months, so I know I'm up to the challenge of more than one cage (I've never been good about cleaning rodent cages to begin with). But I want more rats NOOOWWW... This sucks. xD  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:59 pm
sounds like you've got a case of ggmr, gotta get more rats  

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

Foofy_Miru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:03 am
Shanna66
sounds like you've got a case of ggmr, gotta get more rats

Oh nooo! Aren't I suffering from enough of these strange and convoluted animal addiction syndromes? Lol!

It's so hard, though... It's a good thing I'm broke. The only way I can give in ahead of time is if someone posts a nice cage for free on Freecycle or Craigslist... Then all bets are off!  
Main Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff