Maybe...
View Results

eleanne

4,650 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:28 am
I am looking for books for my little brother. He's in fifth grade and doesn't know the 'facts of life' but he can handle mild cursing.

Currently he is reading Evil Genius by Catherine Jinks, but he also enjoyed the Percy Jackson series, Cry of the Icemark by Stuart Hill, and the Artemis Fowl series.

In general he likes lots of battles and humor, without too much gore or melodrama. He's not into girls yet so as little romance as possible is preferred. This eliminates many of my books that he would otherwise enjoy- so I would love it if you could recommend some books he might like.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:25 am

Hm...well, if he liked Artemis Fowl, maybe he'll like Supernaturalists? Well, it gets slightly romantic but it's not heavy or anything.

Or maybe he'd like The Half-Moon Investigations (made me lol), or the Wishlist?

Paradoxismminant
Captain

eleanne

4,650 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:46 pm
Those are good ideas... Supernaturalist is a bit too suspensful/ dark for him but perhaps he would like the others.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:09 pm

Yeah...the one I would recommend the most it probably the Half-moon Investigations

Paradoxismminant
Captain

ThatMayhemMayFollow

4,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:26 am
He could probably handle the original Maximum Ride trilogy. Sure, there's a bit of romance, but nothing too much until the end of book 5, which is why I said the original trilogy.

Hm... if he's still into Disney and Nick, he might like The Kingdom Keepers. It's about kids and Disney World and the disney characters coming to life. I read it when I was in the fifth grade...

Yeah. I agree though. The Half-moon Investigations.  
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 1:59 pm
Oh my gosh, I forgot to mention Max, but he loved those too!  

eleanne

4,650 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200

katkat74

6,050 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 4:39 pm
These may be a little bit of a hard read for him, but he may like Blood Magic (theres a sequel to it as well), there isnt very much romance in there and he could also try The Book Theif, not too much action-but if hes insterested in WW2 then..go for it-there isnt any romance in here, but it might be hard from the vocabulary.

Some easier reads might be Hatchet-i remember having to read this in school and it was very good, very action adventurey. and there might even be a sequel to this(not sure tho)  
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 10:57 am
Yeah, the book thief has some language that I'm not sure if he would be ready for.
But I'm definitely going to try Kingdom Keepers, Half-Moon Investigations, Hatchet, and Blood Magic. Thanks so much you guys!  

eleanne

4,650 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200

Paradoxismminant
Captain

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 5:30 pm

No problem^^!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:46 am
The Secret Life of Bees immediately jumps to mind.
Redwall was amazing for me. It's written for kids that age. It's by Brian Jacques. Taught me the 'facts of life' in a way. It's got a few epic battle scenes in it, but nothing too graphic. No curse words at all. They use insults like "apple-tongued boar!" instead of what we use today. Can't think of any specifically, ...but that's the way they do it.

Can't think of any more that a fifth grader would like...I'll keep thinking. Get him to check out The Secret Garden and Little Women. Those are great for any age group. The Princess Bride might work too....?  

Green_crayon42

Interesting Gekko

eleanne

4,650 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:55 am
He liked Redwall and series, but said it eventually got too repetitive. The Secret Garden and Little Women moved a tad too slow for him... right now he is reading the Septimus Heap series.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:28 am
the Secret Life of Bees might be slightly too adult...and it's kind of romantic and all, so maybe when he's a little older?

Mostly because there's that little scene about "limbs twisting like black and white braids" and stuff  

Ncrypt1d Threadkiller

rutarete

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:37 pm
I love Evil Genius! you know, the third book in that series comes out (in the u.s. around this October  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:38 pm
I have recently read The Talisman by Stephen King & Peter Straub. Excellent, excellent book
I am currently reading My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult. Great read.  

Green_crayon42

Interesting Gekko

Lewpy Von Cakes

Hilarious Fatcat

6,550 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:06 am
User Image

╠══Ţö ƄƏ ŏŗ ńŏť ťō ßê

How about the Prisoner of Zenda, but it is a little difficult to read because of advanced wordings :l.

Ƕơŵ ŵȱȗȴƉ Ǐ ʞȵȯw,Ȋ ȡȉȡȠț ǻșʞ Şƕąʞɜʂpɘȁȑȅ══╣

Honk if you love reading!

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces