No
View Results

XDGal

5,550 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:18 pm
I personally don't really like reading classics... I tried reading Anne of Green Gables and it kind of felt like I was torturing myself. I think that's just because i'm more of an action reader. I also tried to read The adventures of Tom Sawyer and I read a few chapters then gave up.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:51 am
Depends on the book.  

Semidis--
Vice Captain

Paradoxismminant
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:21 am

Depends. I like some of them, others not so much...I read Anne of Green Gables, which wasn't so bad, and Pride and Prejudice...

But yeah, I tried to read Tom Sawyer and was bored out of my mind. I read literally, about half the page, put the book down, and went to sleep. XD

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:52 pm
Classic is just a general term for a book that has survived for more than a generation- whether this is because it has been forced upon countless schoolchildren or because it's actually liked.
Catcher In The Rye and Pride and Prejudice are good, but I couldn't get anywhere with Anne of Green Gables either.
There are different genres of classics too- from sci-fi and action to Little Women- but I can't think of an 'action' one off the top of my head.  

eleanne

4,650 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200

Ncrypt1d Threadkiller

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:51 pm
eleanne
Classic is just a general term for a book that has survived for more than a generation- whether this is because it has been forced upon countless schoolchildren or because it's actually liked.
Catcher In The Rye and Pride and Prejudice are good, but I couldn't get anywhere with Anne of Green Gables either.
There are different genres of classics too- from sci-fi and action to Little Women- but I can't think of an 'action' one off the top of my head.

loool  
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 11:38 am
I lol'd at that too, Ncrypt1d Threadkiller. =3

Also, I try to get my hands on "The Classics" in their most appealing printed editions (cover wise) as I can, to get myself more than interested but motivated to finish the novel or book.

Plus, I feel since I'm going to be an English Literature Major in college this Fall, I should review them, because I like the idea of inspecting and realizing the ways literature and writing have changed over the times.  

samoholic

Shameless Flatterer

11,600 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Paradoxismminant
Captain

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 3:17 pm
That's a good philosophy^^  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:44 pm
I agree that she/he makes a very good point and I feel the same. I have made an effort to read some of the classics. Little Women is amazing. I read that at Christmastime every year. The Secret Garden is also a good one. Did you guys know that The Hobbit is considered a classic?
I do plan to try to read more but some of them just ....seem difficult or boring.  

Green_crayon42

Interesting Gekko

Samantha Edvard

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:56 am
i usually like classic but its totally depend on the books..esp the story....
plus,i've read a few classic books before and i find it very nice to read...
my fav classic books is Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett...its me and my BFF fav book..haha
3nodding 3nodding 3nodding 3nodding 3nodding  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:21 am
I've actually got a version of The Secret Garden that's like for classrooms. In the back of it it has project suggestions and things. There's one that says to write a modern day version of it. and I think I'm gonna try to do that at some point.  

Green_crayon42

Interesting Gekko

Angelique Sedai

5,250 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:25 pm
I like most classics especially ones by Jane Austen or any of the Bronte sisters. I must say though I find Charles Dickens to be dull and uninteresting...anyone else feel the same way?  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:11 pm
XDGal
I personally don't really like reading classics... I tried reading Anne of Green Gables and it kind of felt like I was torturing myself. I think that's just because i'm more of an action reader. I also tried to read The adventures of Tom Sawyer and I read a few chapters then gave up.

Try Frankenstein, The Mystery of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, The Invisible Man, or Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea . Those are some good classics that are more action-packed.  

TheNewLibrarian

Witty Informer

9,600 Points
  • Piepitcher 100
  • Cheerleader 200
  • Way Too Many Pies 300

Paradoxismminant
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:18 pm
Going along with what Clover said above, The Time Machine...  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:51 am
Night is also a gorgeous classic. I read it in one night.
I want to read Alice and The Looking Glass, Black Beauty, A Little Princess...and a few others I can't recall.
But it truly does depend on what you choose to read yourself.  

Green_crayon42

Interesting Gekko

Bokusenou

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:52 pm
Most things by Oscar Wilde are pretty good, and very accessible.  
Honk if you love reading!

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff