A Buddhism Guild for all Gaians, Buddhist or not 

Tags: buddhism, philosophy, religion, dharma, health 

Reply Loving Kindness: A Buddhism Guild
How do you remind yourself? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

How long have you been practicing Buddhism?
  Less than 1 year
  1 - 3 years
  3 - 10 years
  10 - 25 years
  25+ years or lifetime
  Not practicing, just curious
View Results

ibbi-san

3,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Contributor 150
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:06 pm
I was just wondering how some of you reminded yourself of your beliefs throughout the day. I've found that there are little ways that can help keep me focused on the importance of some parts of my Buddhist faith. For example, the background on my computer is a Buddha statue, and it says "Tranquility." It reminds me to find peace.

Sometimes I'll write "namaste" on my hand, so throughout the school day I'll have that little reminder about the connection between me and everyone else. I wrote "compassion" on my bookmark. How do you remind yourself?  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:21 pm
My avatar tends to remind me to not immediately type everything that comes to my mind and keep compassion rooted in me while I'm on Gaia. 3nodding

When I'm out in the real world, I have a tiny silver Buddha I wear on a necklace alongside my wedding ring (long story involving a metal that can't be resized and weight loss), and I've developed a habit of touching it when stressed to remind me not to lose it and to consider what's really going on instead of dwelling on things and making myself feel worse.  

Cranium Squirrel
Captain

Friendly Trickster

o sunflower king

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:32 pm
I made a bracelet that says, "WWBD." "What would the Buddha do?"

It's pretty childish, but it works. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:46 pm
I am, officially speaking, homeless. I don't have a place anymore to call my own and decorate as I wish. Now I remind myself just by keeping the habit of meditation, but back when I had my own place to decorate I kept symbols and a Buddha statue to remind me everyday.  

Lord Alucard Ere Casanova

Romantic Phantom

9,750 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200

davidm843

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:46 pm
I wear a mala around my left wrist. Anytime I hear a bell ring, have to stand in line, wait in a waiting room, or have to come to a stop in traffic, I bring my attention to my breath and practice mindfulness of the breath for a few moments. I have a Buddha image as a screen saver on my cell phone that I see every time I answer the phone. And I follow an account on Twitter that every 30 minutes sends a text with a phrase used in Metta practice.  
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 9:38 pm
I've got several of these: 卍 drawn in various locations, and I usually have a koan or two on my mind. Other than that, I don't do much to remember my beliefs. I don't need much to remember them. ninja  

Manguusu

Interesting Gekko

7,400 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Voter 100

Shesmuu

6,450 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 6:39 am
I have a big gorgeous poster with a quote from The Buddha on it that I look at everyday. My incense holder is The Buddha as well so whenever I light it, I am reminded to meditate. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 5:33 pm
Shesmuu, what is the quote on your poster?  

Romantic Phantom

9,750 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200

ibbi-san

3,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Contributor 150
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 7:21 pm
Cool, everyone. I would say that my reminders are not necessarily so I don't forget about the path I'm following, but are more to prevent me from becoming passive from day to day.  
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 7:22 pm
wow i like a lot of those.
i don't have any reminders since i cant say i practice Buddhism yet, but when i do i might use some of those (if you'll don't mind whee )  

ThugMoose

Liberal Dabbler

Romantic Phantom

9,750 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 8:37 pm
I don't think anyone here would mind, ThugMoose. It's not like you using a certain method will make it work less effectively for anyone else.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:51 pm
I wear a wrist mala as a reminder to be patient, mindful, and compassionate in my daily life.

Also, I have the added bonus of having a friend who's newly interested in Buddhism, and who frequently wants to talk about it. As a by-product of that, I have the dhamma on my mind a lot. 3nodding  

ZelRyu

Vertigo_Kiwi

Tipsy Wench

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:30 am
I have a Buddha statue in my room, and a fairly large Buddhist wall hanging. It has the quote: "You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.” (which is something major I need to remember, since I have a personal history of self-abuse).

I also have a necklace with a little dharma wheel pendant on it.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:16 am
User Image

I have a Dhamra Wheel with "Om Mani Padme Hum" written in Tibetan on my shoulder... looks sooo pretty! Thats pretty much it though.
User Image heart 4laugh

Je Suis La Vie

Liberal Millionaire

5,850 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Signature Look 250

Sennybell

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:15 pm
I feel very connected to Tibet, and I always think about it on a daily basis. I've often times in the past written my name in Tibetan on my hand or worn a necklace from a Tibet store I volunteer-work at and I've drawn this picture for the back of my school binder:

User Image

Sometimes I'll even wear my prayer beads on my wrist when I go to school. Just little reminders like that. :3 Having these reminders about Tibet reminds me a lot of Buddhism at the first glimpse which reminds me about my true identity when confronting a problem of any sort.

Also, when I walk in my room, I have four sets of prayer flags hanging from the ceiling, a small buddha statue in front of my bed as well as some incense, and many pictures of the Dalai Lama and wonderful Buddhist quotes and such on my wall. Pretty much everywhere I go, I at least have something to remind me.

Loving Kindness: A Buddhism Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff