Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Experiences & Running Panels/Conventions Info
How Not to Cause Drama! Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

SaltyCheerio

Witty Fatcat

8,400 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:59 pm
Drama can be seen in many different settings. Any advice on how to keep a Con drama free?  
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 7:26 pm
As someone who had a terrible time at what would have been an amazing convention because of drama I'll give my advice:

Know who your roommates are and if they may cause drama.

Don't wander around by yourself if your friend is gonna get pissed off about it.

Don't drink. That just causes more problems.

Cyanide Joyride

SakuraRico

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 7:29 pm
All cons have their drama. My suggestion, unless you look for photos, keep clear from the con websites, and especially 4chan >.<  
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 8:15 pm
don't invite a friend who you know is bossy and acts like a Diva. I did this and it's not fun XD  

OhNoesItsMiho

Unbeatable Lover

9,150 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200

Extreme Cuddler
Crew

Sparkly Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 8:58 pm
Steer clear form any possible problems, I have never had con drama, my friends have with each other. Just always be with a good friend, and often switch with which friend u are hanging out with (so they don't think u are ditching the others).  
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 5:10 am
K master of flames
Steer clear form any possible problems, I have never had con drama, my friends have with each other. Just always be with a good friend, and often switch with which friend u are hanging out with (so they don't think u are ditching the others).

And so that you don't get burned out on one friend.

Take some time by yourself every now and then, but make sure you communicate this. It's good to get away from the same person so that both of you can relax and not keep rubbing each other's nerves. (Even if you are perfectly happy with the person presently, trust me, you need some time apart so that later in the con you won't be out of your mind.) Plus, if you go off and do separate stuff, you might have different stories to tell on the drive home!

La Ahna

6,800 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Saint of Swords _SoS

600 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 7:30 am
Turn around, walk away.  
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 9:02 am
Saint of Swords _SoS
Turn around, walk away.

Agreed.  

Tsunji

The Lone Wolf Jedi

3,500 Points
  • Member 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 9:58 am
My only advice is try to get a feel for the kind of people who cause it and avoid them entirely, here are some I've noticed:

1. Cosplay elitists
2. Die hard fans of a certain anime
3. Frequent con goers (the younger ones tend to be drama whores, ty La Ahna)
4. People who compare different cons, ie anime, electronic, sci-fi

When I come up with more I'll edit  
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 12:16 pm
The Lone Wolf Jedi
My only advice is try to get a feel for the kind of people who cause it and avoid them entirely, here are some I've noticed:

1. Cosplay elitists
2. Die hard fans of a certain anime
3. Frequent con goers

When I come up with more I'll edit

I can understand how some frequent con goers are drama-addicts, but most of the ones I know that hit EVERY con in the area are actually pretty good, calm people... Then again, they're all from the higher age group. Maybe avoid the younger frequenters? They do tend to be on the elitist side.

La Ahna

6,800 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Glacirus

5,500 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 12:38 pm
Chrysanthemum Valentine
Saint of Swords _SoS
Turn around, walk away.

Agreed.

Agreed as well.

It hasn't happened at a con yet, but one of my friends can be a drama magnet for other events. At times when it happens, unless she NEEDS all the help she can get, the majority of us head off to salvage as much fun from the event as we can.

For cons, I suggest to stay in as small a group as possible. Larger numbers means higher probability someone is gonna cause a problem. And never, NEVER NE-VAHR antagonize security/officials running the con. Or you will be in for some trouble, FOLLOWED by drama of whiny friend who caused the problem bitching about it.  
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 4:12 pm
I thought I'd comment that this will be a very good topic for me to turn to. I'm dragging a baker's dozen of people with me to a convention in October, and some of them dun get along entirely. XD;
I plan on telling them all that we all came to have fun, and if anyone plans on spoiling that or having it be a side effect of their actions, they dun get to come.
Basically, I haven't come across direct drama yet, but I have a plan on how to deal wif it if I do. :3  

chobits_chii123

No_Pun_Intended

Alien Werewolf

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 3:44 pm
If the character you're cosplaying is a total jerk and you're acting in character, make sure people realize that you're in character and you don't really act like that. ^^  
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 4:07 pm
La Ahna
Maybe avoid the younger frequenters? They do tend to be on the elitist side.

This.
Although not all younger congoers are...
Make sure you know the person. These kind of youngins are pretty easy to spot.

Cyanide Joyride

Woven Red

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 8:06 am
Make sure that if you're staying at a separate hotel from where the con is (because the con hotel got full or is too expensive) that your roomies all have their cell phones on them. My friend gave hers to me since her costume had no pockets, which wasn't a problem until some dude we met up with at the con offended her and she ran off upset. We couldn't find her for an hour!

Also, don't bring someone who is "kinda" into conventions, or only came because they like one anime, like "Bleach" (nothing against Bleach) because one of the other girls I brought with me texted the whole time and glared at me like it was all my fault that she wanted to come  
Convention Experiences & Running Panels/Conventions Info

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff