Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
I'm making a homemade ouija board... Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

MoonStone Harmony

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 7:23 pm
I can't stand not being able to communicate with spirit since I don't have the right "Equipment" so I'm resorting to making my own ouija board so I can obey my craving to talk to my uncle again...

Anyway,
I would like to use the ouija board with some of my friends, but since they like to fool around, I can't trust them with letting the spirits guide the glass piece. I think they might guide it thereselves trying to trick me or mess with my head. But I'm afraid to play ouija alone.
Should I be afraid? :/

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 8:50 pm
What are you afraid of?

I'm also curious. What are you using to finish the board?  

Brass Bell Doll

3,750 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 9:08 pm
I have to ask...why do you feel you need "equipment" to talk to spirits? If they want to talk to you, they certainly will, "equipment" or no wink .

I wonder too, what you are afraid of. I also wonder if it is actually a good idea to talk to spirits if you are fearful.  
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 8:01 am
I understand your fear. I do not trust ouija boards one bit. My friends did something with cards, with out me stare , and they said the got some malevolent spirit. And the spirit hid the 7 of Hearts from them. I wish they would have told me they were going to do this, I would have been there to help.

But yea, I will never touch a ouija board.

Aakosir

Dangerous Businesswoman

7,600 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Brass Bell Doll

3,750 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 8:39 am
Violet Song jat Shariff
I have to ask...why do you feel you need "equipment" to talk to spirits? If they want to talk to you, they certainly will, "equipment" or no wink .

I think perhaps this might not be a matter of the spirits and their ability to talk to someone, but the ability of who they are talking to being able to listen.

Aakosir
I understand your fear. I do not trust ouija boards one bit.
-

May I ask why this is?  
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 1:43 pm
Personally, I think ouija boards are the least reliable way of communication. The kinds of spirits they attract aren't so much spirits as prankster entities. I've never seen a ouija board actually used by a relative. They attract the wrong kind of thing and it doesn't usually matter what kind of barriers you might set up around them. Once the entity has decided to stick with it, they'll stay there.

For instance, when I purchased my first board, a rather mischievous little p***k that had been living in my house got to it first and whenever we spoke to someone, no matter the name the board gave us, it was always this one thing speaking to us and giving us false information. My board wasn't the only board I saw with this issue. Many friends had them and they were all the same thing. Different entities, but all of them the same one, telling them horrific events were awaiting them in the future. Of course, I'd always call them out on this and now I can't use the boards at all.

But that aside...yeah, it's not likely it'll be your uncle you're talking to, even though you make the board yourself. There are better ways. Try lucid dreaming even. Sometimes if you meditate and concentrate on who you want to speak to it'll help them get through to you or help you recognize little signs or messages that they've likely been sending your way the whole time. A ouija board isn't really going to do you any good.  

oOGarrettOo

Greedy Conversationalist

Brass Bell Doll

3,750 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 3:24 pm
oOGarrettOo
Personally, I think ouija boards are the least reliable way of communication. The kinds of spirits they attract aren't so much spirits as prankster entities.

I'm sorry, but I'm not following. Could you explain why you feel this way?

oOGarrettOo
They attract the wrong kind of thing and it doesn't usually matter what kind of barriers you might set up around them. Once the entity has decided to stick with it, they'll stay there.

May I ask what you have been doing to create shields? Are you placing the shields around the board, the planchette, the people using it or all of the above?

oOGarrettOo
For instance, when I purchased my first board, a rather mischievous little p***k that had been living in my house got to it first and whenever we spoke to someone, no matter the name the board gave us, it was always this one thing speaking to us and giving us false information.
Were other people using the board with you?

oOGarrettOo
My board wasn't the only board I saw with this issue. Many friends had them and they were all the same thing. Different entities, but all of them the same one, telling them horrific events were awaiting them in the future. Of course, I'd always call them out on this and now I can't use the boards at all.
Is it possible that your friends were playing a joke on you?

oOGarrettOo
But that aside...yeah, it's not likely it'll be your uncle you're talking to, even though you make the board yourself.

What is it about the board that leads you to this conclusion?  
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 5:19 pm
As you were, I was

What it is:
Ouija Board, sometimes called a Spirit Board or a Talking Board. It's a board with an alphabet printed on it to allow whatever spirits believed to communicate with it to dictate their messages. It uses a small instrument called a Planchette that the human participants use to channel the spirit's words onto the board.

Why it's bullshit:
The board functions on a mental process called an Ideomotor Effect which refers to the influence of suggestion or expectation on involuntary and unconscious motor behavior. The movement of pointers on Ouija boards, of a facilitator's hands in facilitated communication, of hands and arms in applied Kinesiology, and of some behaviors attributed to hypnotic suggestion, are due to ideomotor action. When several participants are pushing on the planchette at once, the force applied to it is jumbled, and since they are not instructed to observe or control the delicate output of their force on the planchette, it can be subject to sudden and somewhat odd movements, which to a kid playing the game, are percieved to be spooky spirits trying to say hello by pointing to the letters. In reality, the choices of the letters are somewhat random, and another mental process called pareidolia comes into play, making the players think the random letter suggestions actually mean something mystical and meaningful.

Example: In 2000, a blind study of 10 random calls using a Ouija board were recorded with a small pivot over the planchette, allowing the users to visually observe which direction the applied force was coming from. The planchette was moved by the force of the players pushing upon it, as the pivot moved according to the almost random nudges several players were pushing upon it.

Conclusion:
The board, letters, planchette, and method of using it are all components of a clever, entertaining, but entirely explainable parlor game played for centuries and sold to children ages 6 and up by Milton Bradley.

More information.

Tl;dr: Ouija boards are bullshit.

Further proof:
{Penn&Teller: Bullshit Ouija Board Episode part 1}
Penn&Teller: Bullshit Ouija Board Episode part 2}

As I am, you will be

Calelith

Apocalyptic Rogue

41,915 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Abomination 100
  • Demonic Associate 100

Brass Bell Doll

3,750 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 6:49 pm
Calelith, are you implying that the only means by which a board can work is through random movements and that there can be no spiritual guiding force behind it?  
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 8:44 pm
Brass Bell Doll
Violet Song jat Shariff

I think perhaps this might not be a matter of the spirits and their ability to talk to someone, but the ability of who they are talking to being able to listen.

Aakosir
I understand your fear. I do not trust ouija boards one bit.
-

May I ask why this is?

I guess it is superstitions for me, but I have heard bad things about them. I like my soul right where it is, thank you. I don't believe it will steal my soul, just added that for drama. But I do not like the thought of finding a malevolent spirit.  

Aakosir

Dangerous Businesswoman

7,600 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

oOGarrettOo

Greedy Conversationalist

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 1:16 am
Brass Bell Doll
oOGarrettOo
Personally, I think ouija boards are the least reliable way of communication. The kinds of spirits they attract aren't so much spirits as prankster entities.

I'm sorry, but I'm not following. Could you explain why you feel this way?

oOGarrettOo
They attract the wrong kind of thing and it doesn't usually matter what kind of barriers you might set up around them. Once the entity has decided to stick with it, they'll stay there.

May I ask what you have been doing to create shields? Are you placing the shields around the board, the planchette, the people using it or all of the above?

oOGarrettOo
For instance, when I purchased my first board, a rather mischievous little p***k that had been living in my house got to it first and whenever we spoke to someone, no matter the name the board gave us, it was always this one thing speaking to us and giving us false information.
Were other people using the board with you?

oOGarrettOo
My board wasn't the only board I saw with this issue. Many friends had them and they were all the same thing. Different entities, but all of them the same one, telling them horrific events were awaiting them in the future. Of course, I'd always call them out on this and now I can't use the boards at all.
Is it possible that your friends were playing a joke on you?

oOGarrettOo
But that aside...yeah, it's not likely it'll be your uncle you're talking to, even though you make the board yourself.

What is it about the board that leads you to this conclusion?
I can sum it all up in one sentence:
Because I'm a medium and can see what we're talking to.  
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 2:03 am
Home-made things work better. And playing with what you don't understand always has some degree of danger. remember that.
Using a ouija board will most likely call the closest entity, be it friendly or not. Or, you won't call anything and be sitting there holding the glass all night feeling stupid.
I've never tried a ouija board. But me and my brother did try summoning a spirit when we were little. Like, little little. Strange kids, we were.  

mechanical kitsy
Crew

Brass Bell Doll

3,750 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 9:02 am
Aakosir
I guess it is superstitions for me, but I have heard bad things about them. I like my soul right where it is, thank you. I don't believe it will steal my soul, just added that for drama. But I do not like the thought of finding a malevolent spirit.

Would you say it is fair to state that your opinion is based on hearsay and popular attitudes towards them?

oOGarrettOo
I can sum it all up in one sentence:
Because I'm a medium and can see what we're talking to.
I do not feel this addresses my questions.
Being a medium wouldn't necessarily mean that certain spirits are attracted to Talking Boards over any other form of divination nor does it address the questions I have about how the shields are being constructed.

Being a Medium does not address the role others may have played in the use of the board, any errors in perception someone may have experienced or the role that expectations play in interpreting the experience.

Being a Medium wouldn't ensure that her uncle isn't speaking to her, that her experiences could differ from others. It also would not negate the possibility that what you are experiencing is a manifestation of your friend's intentions, rather than an actual spirit.

xXx kitsy xXx
Home-made things work better.
At times, yes. In this case, it can work as a disadvantage if the board itself isn't constructed properly. The key is ensuring the planchette can move across the board with ease.

xXx kitsy xXx
Using a ouija board will most likely call the closest entity, be it friendly or not.

May I ask why you feel this is the case?  
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 9:52 am
Brass Bell Doll
Calelith, are you implying that the only means by which a board can work is through random movements and that there can be no spiritual guiding force behind it?
As you were, I was

Pretty much, just watch the video links. Ideomotor Effect is why it works the way it does.

If anything, a Ouija/Spirit board is good for divination, looking inside yourself to find the answers you seek, not to communicate with spirits/demons.

Edit:
Homemade doesn't make it any better. It's just a piece of paper (or word) with numbers, letters, yes, and no placed on it with a piece of paper/plastic/wood to move around the 'board.'

Either way the boards are copyrighted by a Board Game company as is the name. Do you really think if the boards could open up a gateway to another dimension, they would be mass produced by the same people that make Monopoly?

As I am, you will be

Calelith

Apocalyptic Rogue

41,915 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Abomination 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games