Welcome to Gaia! ::

Japanese Academy

Back to Guilds

A virtual classroom where beginners can learn to read and write Japanese. New students welcome! 

Tags: Japanese, Academy, Japan, Learn, School 

Reply Japanese Vocabulary and Grammar Lessons
JAPANESE Lesson Three - The Family Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Starry Starry Fright
Captain

Quotable Lunatic

8,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 3:39 pm
So you made it to lesson three... now you must learn how to talk about your family members!

Keep in mind that there is a set of words for your own family and a set of words for someone else's family.

We will begin with your own family.

Mom - haha - HAHA

Dad - chichi - CHEE CHEE

Older Brother - Ani - AH KNEE

Older Sister - Ane - AHH NAY

Younger Brother - Otouto - OH TOETOE

Younger Sister - Imouto - EEE MOW TOE

Grandma - Sobo - SO BOW

Grandpa - Sofu - SO FOO

For now, we will just be covering these basic family members. You will learn how to talk about more of your extended family in later lessons.

When referring to someone else's family, use these terms:

Mother - Okaasan - OH KAAA SAN

Father - Otousan - OH TOOE SAN

Older Brother - Oniisan - OH KNEEE SAN

Older Sister - Oneesan - OH NAAAY SAN

Younger Brother - Otoutosan - OH TOTOSAN

Younger Sister - Imoutosan - EEE MOWTOESAN

Grandfather - Ojiisan - OH GEE SAN

Grandmother - Obaasan - OH BAA SAN

Now, those of you who watch anime might recognize some of these terms. The terms "obaasan" and "ojiisan" can be used on any elderly person as a term of respect. If you are speaking to an elderly person whose name you don't know, you can call them ojiisan or obaasan.

Likewise, the terms for older brother and sister can be applied to an older peer you look up to. In a lot of anime, you will see the main character referring to their slightly mentor or role model as "oneesan/oneechan". It is a term of familiarity and respect. It can ONLY be used this way on someone who has offered you some sort of guidance and on someone who is only slightly older than you are.

Additionally, changing "oneesan" to the less formal "oneechan" is something you would only do if you knew the person very well. If you know your friend's older brother very well, you could call him "oniichan". If you don't know him well enough, it could be seen as disrespectful.

These labels are necessary in Japanese because people typically refer to each other by their family names, not given names. If you refer to somebody as "Tsukushi-san" in the Tsukushi house, you have just addressed the entire family. Well done.

A few family-related bonus words for you:

family - kazoku - KA ZO KU

parents - ryoushin - REEOO SHEEN

sibling - kyoudai - KEEOO DIE

cousin - itoko - EE TOE KO

Questions? Comments? Post them for me. Even if you have none, leave a post that says you read and understood this lesson. Happy learning!

Click here to return to lesson two.

Click here to go on to lesson four.  
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 10:00 pm
Guild renos require that I bump this.  

Starry Starry Fright
Captain

Quotable Lunatic

8,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250

x-Meoi-x

Angelic Lover

7,700 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 12:08 am
watashi no kazoku wa mama to chichi (ryoshin),futatsu ane-san soshite watashi to watashi no inu o motteru yo
was it right?  
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 8:01 pm
this helped clarify things for me smile i always thought that Oneesan and such were for your own family, and i'd always get confused when animes used words like imouto.  

Swim47

9,050 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Generous 100

Kuronuma Sadako

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 1:45 am
What about the words -sama and -kun that are also sometimes added? Like oniisama or Leekun (Lee being the name).  
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 5:07 pm
Kuronuma Sadako
What about the words -sama and -kun that are also sometimes added? Like oniisama or Leekun (Lee being the name).

I think I need to do a lesson on that....  

Starry Starry Fright
Captain

Quotable Lunatic

8,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250

Asano Wakana

Distinct Phantom

8,250 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hive Mind 200
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 12:31 am
Watashi no ryoushin wa Mama to Papa (that's what I call them), soshite watashi no ane no namae wa Mai desu.  
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 4:41 pm
Sakuraoka Yuka
Watashi no ryoushin wa Mama to Papa (that's what I call them), soshite watashi no ane no namae wa Mai desu.

This is technically correct, but it would sound very broken to a native Japanese speaker. "Mama" and "Papa" are not terms that real Japanese people use, since they don't match up with the father and mother kanji.

Japanese is a very efficient language. They do not like having to say more than they have to, so a great deal of things are implied. Saying "watashi no ryoushin wa chichi to haha desu." is very redundant. In English, it would be like saying "my mom and dad are my mom and dad." It would be batter for you to list all of your family members, and then mention your sister's name.  

Starry Starry Fright
Captain

Quotable Lunatic

8,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250

x Falsi

Shameless Ladykiller

8,450 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 5:33 pm
Wakatteru. heart  
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 8:00 am
Am I gonna write a sentence or not or it's up to me??
Oh well, at least I understand!!>.<  

Fratalizite

Fashionable Shopper

LadyDerethia

5,700 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:06 pm
I've thought that terms Okaasan and Otousan were used as own family (like in the movie Spirited Away, for example). But now I understand. ;D  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:00 pm
i have a question, ive been watching this anime where the main character calls his older brother nichan. is that another way to say older brother or is he using a nickname?  

hisoka-kaminalover12

x the abyss of dreams

6,600 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:25 pm
<3

I think I understand, but why do, in some anime, the characters call their own family things like Okaasan, or Oniisan (mainly thinking back to Cardcaptor Sakura)?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:39 pm
I understand biggrin  

xXSakura-chanxX67

x-AkaruiKijo-x

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:21 pm
Thank you^^
Oh but i do have one question.When your referring to your own family,can you also put -san after it or is it just for someone else's family?

Japanese Vocabulary and Grammar Lessons

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff