Welcome to Gaia! ::

Japanese Academy

Back to Guilds

A virtual classroom where beginners can learn to read and write Japanese. New students welcome! 

Tags: Japanese, Academy, Japan, Learn, School 

Reply Japanese Vocabulary and Grammar Lessons
JAPANESE Lesson Five - Professions Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Starry Starry Fright
Captain

Quotable Lunatic

8,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 4:17 pm
It's a fact of life that most people need to work. Now it's time to learn about jobs in Japanese.

You've already learned about telling people your grade, but if you are explaining that "student" is your profession, the words are slightly different.

College Student - gakusei

Non-College Student - seito

Of course, there are paid professions as well. Let's look at a few of those.

doctor - isha, or if you want to be polite, oishasan.

lawyer - bengoshi

teacher - sensei

company employee - kaishain. This refers to anyone who works at a desk-type job for a large company. CULTURE NOTE - it is typical for wives and children to have no idea what their husband/father actually does, or what department he works in. Work is not something usually discussed at home.

engineer - enjinia (this is written in katakana, NOT hiragana, for those of you who are learning to write)

housewife - shufu

These are the most common and/or respected Japanese professions, and they are the only ones I will make you learn for now.

The Japanese word for job is shigoto, or oshigoto in polite conversation (in a job interview, you would definitely use oshigoto. Polite versions of words are always used when you want something.)

Now that you know some basic jobs, you have all the information you need to make an even better self-introduction!

Hajimemashite! Watashi no namae wa Starry Starry Fright desu. Jyuu nana sai desu. Gakusei desu. Daigaku ichi nen sei desu. Watashi no kazoku wa haha to chichi to otouto to otouto to watashi desu. Haha wa shufu desu. Chichi wa kaishain desu. Douzo yoroshiku!

Or, in English:

Nice to meet you! I'm Starry Starry Fright. I'm 17. I am a University student. I am in my first year of University. My family is made up of my mom, my dad, my two younger brothers and me. Mom is a housewife. Dad works for a big company. Nice to meet you!

Now let's see all of you try.

Click here to return to lesson four.  
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 12:15 am
Watashi wa 95Neko-chan95 desu.jyuu yon sai. koukou no ni nen sei desu. watshi no kazoku wa mama, papa, futatsu ane, watashi to watashitachi no inu desu.ryoushin no oshigotou wakaranai yo ^^'. Douzo yoroshiku♥  

x-Meoi-x

Angelic Lover

7,700 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Millionaire 200

Starry Starry Fright
Captain

Quotable Lunatic

8,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 11:22 am
95Neko-chan95
Watashi wa 95Neko-chan95 desu.jyuu yon sai. koukou no ni nen sei desu. watshi no kazoku wa mama, papa, futatsu ane, watashi to watashitachi no inu desu.ryoushin no oshigotou wakaranai yo ^^'. Douzo yoroshiku♥

I can see that you already know some Japanese. Well done!  
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 6:06 am
Starry Starry Fright
95Neko-chan95

I can see that you already know some Japanese. Well done!

only a bit... ^^'  

x-Meoi-x

Angelic Lover

7,700 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Millionaire 200

Kuronuma Sadako

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 2:28 am
Hajimemashite! Watashi wa kami desu. (kidding!) Watashi no namae wa Kuronuma desu. Ni jyuu sai desu. Gakusei. Daigaku ni nen sei desu. Watashi no kazoku wa chichi to haha to ani to otouto to watashi desu. Haha wa shufu desu. Chichi wa kaishain desu. Kyoudai wa gakusei iie shigoto. Douzo yoroshiku!

Is this right? rofl
Does "to" means "and"?
What does "no" and "wakaranai yo" mean? xd  
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 5:04 pm
Kuronuma Sadako
Hajimemashite! Watashi wa kami desu. (kidding!) Watashi no namae wa Kuronuma desu. Ni jyuu sai desu. Gakusei. Daigaku ni nen sei desu. Watashi no kazoku wa chichi to haha to ani to otouto to watashi desu. Haha wa shufu desu. Chichi wa kaishain desu. Kyoudai wa gakusei iie shigoto. Douzo yoroshiku!

Is this right? rofl
Does "to" means "and"?

This is mostly correct, yes. There shuld be a "desu" after gakusei - gakusei desu. It was my error in the original lesson. I apologize, it is fixed now.

"Kyoudai wa gakusei iie shigoto" - I assume you are trying to say "My siblings are university students and do not work". It's not quite correct. You could say "Kyoudai wa gakusei desu, demo kyoudai wa kubi desu. "demo" means "although" or "but" and "kubi" means "unemployed".

Japanese paritcles are difficult to explain... in some situations, "to" means "and". When listing family members, use "to". I will explain more about this in a later lesson.

"No" is the particle for possesion. If something belongs to you, it is "watashi no". Wakaranai yo means "to not know"... in this case, to not know what your parents do for a living.  

Starry Starry Fright
Captain

Quotable Lunatic

8,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250

Kuronuma Sadako

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 1:46 am
Starry Starry Fright
Kuronuma Sadako

Is this right? rofl
Does "to" means "and"?

This is mostly correct, yes. There shuld be a "desu" after gakusei - gakusei desu. It was my error in the original lesson. I apologize, it is fixed now.

"Kyoudai wa gakusei iie shigoto" - I assume you are trying to say "My siblings are university students and do not work". It's not quite correct. You could say "Kyoudai wa gakusei desu, demo kyoudai wa kubi desu. "demo" means "although" or "but" and "kubi" means "unemployed".

Japanese paritcles are difficult to explain... in some situations, "to" means "and". When listing family members, use "to". I will explain more about this in a later lesson.

"No" is the particle for possesion. If something belongs to you, it is "watashi no". Wakaranai yo means "to not know"... in this case, to not know what your parents do for a living.

Ooh arigato! Wakarimashita heart  
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 8:39 pm
Hajimemashite! Watashi no namae wa Swim47 desu. Watashi no kazoku wa haha to chichi to watashi desu. Chichi wa bengoshi desu. Douzo yoroshiku!

English:

Nice to meet you! I'm Swim 47. My family is made up of my mom, dad, and me. My dad is a lawyer. Nice to meet you!

Is this right? :O  

Swim47

9,050 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Generous 100

Asano Wakana

Distinct Phantom

8,250 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hive Mind 200
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 11:49 pm
Hajimemashite! Watashi no namae wa Sakuraoka Yuka desu. Seito desu. Chuugaku san nen sei desu. Watashi no kazoku wa haha to chichi to ane to watashi desu. Haha wa shufu desu. Chichi wa kaishain desu. Douzo yoroshiku!  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:43 pm
<3

Hajimemashite! Watashi no namae wa Abyss desu. Jyuu san sai desu. Chuugaku ni nen sei desu. Watashi no kazoku wa haha to chichi to ani to watashi desu. Haha wa shufu. Chichi wa kaishain.

Yaaayyy!! X3

x the abyss of dreams

6,600 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Invisibility 100

Starry Starry Fright
Captain

Quotable Lunatic

8,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:08 am
x the abyss of dreams
<3

Hajimemashite! Watashi no namae wa Abyss desu. Jyuu san sai desu. Chuugaku ni sei desu. Watashi no kazoku wa haha to chichi to ani to watashi desu. Haha wo shufu. Chichi wo kaishain.

Yaaayyy!! X3

You're very close! Those last sentences should be

haha wa shufu desu.

and

chichi wa kaishain desu.

"wa" indicates that something is the topic of the sentence.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:17 pm
Starry Starry Fright
x the abyss of dreams
<3

Hajimemashite! Watashi no namae wa Abyss desu. Jyuu san sai desu. Chuugaku ni sei desu. Watashi no kazoku wa haha to chichi to ani to watashi desu. Haha wo shufu. Chichi wo kaishain.

Yaaayyy!! X3

You're very close! Those last sentences should be

haha wa shufu desu.

and

chichi wa kaishain desu.

"wa" indicates that something is the topic of the sentence.

Okies. =]  

x the abyss of dreams

6,600 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Invisibility 100

x-AkaruiKijo-x

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:57 pm
Hajimemashite!
Watashi no namae wa xSaphire-Chanx desu.Jyuu Go sai desu. Seito desu.Koukou ichi nen desu.Watashi no kazoku wa chichi to sofu to watashi desu.Chichi wa Kaishain desu.Douzo Yoroskiku.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:30 pm
xSaphire-Chanx
Hajimemashite!
Watashi no namae wa xSaphire-Chanx desu.Jyuu Go sai desu. Seito desu.Koukou ichi nen desu.Watashi no kazoku wa chichi to sofu to watashi desu.Chichi wa Kaishain desu.Douzo Yoroskiku.

Just one little mistake! That should read "koukou ichi nen SEI desu.  

Starry Starry Fright
Captain

Quotable Lunatic

8,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250

x-AkaruiKijo-x

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:44 pm
Starry Starry Fright
xSaphire-Chanx
Hajimemashite!

Just one little mistake! That should read "koukou ichi nen SEI desu.

Aww man >.< Sorry bout that  
Japanese Vocabulary and Grammar Lessons

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces