Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Tutorials
Panda/Grizzly and Bammi/Hammi Hats - Knitting Patterns Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

gemini6184

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:46 pm
Materials:
US 10 and 7 straight knitting needles
Yarn needle
Size J crochet hook, comb (if desired), and small peice of cardboard(for Bammi and Hammi)

For Panda: 2 ounces worsted weight yarn in white, 1-2 ounces each black and pink
For Grizzly: 2-3 ounces dark brown, 1-2 ounces each light brown and black
For Bammi: 2-3 ounces dark grey, 1-2 ounces each white, black and red
For Hammi: 2-3 ounces tan, 1 ounce each white and black, 2 shiny 1/2-3/4 inch black "shank" buttons, black thread

Base Hat Pattern

Panda/Grizzly: Make above hat in white for panda, brown for grizzly. (Option: Use fair isle or intarsia method to work the charts for the faces while you knit.)

Work chart for faces in duplicate stitch. (Chart for Panda) (Chart for Grizzly) Note: Gray = black

Chart placement (for both intarsia option and duplicate stitch):
Panda: 20 rows up from ribbing, 15 stitches in from seam.
Grizzly: 20 rows up from ribbing, 25 stitches in from seam.

Centering so they will face front, pick up and knit 18 stitches 3/4 of an inch from the top of the hat where you gathered the stitches off the needle with the smaller needles (black for panda, dark brown for grizzly). Work seed stitch for 2 rows, then cont. in seed stitch pat but K2tog at each end of every row until you are down to 4 stitches. BO in pat.

Make another ear on the other side of the hat, lined up with the first. Now repeat again in the rows next to the first set of ears (in front of or in back of original ears). Whip stitch ears together to make one set that stands up. Weave in ends.

Bammi/Hammi: Make above hat, doing the ribbing in white, then switch to gray for Bammi and tan for Hammi. (Option: Use fair isle or intarsia method to work Bammi face while you knit.)

For Bammi: Work chart for Bammi face in duplicate stitch <--- Note: Ignore all the white space in the bottom. sweatdrop Gray = black

Chart placement (for both intarsia option and duplicate stitch):
15 rows up from ribbing, 17 stitches in from seam.

For Hammi: Sew on buttons for eyes. Embrioder lines for nose and mouth with yarn and yarn needle.

Centering so they will face front, pick up and knit 12 stitches 3/4 of an inch from the top of the hat where you gathered the stitches off the needle with the smaller needles (tan for Hammi, grey for Bammi). Work seed stitch for 2 rows, then cont. in seed stitch pat but K2tog at each end of every OTHER row until you are down to 4 stitches. Next row: K2tog, work to end in seed stitch. Turn. K2tog, k1. Turn. K2tog, tie off.

Make another ear on the other side of the hat, lined up with the first. Now repeat again in the rows next to the first set of ears (in front of or in back of original ears). Whip stitch ears together to make one set that stands up. Weave in ends.

Take a small piece of cardbord and wrap appropriate yarn around 5-7 times. Cut from cardboard and fold in half. Insert crochet hook upside down in above a 'ladder' between rows inbetween ears about half an inch down from very top of hat, and bring it out right below same 'ladder'. Place center of folded tassel under hook of crochet hook, and pull it through. Remove hook and pull cut ends of tassel through loop and tighten tassel so that it sticks up. Trim so that its only about 1 to 1 1/2 inches tall. Use comb to tease yarn and make it fuzzy if desired.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:01 pm
gonk isnt anyone going to try them out?  

gemini6184

Merissa Hino

Mewling Muse

14,625 Points
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:51 pm
I am, eventually....  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:29 pm
I want to try it out, but school just got busy TT  

~neko neko kitty~

blue eyed angle

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 4:57 pm
o looks cool  
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 10:46 pm
I'm a beginner knitter and I'm currently trying to knit a scarf with 3mm needles ( gonk ).

But once I actually learn to follow a pattern a Bammi hat will be mine whee  

[Grendel]

gemini6184

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 2:45 pm
Thurston Moore
I'm a beginner knitter and I'm currently trying to knit a scarf with 3mm needles ( gonk ).

But once I actually learn to follow a pattern a Bammi hat will be mine whee
i think those are size 2 in US gonk god thats gotta be painful.

and the pattern is really easy, what helped me learn the 'language' of patterns was the abbreviations list on knitting.about.com 3nodding it had links to demonstrations etc, and i just spent an hour or so surfing through it  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:00 pm
I won't try it because I'm a failure in knitting... but who knows, in the future xd
Do you have photos of them? I wanna see 4laugh  

Julia Pegasus

Bashful Lunatic

GooGooDoll

3,900 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:09 pm
That sound fun, I might try and make a panda one for winter.
But I'm not the best at knitting.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:56 am
JuliaPegasus
I won't try it because I'm a failure in knitting... but who knows, in the future xd
Do you have photos of them? I wanna see 4laugh
I still havent had time to try them out myself, though I've made the basic hat pattern a dozen times over, some with and without adding cat ears sweatdrop that and I never wear hats in winter, I always get a headache from them due to bad sinuses.  

gemini6184

Kanhoro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:05 am
gemini6184
gonk isnt anyone going to try them out?
i admist that is is ery nce, but i am jsut too lazy for myself to do it and i am not that god with intersia.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:03 pm
They're gorgeous. smile I'd try them, but it's going into summer here. Maybe I'll adapt the panda pattern into a hand bag. smile  

Tiga Claw

150 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100

caffinated_tulip

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:10 pm
can you alter the pattern for crochet? Or do you know how to do such a thing? I'm working on crocheting and hoping to learn knitting eventually  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:15 pm
caffinated_tulip
can you alter the pattern for crochet? Or do you know how to do such a thing? I'm working on crocheting and hoping to learn knitting eventually
I think theres a site that can convert patterns between the two arts. sweatdrop i cant crochet to save my life im sorry

kanhoro: i said do duplicate stitch if you cant do intarsia whee i only just learned it

if anyone makes anything related to them please post pics! 4laugh  

gemini6184

Shrinkle

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:07 pm
Count me in!
I'll definately knit a panda one. It's soo cute! I just need to pick up some new yarn first.

Tutorials

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff