Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Miscellaneous Threads
Cosplay- Hairstyle priority Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

If you had to pick one! Color or Style?
  Style! make it spikey, wavy, curly, straight, up, down, in tails, to the side
  Color, it's more noticable (LIES) -_-
View Results

tattahitotsuyakusoku

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:42 pm
Okay, I personally think that Hairstyle is more important than Hair color. I'm not saying that you can't do both. This is just for when you don't have time/money/decision to do both. If a cosplayer has to pick between color and hairstyle, I think hairstyle should come first.

I've seen bad Konata from Lucky Star cosplays because of lack of hairstyle. Sure it's blue, but it's BAD! Same thing with Sakura from Naruto, pink hair but it doesn't look anything like her hair. Near from Death Note, sure it's white hair but why is the hairstyle weird? DX

I'm not saying that they're all bad, but really.... sometimes you have to use your time styling your hair instead of wasting time on trying to dye it. Again, this is for priorty decision only.
I'd rather see a good curl than spaztic colored hair...  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:13 pm
════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════
we're spιnnιng on a roller coasтer rιde; тнe world sтυcĸ ιn вlacĸ and wнιтe

User Image

I think I'd rather see the correct color and okay hair than great hair with the wrong color. But... then there's lots of things that come out of that. Like, there's some styles I wouldn't bear with people messing up... Sora, Cloud, Len, to name a few. Wrong color for all I care, but get the hair right.

ι вeg тo dreaм and dιғғer ғroм тнe нollow lιes; тнιѕ ιs тнe dawnιng oғ тнe resт oғ our lιves
on нolιday
════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.Hatch us? <333  

cuvier

Fashionable Gekko

6,300 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Maruul

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:05 pm
Keep in mind some characters are more recognizable by color than by style. Like, I cosplay Kantarou from Tactics. He has a fairly basic style, and his hair is white. It's not very well known as it is, and even though my hair looks about right, it's not white, so no one recognized me. So my friend gave me a white wig. The style was SO wrong, and it bothered me the whooole time, but the few people who knew the series recognized me. It all depends on the character.
Oh, and even with white hair, I STILL got called Kikyo. stressed  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:19 pm
But what about when the color is so terribly off that it's really upsetting to see? I think their should be no excuse for not having proper hair in all ways.

Style is of course usually more recognizable but if its a simple cut then try to get as close to color as possible. And if your being someone that has blue hair and your using your natural brown, it's just in the right style, people are going to hate you or mock you. Just saying.  

burgawinosourus

Toothsome Phantom

Hoshi no Miko

Distinct Member

5,150 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:20 am
I am going to have to go with style for my choice... of course, my opinion is a little biased right now, as I am choosing style over colour for a cosplay I am going to be wearing. The character I am dressing up as (actually you can see him in my signature) has a light brown, almost dirty blond hair colour, I on the other hand, am more of a dark brown. I don't really have the time to get a wig, and I refuse to dye my hair (as I am planning on donating it for cancer patients) So for me it's style or nothing. I am just hoping that it's not TOO off for most people, I mean it's still a shade of brown, it shouldn't be THAT upsetting.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:42 am
I think style is more important, unless your color is way off.

Zeroye

tokkitoria

Brainy Bunny

11,550 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:23 pm
Honestly, I think it would depend on the cosplay. In most cases I would say Colour > Style. But there are some, say Sora or Kenpachi, where the style is important because it's so prominent.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:47 pm
I don't really get why you would have a wig of an entirely different colour. If you're going to be a character, you're going to make sure your wig is at least a similar colour.
However, sometimes the style can be crucial to the character. It really all depends on the character. In some cases, you can probably get away with a more realistic look with a light brown wig for a blonde (or yellow haired) character.

Spartan1024

Zombeficent

Hygienic Lover

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:32 pm
Unfortunately I do think color takes over style in most cases. Even if the style was completely PERFECT, I would hate a Princess Peach with platinum blonde hair. It doesn't look right and is extremely distracting.

And honestly, with complex characters, most people don't get the hair style right anyway because it's just too gravity-defying. Aside from this one SUPER OMG AMAZING cosplay I saw of Jesse from Team Rocket (they used chicken wire to hold that crap up), most people just use a straight reddish-pink wig and people still know who it is.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:36 pm
I think it depends on the circumstances. If a character originally has an epic hairstyle, don't worry about the color as much as the style. But if another character has pink hair with lime green stripes and yours just doesn't wanna go for the style? Dye it pink with lime green stripes. D:
I guess all-in-all, they're both equally important. 50-50.
Although, 50% was never a passing grade.. :/

chobits_chii123

Glacirus

5,500 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:11 pm
100% circumstantial.

For example:

If I were to see an Aisen cosplay with black hair, done perfectly, I would let it slide.

BUT

If I were to see a Mukuro cosplay with the blue tint to the hair, with a fail attempt at the pineapple-esque hairstyle he is known for... I would cry.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:01 am
I think color is most important since a lot of charaters are known by their hair color. I think if you're not going to go to
the trouble to get a wig even if it's a bad one, you should just do a charater that you have the hair color of or are willing to dye it for. the wig and color don't have to be perfect, but at least somewhat close to the right color. I'm pretty good at styling crappy wigs to get them to do what I want.  

Hotaru230

Zorachu3_Sendo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:40 pm
I believe it's a toss up. Sometimes it's better to have the correct style and sometimes it's better to have the correct color. I was Kanna from Inuyasha, my hair style wasn't very close and the color was just horrible, but people still knew who I was.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:44 pm
I think your hair style is more important the hair color because its the way you style your hair that gets people's attention. I mean sure you can color your hair too but if you have a terrible hair style then its no point. Thats my opinion.  

asiangurlxxx

5,200 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Generous 100

tattahitotsuyakusoku

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:11 pm
thanks for all the opinions ^w^ i do believe if it's just a loose style that color is more important but to me i would say about 80% of the time hairstyle is more important  
Miscellaneous Threads

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff