Welcome to Gaia! ::

Japanese Academy

Back to Guilds

A virtual classroom where beginners can learn to read and write Japanese. New students welcome! 

Tags: Japanese, Academy, Japan, Learn, School 

Reply Japanese Vocabulary and Grammar Lessons
JAPANESE Lesson Nine - Useful Expressions Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Starry Starry Fright
Captain

Quotable Lunatic

8,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:37 pm
Hello my students. So far, you've learned Japanese expressions that can be used in very specific situations. This lesson will begin to cover more general, useful expressions.

anou/eeto - These are the Japanese equivalents of "um". You would say them to show hesitation before saying something, usually if you're speaking to somebody you don't know too well. You don't want to come across as too blunt or aggressive.

sumimasen - This means "excuse me" and it is said when you want to get somebody's attention.

If you are trying to get a stranger's attention, the expression "anou... sumimasen" would be appropriate.

sugoi - this expression is used to convey a feeling of surprise or excitement. It is a very common saying and always has a positive connotation. For example, you might say this after hearing some good news.

sou desu ka? - This translates to "is that so?". This expression is very commonly used in conversation the same way that we use it in English - it indicates that you are listening and interested in what a person is saying to you. Be aware, however, that saying this with too much emphasis can be taken as sarcasm.

hai - Many of you already know this expression. It simply means "yes".

iie - Most of you probably know this one as well. It means "no". Be very careful to stretch out the "i" sound; "ie" means "house".

uso uso - In the Japanese culture, it is very important to be humble. In fact, many people have no problem pointing out when someone is not being humble; this expression is used when you know someone is exaggerating. It means "lie, lie" and is generally accompanied by a hand motion (curl your fingers into a fist, outstretch them and repeat. It's meant to signify a small accomplishment getting better with retelling.).

onegai shimasu - OH NAY GUY SHE MAWSS - This expression means "please do it" and is used when you are asking someone for something. You can say it even after they have agreed to help you.

iie, sore hodo demo - In keeping with the "uso uso" expression above, this phrase is used when you are being praised. It means "No, not that good". Remember that accepting praise eagerly makes you look cocky.

o-ikura desu ka - This translates to "How much is it" and can be used to ask the price of just about anything. I say "almost anything" because a friend of mine once used it to ask a Japanese friend of ours how much it would cost for a night of loving. Do not use it to ask for the price of sexual favors. Apparently it doesn't work like that.

kudasai - another way to say "please". Rather than saying it after someone has agreed to help you, it is said in the question itself.

douzo agate kudasai - used to usher somebody into your home. It means "please come in", with "kudasai" meaning "please", "douzo" also meaning "please" and "agate" meaning "come in".

These are only the first of many useful expressions out there, but I urge you to memorize these - they are a solid foundation to Japanese conversation.

As always, if you have any questions about the material, please post a question for me here.

Benkyou shimasu!  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:06 pm
hey I know some of these lessons. biggrin  

ShiroXMomo Hinamori

Il Bambino
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:36 am
I like this lesson. smile

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:55 pm
anou...arigato!!! >.<  

Swim47

9,050 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Generous 100

xXSakura-chanxX67

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:15 pm
"I'm stronger than before.."

User Image

Wakarimus. (Is that how you say I understand?)

-Sakura-chan

User Image

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:31 pm
I know some of these. This is what happens when you used to watch anime 24/7 last year and '08.

I like this lesson.  

this little secret

Starry Starry Fright
Captain

Quotable Lunatic

8,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:55 pm
xXSakura-chanxX67
"I'm stronger than before.."

User Image

Wakarimus. (Is that how you say I understand?)

-Sakura-chan

User Image

Um, kinda. "wakarimasu" is the present tense... it means "to understand". You could also use "wakarimashita" - it's past tense and means "understood".

There's a lesson on this posted somewhere.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:15 am
Arigato^^  

x-AkaruiKijo-x

Rihanna Bae

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:10 pm
Trying my best  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:17 pm
Sumimasen can mean, "Excuse me," "I'm sorry," or "Thank you."  

blasted by bubbles

Nana Shinu Ai

7,200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:08 pm
Wakarimashita Sensei. Arigato  
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 1:37 pm
wakarimashita sensei. Ariagatou. I wonder how do we say this really means so much to me in Japanese?  

Nana Shinu Ai

7,200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Signature Look 250

LittleMissNihilist

7,150 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:35 am
Wakarimashita heart