Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Handmade BoS? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Dellanora

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:42 pm
so i've decided to make my Book of Shadows by hand, which is something i've been debating about for a while. Now that i've decided this, im not really too sure how to go about doing this..im just not sure where to start. I know i want to stain every page but does anyone have tips and stuff? like how to bind the cover or what type of tea i should stain the pages with, ideas for the front cover, stuff like that. any help or input would be greatly appreciated smile

and have any of you made your own Book of Shadows?  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:47 pm
Are you going to make the paper by hand?  

Brass Bell Doll

3,750 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Yanueh

Shameless Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:30 am
Get a three-ring binder, some paper, and fill it with information you find relevant. Alternatively, get a USB drive and fill it with text and pictures you find relevant.

Staining the paper strikes me as a waste of time and resources.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:29 pm
Well yeah, it might be a waste of time, but if the end result makes her happy, then why not?
I mean, gaia's a HUGE waste of time (and resources!). Plenty of things I could do better than be on gaia..  

kage no neko

Invisible Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

Brass Bell Doll

3,750 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:14 am
Yanueh
Get a three-ring binder, some paper, and fill it with information you find relevant. Alternatively, get a USB drive and fill it with text and pictures you find relevant.

Staining the paper strikes me as a waste of time and resources.

I have seen some lovely books made using wood and hinges. The hinges act as binder rings by using long bolts to secure the front and back covers.

kage no neko
Well yeah, it might be a waste of time, but if the end result makes her happy, then why not?

A very good point.

When I put together my book, I collected all the things I wanted in it, making a list of sources.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:15 am
Yanueh
Get a three-ring binder, some paper, and fill it with information you find relevant.

thats how im doing mine and its working out great  

inuyashahoty22

MercyWild

Blessed Seeker

7,475 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:30 am
For staining the pages I would suggest a black tea, something like English breakfast tea.

As for binding it there is a good set of instructions here. It is for making a hard cover book.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:07 am
When and if I get closer to initiation, I plan to make one myself.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

citrusrose

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:45 pm
my BOS is handmade mostly, I took a three ring binder and took spray glue sprayed it on the out side of the binder and then put a nice dark green fabric on it and then sprayed th glue inside and glued down the fabric there too. then I took sketch paper and punched holes in them placed them in the binder and took a pen and started writing.

me and my husband plan to make a joined BOS smae style with all of our spells and for our son to use and maybe our future son that I keep talking about heart

personally I think a homemade BOS is best rather than buying a large blank book to just fill. but thats just my opinion. heart  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:30 pm
I've tried the 3 ring binder and personally... i just don't like it. =  

Anannsul

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:59 pm
Anannsul
What do you dislike about it?  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:42 pm
The book I use most often is a three ring binder...it's actually a fabric covering for a three ring binder. It's not something I made myself, it's one I originally used when I was in school...it not only helps to protect the binder itself, it has a velcro closure so that it stays shut when you are carting it about, and it also has pockets for loose papers and for pens.

The thing I appreciate most about using a three ring binder is that I can move things about whenever I feel the need to. I have reorganized my book many times. I actually now have three different three ring binders: one for my main stuff I use more regularly, one for information I don't use regularly (also for old rituals I keep for reference but no longer use), and one for all things related to Heathenry (this one is definitely a work in progress, but I like having a separate place to keep all my notes and thoughts in order).

I would absolutely love to make a large Book of Shadows by hand one day. I have done some paper making and book binding and I absolutely adore the process.  

kyndryana3

10,550 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Hygienic 200

Anannsul

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:29 pm
Esiris
Anannsul
What do you dislike about it?

I'm not sure. i can't exactly put my finger on it. I just don't like it.. it doesn't feel very ME. Then again... it's just a simple white binder with protection sheets in it. =

I've always wanted one of those old lookin type books with parchment type paper in it. XD but my writing is terrible. XD

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:01 am
My fiance and I once each did the three ring binder thing. Didn't decorate it any fancy or anything. But then his cat sprayed on his and we had to save the note book pages, and mine got step on on the move so mine was destroyed as well. I feel it easier just to have it on the computer myself, being that it's the computer age and all. Maybe sometime in the future i'll sit down and make my own, but until then, its just scatter bits of everywhere.  

Keala Kai

Romantic Tycoon

3,900 Points
  • Junior Trader 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50

pompoennetje

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:24 pm
I had one, but I threw it away when I moved out.

I don't know why, I just did it.

I personally like hand made ones, but a USB is much handier.  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games