Welcome to Gaia! ::

Japanese Academy

Back to Guilds

A virtual classroom where beginners can learn to read and write Japanese. New students welcome! 

Tags: Japanese, Academy, Japan, Learn, School 

Reply Japanese Vocabulary and Grammar Lessons
JAPANESE Lesson Twelve - Dictionary Forms in Past Tense Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Starry Starry Fright
Captain

Quotable Lunatic

8,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:52 pm
This lesson is going to be tricky. No way around it. Let's just try to get through it together.

Okay, in Lesson Eleven we learned about dictionary or root forms of verbs. If you're not totally solid on that material, go back and review it now.

You know that there are three groups of verbs, and that "dictionary" form is very informal. Good. Now, we're going to take this one group at a time.

GROUP ONE

If you want to change the informal dictionary form into formal past tense, drop the "u" and add "imashita".

kaku becomes kakimashita (wrote)

But if you want to keep the verb informal, it gets complicated. Bear with me.

If the root (dictionary form) ends in KU, drop the KU and add ITA.

kaku becomes kaita (wrote)

If the root ends in GU, drop the GU and add IDA.

oyogu becomes oyoida (swam)

If the root ends with U, TSU or RU, drop the U, TSU or RU and add TTA.

kaeru becomes kaetta (returned)

If the root ends with NU, BU or MU, drop the NU, BU or MU and add NDA.

nomu becomes nonda (drank)

If the root ends with SU, drop the SU and add SHITA.

hanasu becomes hanashita (spoke)

GROUP TWO

To change your verb from root form to formal past tense, drop the RU and add MASHITA.

miru becomes mimashita (saw)

To change your root to the informal past tense, simply drop the RU and add TA.

taberu becomes tabeta (ate)

GROUP THREE

For formal past tense:

kuru becomes kimashita

suru becomes shimashita

For informal past tense:

kuru becomes kita

suru becomes shita

Is everyone clear on this material? I know it's a lot to remember, but it is all very important in your journey to Japanese fluency.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:41 am
I thought the dictionary forms were ru... eek

Why is it imashita?

xXSakura-chanxX67

Starry Starry Fright
Captain

Quotable Lunatic

8,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:12 am
xXSakura-chanxX67

Why is it imashita?

The dictionary form IS ru. When you put it in "imashita" it becomes Formal Past Tense.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:15 am
Starry Starry Fright
xXSakura-chanxX67

Why is it imashita?

The dictionary form IS ru. When you put it in "imashita" it becomes Formal Past Tense.
OH!! xd I'm so sorry!!  

xXSakura-chanxX67

this little secret

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:15 pm
This is very tricky, must concentrate more on this.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:43 pm
Gosh!  

Rihanna Bae

Starry Starry Fright
Captain

Quotable Lunatic

8,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:54 pm
Kinukio
Gosh!

We're going to do a LOT more work with this later...  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:24 pm
Argh, I really don't like Japanese verbs...xD

So group one is making the dictionary forms informal past tense, group two is making them formal past tense, and group three....formal past tense again? Er...I'm confused now. sweatdrop

pixseouls

9,350 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Invisibility 100

Starry Starry Fright
Captain

Quotable Lunatic

8,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:32 pm
smilingsin272

So group one is making the dictionary forms informal past tense, group two is making them formal past tense, and group three....formal past tense again? Er...I'm confused now. sweatdrop

Don't worry, I'll help you with this.

All the verbs belong to either group one, group two or group three. But to change verbs in DICTIONARY form (-ru) to PAST DICTIONARY FORM, the method is different depending on which group the verb falls into.

So if you have a verb and it belongs in GROUP ONE, then goup and look under GROUP ONE in the lesson to learn how to change it to past tense.

If the verb belongs to GROUP TWO then go up and find group two, and then the methods for changing it to past tense is there and so on for group three.

Better?  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:59 pm
Starry Starry Fright
smilingsin272

All the verbs belong to either group one, group two or group three. But to change verbs in DICTIONARY form (-ru) to PAST DICTIONARY FORM, the method is different depending on which group the verb falls into.

So if you have a verb and it belongs in GROUP ONE, then goup and look under GROUP ONE in the lesson to learn how to change it to past tense.

If the verb belongs to GROUP TWO then go up and find group two, and then the methods for changing it to past tense is there and so on for group three.

Better?

Yes, I believe so!!

So basically those three groups are different ways to change the verbs into past tense, depending on their certain roots?

I'm gonna write all of this down now. xD I prefer making charts to see things clearer. 8D

pixseouls

9,350 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Invisibility 100

Starry Starry Fright
Captain

Quotable Lunatic

8,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:04 am
smilingsin272
Starry Starry Fright
smilingsin272

Better?

Yes, I believe so!!

So basically those three groups are different ways to change the verbs into past tense, depending on their certain roots?

I'm gonna write all of this down now. xD I prefer making charts to see things clearer. 8D

By jove, I think she's got it!

Writing things down for yourself is always the best way to learn. I have notebooks upon notebooks filled with this stuff.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:05 pm
Starry Starry Fright

Lmao ;D Yeeesh I'm learning!

Mhmm, I just have a weird organization system...not sure if it would count as organizing....xD

Oh and I've been reading this Japaense book about c- and v- stem verbs. :/ I was wondering which would be in which group, or are they categorized differently? D8

pixseouls

9,350 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Invisibility 100

Kai Shi
Crew

7,850 Points
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:15 am
I learned a song in high school that helped me remember it...let's see if I can remember it/communicate it properly...

Oh never mind...I just tried to write it out and its actually a lot more complicated. It's less complicated (and probably more correct) to learn it from dictionary form.

がんばってください  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:07 pm
Kai Shi
I learned a song in high school that helped me remember it...let's see if I can remember it/communicate it properly...

Oh never mind...I just tried to write it out and its actually a lot more complicated. It's less complicated (and probably more correct) to learn it from dictionary form.

がんばってください

Yeah, I've got a few songs in my notes, but I find them pretty confusing as well. I think the only way to really learn this stuff is through practice.  

Starry Starry Fright
Captain

Quotable Lunatic

8,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250

Nana Shinu Ai

7,200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:16 pm
well. it look okay how it broken down. but some of the Japanese music that artist sings. how does work when understand the past words they saying? Sensei hope to learn more how it is useful use dictionary form.  
Japanese Vocabulary and Grammar Lessons

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff