Welcome to Gaia! ::

GGN Moderators' Guild - NOW OPEN

Back to Guilds

We are a guild of Captains, Vice Captains, and Crew helping out those of similar rank in need and working with developers to improve guilds. 

Tags: Captain, Vice Captain, Crew 

Reply Resources & Discussion
input requested : ban vs remove users - new functionality? Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

wesden

6,050 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:31 pm
Some users have brought up that sometimes they would like to remove users from a guild (do to inactivity, for example) and that banning is too severe. Given that's the only option right now (and that it has implications on trying to join the guild again - if you are banned, you must be invited to join the guild or be unbanned) we'd like to add a "remove user" option.

Couple questions for you:

- does it make sense to have this feature? smile
- other than inactivity, what activity would make you want to remove users - but NOT ban them?
- we would most probably follow the ban form format (optional reason free form box) for the remove, would it be easier to have a checkbox for "due to inactivity" if that's the most common use case?
- banned users currently get a PM, we would send a PM for the remove as well with the reason.

Hoping to get this fixed during our fixathon!
Thanks smile  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:16 pm
Let's save a day, let's save a world...
Yes, I would love this option! There's also that some banned users are still appearing in the member list, but not all of them are. [I know, I personally went through and banned six pages of users, and we only have three pages left, with about one total of banned users still appearing on it.

1) It makes sense to have this feature
2) Not posting in over a year. But I don't think it should be automated. I think there should be a button, like "prune members".
3) Agreed about checking a box for inactivity
Let's find a place away from these hellholes.

Melody Hikari-Shinu Anson

Fluffy Bachelorette

10,250 Points
  • Married 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400

applesauce600

9,150 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:43 pm
I am against banning for inactivity, and banning in general as I think there are always better ways to deal with problems, but if this thing is added I'd like an option to mass remove. I'd like this option to have "knobs" for both time without posting and number of posts. One of the main problems I see with banning for inactivity now is that if they haven't posted once then you don't know any dates, just the order, and the ones who have posted at lease once are the ones people usually like to keep.

TLDR: I'd like to see a "date joined" added and a mass remove option that lets you tweak it to get member who haven't posted in a selected amount of time and haven't posted a certain number of posts.

If you have any questions about my opinions or if you just think I'm so awesome you need to talk to me feel free to PM me.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:54 pm
While I agree that the word "ban" always sounded too harsh, this option just seems unnecessary. Removing a user from the guild would be the same as banning them from the guild. The same action is being performed. The user still gets kicked from the guild for breaking guild rules. (Assuming here that inactivity is grounds for kicking someone from a guild.)

...Wait, so banned users cannot send a request to rejoin the guild? They must receive an invite to re-join a guild they were banned from? Okay, I can see the usefulness of a separate "remove user" option that still allows people the chance to request to re-join on their own.

I think it would be more useful to have a warning option sent out like, "If you do not make a post in the guild within the next three weeks, you will be automatically removed from the memberlist." I don't know if that's possible to set up, but it'd be nice to have a system like that instead of sending a blanket warning over the guild announcement system which the inactive person might not see on their My Gaia anyway. This way a warning would be sent to the users you choose, they get a chance to become active and they're automatically removed if not. But, eh, even then... it's not like we can't live without that option.

Another reason to "remove" users and not "ban" them is when people clean out memberlists after guilds have been sold. Years ago, I received a message that said I was banned from a guild and freaked out. The message inside the PM let me know that the guild was sold without warning to the members and that the new owner was cleaning out the memberlist. I felt that "ban" sounded too harsh, but I got over it quickly since that info was included inside the PM.

I can't think of any other reason for why I'd remove someone from the memberlist and not ban them. The only other reasons I can think of would be actually breaking the guild rules. And in the case of breaking rules, I think they'd deserve a ban. I've helped run a couple guilds in my Gaia lifetime. In my experience, people usually either obeyed the rules or left the guild themselves after receiving a couple warnings sent by PM. I've never actually had to ban anyone...

sdrawkcab

A Duck

40,425 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Citizen 200
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100

jax is in love

Invisible Shapeshifter

8,350 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Overstocked 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:33 am
i think we should also have a suspension option so we can give a warning to problem members and giving them time away from the guild to cool down  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:01 pm
- does it make sense to have this feature?

Not especially no ...

- other than inactivity, what activity would make you want to remove users - but NOT ban them?

Maybe if someone wanted to suspend someone from play (IE in a RP) for a set amount of time but this can easily been done in guild.

- we would most probably follow the ban form format (optional reason free form box) for the remove, would it be easier to have a checkbox for "due to inactivity" if that's the most common use case?

I suppose it would be, yes.

- banned users currently get a PM, we would send a PM for the remove as well with the reason.

As well it should if the existing system does ...

I agree with sdrawkcab, having a warning system makes far more sense. I also agree that there is little purpose in removing someone rather then banning them.

applesauce600 raises some good points too, it would make sense to have a mass ban option in conjecture with a post count and last post date option.

How about you move the guild announcements so they're separate again? That's where most of us were sending out the warnings and such to let members know they'd be banned if they didn't post.  

Pilotslover

Seeker

12,050 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200

Pandora Riddlebox

Questionable Giver

6,550 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:54 pm
Pilotslover
- does it make sense to have this feature?

Not especially no ...

Maybe if someone wanted to suspend someone from play (IE in a RP) for a set amount of time but this can easily been done in guild.

I suppose it would be, yes.

As well it should if the existing system does ...

I agree with sdrawkcab, having a warning system makes far more sense. I also agree that there is little purpose in removing someone rather then banning them.

applesauce600 raises some good points too, it would make sense to have a mass ban option in conjecture with a post count and last post date option.

How about you move the guild announcements so they're separate again? That's where most of us were sending out the warnings and such to let members know they'd be banned if they didn't post.[/quote]
speaking of which. I can't send one. There's no send button and i have not send an announcement at all in the past couple weeks.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:51 pm
The "remove" function seems most useful when you're buying/selling guilds, I find. Some people want to start again from scratch and clear the guild completely, like I did. Banning in such a situation is over the top because there's the chance that the member of the old guild would also be interested in the new one but wouldn't be able to join because of the ban.

And if the new "remove" function is going to be developed, I would like guild leaders to be able to see a list of who ended up in the "ban" list because of the previous lack of "remove".  

shall she sail seas

wesden

6,050 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:04 am
applesauce600
I am against banning for inactivity, and banning in general as I think there are always better ways to deal with problems, but if this thing is added I'd like an option to mass remove. I'd like this option to have "knobs" for both time without posting and number of posts. One of the main problems I see with banning for inactivity now is that if they haven't posted once then you don't know any dates, just the order, and the ones who have posted at lease once are the ones people usually like to keep.

TLDR: I'd like to see a "date joined" added and a mass remove option that lets you tweak it to get member who haven't posted in a selected amount of time and haven't posted a certain number of posts.

If you have any questions about my opinions or if you just think I'm so awesome you need to talk to me feel free to PM me.

Unfortunately, we can't show join data in this instance. We use userID as a proxy.

Keep in mind, this isn't about *banning* for inactivity (that's the use case we're trying to avoid) it's for allowing another option - REMOVE - do to inactivity, or other reasons where banning would be too severe. smile We've received lots of requests for a remove function for this exact case.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:07 am
jax is in love
i think we should also have a suspension option so we can give a warning to problem members and giving them time away from the guild to cool down

that would be new and different functionality smile We're trying to bite off what we can chew in a 2 weeks period. I've added it to the list (which also has mass select on it, too) for future enhancements.  

wesden

6,050 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Friendly 100

1wolffan

5,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:52 pm
Not only would it be nice to have ban or remove, it should be possible to remove people that have already been banned. I have a small list of banned folks on my guild, but I don't want them remaining on the banned list.

I'm not good at explaining, but I'll try to point out another use. What if you banned someone a year ago, you don't necessarily want to invite them back, but you wouldn't mind them asking to return. If you could remove them from the list (and therefore they're banned status) they could simply ask to come back in. Who knows, maybe they've matured in a year or so.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:45 am
What a good idea. The problem with banning a member is that they cannot come back into a guild. Removing them due to inactivity gives them the option to return.  

mamarita

Generous Guildswoman

Pilotslover

Seeker

12,050 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:47 am
No point in doing any of it if members CAN'T see the announcements sent because they end up buried under the other crap on the 'my Gaia' page. Lets have the announcements back in their own bubble before we talk about changing anything else.

Well, that and bringing the guilds up to date with the rest of the site. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:36 am
Pilotslover
No point in doing any of it if members CAN'T see the announcements sent because they end up buried under the other crap on the 'my Gaia' page. Lets have the announcements back in their own bubble before we talk about changing anything else.

Well, that and bringing the guilds up to date with the rest of the site. 3nodding

And I say this in large bold text.

Q F T

Pandora Riddlebox

Questionable Giver

6,550 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Millionaire 200
Resources & Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff