Submit

good build?
  YES
  HELL YA
  HUH?
View Results

090Freak090

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:15 pm
alright guys and gals. I'm back after a few months of no internet and forgotten password.

In my absence i have started an AR15A3 build.

So far I have ordered my lower parts and they are as follow
Surplus Arms and Ammo stripped Lower $60
AR 6-Stage Collapsible (Commercial-Spec) Stock $35
Daniel Defense AR-15 Lower Parts Kit (LRPK) includes MAGPUL MOE Trigger Guard $70
For my upper I am planning on building an all YHM 20" Black Diamond A3 for about $500
and a YHM BCG for $115

I haven't decide on my optics yet, mostly because that will cost a lot more money, but for my temporary and eventually secondary sights I am thinking of using Magpul's MBUS

User Image

HERE SHE IS!!!
I added a Bushnell Trophy MP Red Dot
User Image  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:48 pm
Stripped lower's sold out. sad  

Shrantic

090Freak090

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:10 pm
Rocky Sassoon
Stripped lower's sold out. sad

yeah, it sold out the day I ordered it, I saw the parts kits selling out so I figured I would order the other stuff I wanted before they sold out as well... I would have rather ordered a Spike's but for the price I figured why not. Its all made the same anyways.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:20 pm
really? No input at all?  

090Freak090

090Freak090

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:49 am
Ok, so far I have:

Lower receiver (Surplus Arms and Ammo)
LR Parts kit (Daniel Defense)
Collapsible stock/buffer tube assembly
Bolt Carrier Group (Daniel Defense)
Stripped Upper w/ M4 feed ramps (Yankee Hill Machine)
Dust Cover (Armalite
Forward Assist (Armalite)

Total spent so far: $415+FFL (20)

Im still trying to decide on my barrel though. Any thoughts, comments, or complaints?  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:06 pm
So, I got everything in and put together and will post better pics when I get/find a Mini-USB cable

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa247/freak090/stuffs/Photo0785.jpg

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa247/freak090/stuffs/Photo0784.jpg  

090Freak090

Shrantic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:17 pm
090Freak090

Im still trying to decide on my barrel though. Any thoughts, comments, or complaints?
If you have the money, buy Noveske. Their barrels are legendary. Stainless can usually produce <.5MOA groups, M249-spec barrels can usually produce <.75MOA groups, both at 100 yards. However, they do cost quite a lot. >.>  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:26 pm
Rocky Sassoon
090Freak090

If you have the money, buy Noveske. Their barrels are legendary. Stainless can usually produce <.5MOA groups, M249-spec barrels can usually produce <.75MOA groups, both at 100 yards. However, they do cost quite a lot. >.>

I'm edging towards either Bushmaster 16-20" or the PMS Mini-sass 18" barrel if I can conjure up the money for it. It's not Chrome but I don't really care too much about that because I'm not building a machine gun, nor am I cleaning with cloths (Barrel snake FTW), but it does have an amazing reputation as a Sub MOA barrel.  

090Freak090

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:55 am
090Freak090
Rocky Sassoon
090Freak090

I'm edging towards either Bushmaster 16-20" or the PMS Mini-sass 18" barrel if I can conjure up the money for it. It's not Chrome but I don't really care too much about that because I'm not building a machine gun, nor am I cleaning with cloths (Barrel snake FTW), but it does have an amazing reputation as a Sub MOA barrel.
The thing about chrome is that, contrary to what you'd expect, chrome is HARD. Chrome-lined barrels last much, much longer before the rifling wears down. Like, it turns a 10,000 round barrel into a 2,000 round barrel. And I'm sure we all know how fast you can go through 2,000 rounds, and with a semi-auto no less. When a company checks the accuracy of the gun, it has MAYBE ten rounds through it before it's tested. Put two thousand rounds through a non-chromed barrel, you'll be shooting 2MOA after. A chromed barrel will keep the sub-MOA accuracy even after a crate or two of ammo.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:40 am
Fresnel
090Freak090
Rocky Sassoon
090Freak090

The thing about chrome is that, contrary to what you'd expect, chrome is HARD. Chrome-lined barrels last much, much longer before the rifling wears down. Like, it turns a 10,000 round barrel into a 2,000 round barrel. And I'm sure we all know how fast you can go through 2,000 rounds, and with a semi-auto no less. When a company checks the accuracy of the gun, it has MAYBE ten rounds through it before it's tested. Put two thousand rounds through a non-chromed barrel, you'll be shooting 2MOA after. A chromed barrel will keep the sub-MOA accuracy even after a crate or two of ammo.
You mean 2,000 rounds to 10,000?

Yeah, I've heard that quite a lot. It really comes down to preference- how much do you want the gun to outshoot you, compared to how much do you want the gun to outlast you?  

Shrantic

090Freak090

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:50 am
While thats true, it is stainless steel and SS barrels tend to last a pretty damn long time... besides, you will always be shooting on the same steel, not the softer insides of your once plated barrel that is now prone to rusting.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:28 pm
090Freak090
While thats true, it is stainless steel and SS barrels tend to last a pretty damn long time... besides, you will always be shooting on the same steel, not the softer insides of your once plated barrel that is now prone to rusting.
Noveske (non-ss) barrels have double chrome lining. And so far, there has been no one to claim to have shot out their M249-spec barrels.

And by the time you wear out even standard chrome lining, an SS barrel would have already been shooting much larger groups.  

Shrantic

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:54 pm
Rocky Sassoon
Fresnel
090Freak090
Rocky Sassoon
090Freak090

You mean 2,000 rounds to 10,000?

Yeah, I've heard that quite a lot. It really comes down to preference- how much do you want the gun to outshoot you, compared to how much do you want the gun to outlast you?
I meant lack of chroming, but you can read that either way, so whatever. You know what I was trying to say.

My barrel is chrome-lined, and still sub-MOA, so I don't see any downside but price, really.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:58 pm
090Freak090
Chrome lined barrels are, save the chrome, solid stainless. The stainless aspect is made by mixing some nickel into the steel, making it an alloy. So neither barrel will ever rust.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Buying and Advice

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out