Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply The Official Australian Guild
Is there too much censorship in this guild? Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you think there is too much censorship in the guild?
Yes
56%
 56%  [ 9 ]
No
43%
 43%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 16

TrickYMickY

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:37 am
Im just a new member to this guild and having a look at the threads throughout the guild that have been locked for little or no given reason and having been told that some had been deleted previous to my joining this guild it makes me think that there is either to much censorship going on here or that there are control freaks with mod status.
What happened to threads just dying out until it gets relegated to the 3rd or 4th page so it is safe to delete?
It looks like once a topic has been brought up that some might not think is a good conversation topic it is locked or deleted.

Now Im a mod in another guild and in the past I have had to delete a couple of threads (and only because it was really offensive) and in a couple of cases I have had to edit some posts (for the same reason). But it almost seems like facism in this guild.

Im not saying that I dont want to be a part of this guild but from my limited experience here so far am I wrong with what Im saying?  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:02 am
I guess you're right..

There is too much censorship in this guild  

Essence of Crayon

5,250 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

weeping pixie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:12 am
i could say the main reason for that...but we hang around a bit longer and you will learn for yourself  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:12 am
You haven't gone through the arguments we have okay?

Look, you are a new member, as is the poster below you, and I can only conclude that you lack experience in this guild. You don't have the right to say there is too much censorship as you don't know the history.
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for free speech, but when it degenerates into useless banter and insults the usefulness of it ceases.

I am the main moderator of this guild, and I stand by my decisions in the past as well as the present. I know our members, I know what can happen. I'm simply keeping the peace.

Now as for the locked threads, as I have already explained to you before, they have either been deemed too specific or offensive.

As for something being too specific, we cut these threads down to a general thread as was done with the Sports threads. They were providing clutter for the guild rather than anything else, and due to the fact all sports can be categorized as sports, there is a general thread for such talkings. It's logical to only have one thread.

Now I hope you understand and appreciate what we Admins are doing for the guild.
I will reitterate, you don't know the history, I do.  

DNA_Guru
Captain

weeping pixie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:24 am
i was wondering how long it would take you to come to this thread guru...though i dont think any of you admins should lock this thread just yet...lets face it this guild is known for its politics and there are double standards at times...depending on who's posting and who they're mates with...

i think the whole idea of censorship and locking threads should be open for discussion to all active members least for the next few days...i just suggest people don't start huge fights here

eg. decluttering the guild...how bout not combining the threads into one big tgeneral thread...it makes the whole thread confusing, so what if all sports is sport, how can you keep up a conversation about soccer at the same time as there are posts about AFL and NRL and other sports all in one...how about making links to relevant topics where we can keep all the threads in categories such as sport, life issues...this means less clutter on the main page and also makes things easier to find...this has been done is so many other guilds so i dont see why you guys cant to the same  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:27 am
There one way to declutter the guild- set up subforums for specific topics.  

ManagerKyoto

weeping pixie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:28 am
ManagerKyoto
There one way to declutter the guild- set up subforums for specific topics.

hehe thats what i meant...i just couldnt think of the word for it...LOL been up for way tooooo long  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:30 am
I didn't say I was locking this did I? No I didn't. I left it open for discussion didn't I. I seem to be the only moderator not immune to criticism.

Look that's valid sure, but you can differentiate the thread disscussions. After all, we seem to manage in General chat talking about several issues at once, I can't see why you can't do that is a sports thread.
If I truly was being specific bandit, I'd have only one thread. But no, I've given sub categorys. That is what a guild is for.

Look, I'd have a sub-forum for each general topic if I had it my way, but we can't afford it and it's just not cost effective.
I've narrowed it to one thread, it makes it easier and all the sports threads are on the same page in one topic.  

DNA_Guru
Captain

ManagerKyoto

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:34 am
That and you need to be a captain or vice captain to make subforums.

Abnd our captain only comes in the say how good she thinks she is.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:37 am
i thought you already get your way guru  

weeping pixie

DNA_Guru
Captain

ManagerKyoto

I consider that defamation but yes, the case is we do need our captain to intervene a little more often. Also I don't think such a rank as vice-captain exists.  
DNA_Guru
You don't have the right to say....
I'm all for free speech,.....

Hmmmm.... stare

DNA_Guru in (Did the media encourage the Cronulla problems?)thread
I'm sorry Lil, but there is already a commercial media thread.

Locked.

Now this is a topical discussion, one that a lot of people might have had things to say about it, not really about commercial media but specifically about something current in the news. When I saw that the thread was locked I thought maybe because of racist views being expressed in which case I could then understand, but from the 2 posts that there were it was a harmless informative discussion.

in the thread Should we push for more Australian Outfits in Gaia shops? it appears to be a harmless thread, one which I can see from your post that you disagree with (but that is what forums are all about discussing different views) but after your post its been locked. Why?

Now I can tell there has been a history that I don't know about, I think I caught up on just a litte bit of it in some of the other threads that Ive read, and I think that me being new to this guild is a good thing that I can look objectively at what I can see with fresh eyes and make the observations that I have. And while there may have been cause to delete/lock many threads from looking at some of the others, in my opinion looks like overkill.  

TrickYMickY

DNA_Guru
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:53 am
You can never look at anything 'objectively' my friend. You will come into such a society as this with your own ideas of how things can or should be run, we have had a reasonable stable community for the entierty of this guild's existence.

Now I'm sorry, but dealing with the riots in Cronulla, any debate about that was about the media's blatant exaggeration of the fact, there can't be much more to disscuss about such an incident. Sure, I may be being a tad presumptuous here, but at that time I thought that there was only one side to such an argument.

Most of these decisions I have made have been on the merit of the thread, where it was headed. I'm all for foresight and I have exacted such things on that idea in the past.
Australian outfits in gaia....that was simply stupidity. The ideas where stereotyping the Australian way of life which I don't want.
It's a thread that wasn't necessary for discussion, I don't see any of the other moderators disagreeing with me either.
Such a thread wasn't needed simply because the idea was absurd, logically improbable, and not very well thought out. People don't see the big picture.

Your reading of a few threads hardly qualifys you as a guild Historian. I've been here since the beginning I understand the members, I understand what the history is, I know what it means.

And I stand by the fact that I am for free speech, but not anarchy. People do not have the right to say certain things if they can't back them up. That's what I'm saying. Free speech is one thing, but you have to have the evidence to back it up.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:59 am
DNA_Guru
ManagerKyoto

I consider that defamation but yes, the case is we do need our captain to intervene a little more often. Also I don't think such a rank as vice-captain exists.
I am not commenting on the captain issue, as I have said too much.

In the Gaian guild system there is 4 ranks. Member- where you can post and make new thread. Crew- where you can post, make new threads, makes stickies or annoucments, delete threads and move threads to subforum. Captain- has complete control and can change everything in a second, can promote members to crew and crew to vice captains. Vice-captains - can do almost everything a captain can without being able to promote crew to vice captain and change the guild captain.

I am a Vice-Captain of my Starwars roleplay guild -(Star Wars: The Struggle Within).  

ManagerKyoto

DNA_Guru
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:03 am
ManagerKyoto
In the Gaian guild system there is 4 ranks. Member- where you can post and make new thread. Crew- where you can post, make new threads, makes stickies or annoucments, delete threads and move threads to subforum. Captain- has complete control and can change everything in a second, can promote members to crew and crew to vice captains. Vice-captains - can do almost everything a captain can without being able to promote crew to vice captain and change the guild captain.

Oh ok. That sounds reasonable. I may see what Lil will say to promoting one of the crew just because she isn't around.
And no this isn't for my personal benefit. I'll ask her next time she's online.  
The Official Australian Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff