Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gamers Promised Land, Gaia's Best Gaming and Pop Culture

Back to Guilds

Gaia's best guild for discussions and contests about Video Games, Pop Culture, general geek stuff, and any kind of discussion! 

Tags: Video Games, Pop culture, chatting, Internet, tournaments 

Reply Main Forum
Welcome to Columbia - BioShock Infinite Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Cybylt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:34 pm
Quote:
BioShock Infinite is a first-person shooter currently in development at Irrational Games, the studio behind the original BioShock (which sold over 4 million units worldwide). Set in 1912, BioShock Infinite introduces an entirely new narrative and gameplay experience that lifts players out of the familiar confines of Rapture and rockets them to Columbia, an immense city in the sky.

Former Pinkerton agent Booker DeWitt has been sent to rescue Elizabeth, a young woman imprisoned in Columbia since childhood. Booker develops a relationship with Elizabeth, augmenting his abilities with hers so the pair may escape from a city that is literally falling from the sky. DeWitt must learn to fight foes in high-speed Sky-Line battles, engage in combat both indoors and amongst the clouds, and harness the power of dozens of new weapons and abilities.

You can see the trailer and the teaser site here.

As well as a more in-depth analysis of what's been shown here.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:22 am
Moved this to the main forum. Even fewer people read the subforums

At first I was like "Whut. Why can't the just leave bioshock alone and make a new series" then I noticed that it's being developed by the people behind System Shock 2 and the first Bioshock - two of my favorite games. Now I nod and wait for more.  

nitnit
Captain

Cybylt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:10 pm
I think they'll keep the BioShock title as long as mutation maintains a key role in powers and plot development.

As far as Rapture's concerned, what else is there to do with it? They have a story expansion in 2 on the way that 2K might use to try to tie in Columbia, but I doubt it. Irrational wants to keep as little ties to the original as possible and create a new and unique world that could stand on its own.

A couple of other things, Columbia is nothing like Rapture, Columbia was the world's biggest P.R project during American Epxansionism and a big ******** you to the rest of the world. Just a giant middle finger floating above every other country. Something went wrong and turned this from laughing at the world, to trying to kill it, making the city a veritable Death Star while disappearing into the clouds.

Their big game changers seem to be, aside from the openness that Columbia has.

The SkyLine - A grapple hook and zipline leaves you on a vertigo inducing rollercoaster that you can use to get around the city and make tactical advantages. If someone wants you dead, they'll start from a distance and either shoot at you already or take the Line themselves.

Elizabeth - She's been described as someone who enables the impossible, her powers are on a much grander scale than anything seen in the BioShock world and she's helping you on your command.

Neutrality - Columbia isn't inherently hostile to you, they'll go about their usual business with you around, but they'll do it with an uneasy glare and a hand on their gun until they know where you stand.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:02 pm
Hmmm... Castle In The Sky, with more guns, and mutations, well at least there out of rapture stare  

The Ginger Dude

Haratio TaFotter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:00 am
I'm going to be happier once I see game play footage. Still, I liked what I saw in the trailer, mainly the use of what I assume to be plasmids. I think the biggest challenge is going to be keeping the creepy dystopian Bioshock atmosphere in broad daylight. Still, I look forward to more, and hope its better than Bioshock 2.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:21 pm
You say that they want this to be as far from Rapture and Bioshock 1/2 as possible. This is why I wondered why they don't just make a new series, lol.

In terms of gameplay, there are a lot of parallels between System Shock 2 and Bioshock.

I'm guessing that we'll actually see quite a few references to the world of Rapture in Bioshock: Infinite. I'm almost willing to bet money that the name "Andrew Ryan" will be said in the game. And it will be referring to the man from Bioshock 1.  

nitnit
Captain

The Ginger Dude

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:05 am
No your at the end of the game and it's like SHODAN lol, wouldn't be suprised  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:49 pm
I have a feeling that Bioshock: Infinite will have the same plot satisfaction of Bioshock, but will have the opposite feel. Columbia and Rapture are complete opposites. Columbia is bright and sunny, open, not ruined yet,and in the sky!! Where Rapture has seen better days, dark, closed quarters, and underwater.

I feel Irrational will do a great job on this title and I think 2k wanted them to keep Bioshock in the title for the consumer base to know that "Hey! another bioshock game? i liked the first 2, i'll buy this one too!"

Now where is my BorderWorlds announcement? ninja  

Tron714
Vice Captain

Cybylt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:35 am
Another article stating Irrational Games' reasons for calling the game BioShock.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:51 am
Tron714
Now where is my BorderWorlds announcement? ninja

In a pile of Skag vomit? I'd like to know this as well, but at least they finally said something about DLC 4.  

Haratio TaFotter

Cybylt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:02 am
Joystiq interview with Ken Levine
Gametrailers interview with Ken Levine  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:49 pm
You guys are actually excited about DLC? =/  

nitnit
Captain

Tron714
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:44 pm
nitnit
You guys are actually excited about DLC? =/
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:41 pm
I have mixed feelings for DLC.

On one hand, it allows developers to add in things they feel would add to the game. In theory it would proportionately priced to the base game's content/price ratio.

Unfortunately, it's fairly obvious that certain publishers (EA, Capcom, Bethesda) push/force developers to pump out DLCs to merely make a few extra bucks. I suppose that with Gamestop taking a massive amount of their profits with used games this is kind of understandable, but when you're paying 10$ for 2-3 hours of gameplay? Or 5$ for new god damn costumes on your characters? Or 10$ to fix the ending/low level cap of your game (fallout 3 I'm looking at you)... then gimme a break.

Having said that, there are a few times I have purchased blatantly poorly priced DLC and not minded. Perfect example: Castle Crashers. My friends and I in college annhilated that game, and it only cost $15 in the first place. Handing over $5 for the king+necromancer wasn't worth it, but I felt that the developers deserved more for their fine game. (Especially since it's Behemoth, small scale studio, developers will definitely see more of that money than Bioware will for any of the DLC in their games)  

nitnit
Captain

Cybylt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:33 pm
About 9 minutes of Bioshock Infinite gamplay  
Main Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items