Reply Gaia Gun Enthusiasts
Friendly care package incoming! *Now upgraded!* Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:57 pm
Ah, Nastasha. I feel for you. Proud companion of the soldiers of a powerful country in a warring time, and then slathered in goo and shut away in a crate for God-knows-how-many years. But no longer! Now you will receive the care you deserve.

User Image

According to 7.62x54r.net, she is from Izhevsk of the former Soviet Union, and seems to be in great condition. The wood is clean with only a few dings and scrapes, the finish is even. Sights are straight, bore is bright and pitting-free after a run of scrubbing, solvent, and oil. The bolt is fairly stiff to work after the trigger has been pulled, but I figure that's just the nature of the rifle.

Included was the double-compartment pouch, cleaning kit, sling, bayonet, and Cosmo-slathered double oil container. Also some flimsy cloth bag thing.

One question: do I need to worry about the firing pin? I've read things about improper depth when firing can result in explosive problems. Can I easily check this? Does the overall quality of the rifle lead you to assume it might not be necessary? The guy in the shop remarked that it looked to be in great shape when he took it out of the box, and I have to agree.

heart

Now to order some ammo...  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:53 pm
The fastest way I can think of would be to buy some snap caps for your rifle. Fire one snap cap repeatedly and check the dummy primer for any odd appearances like punch through.

My guess is that your rifle will be fine. If not, get it back to the store post haste!  

Floyd

Quotable Prophet

14,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200

Buki_Actual

9,050 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Generous 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:32 pm
******** you, I was going to name my Nagant Natasha when I finally got one. scream  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:43 pm
Sgt Buckner
scream

You could still use Natasha. I mean Nastasha, like Nastasha Romanenko of MGS1 fame.

User Image

Technically she's Ukrainian, not Russian, but whatever.  

ArmasTermin

090Freak090

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:10 pm
I honestly wouldn't worry about in unless you have taken the whole bolt apart...  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:28 pm
090Freak090
I honestly wouldn't worry about in unless you have taken the whole bolt apart...

I removed it for cleaning (which is awesomely easy to do) but that's it. Is it normal for a fair amount of wiggling when the bolt is pulled all the way to the rear? Because it can move up and down a fair amount.  

ArmasTermin

090Freak090

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:40 pm
ArmasTermin
090Freak090

I removed it for cleaning (which is awesomely easy to do) but that's it. Is it normal for a fair amount of wiggling when the bolt is pulled all the way to the rear? Because it can move up and down a fair amount.
Haha, I always have trouble getting the bolt and bolt guide back together right.... Are we talking about the pin or the bolt its self? My bolt will wiggle a bit on the open position, but there isn't any reason to worry about it honestly (There is no way a wiggly open bolt will effect performance. Just be sure it stays put while closed.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:47 pm
090Freak090
ArmasTermin
090Freak090

Haha, I always have trouble getting the bolt and bolt guide back together right.... Are we talking about the pin or the bolt its self? My bolt will wiggle a bit on the open position, but there isn't any reason to worry about it honestly (There is no way a wiggly open bolt will effect performance. Just be sure it stays put while closed.

I didn't think it would matter if it wiggled a bit open, just thought I'd mention it. It locks up nicely. I've never had a bolt-action or really used one, so I don't have a lot to compare it to, but there doesn't seem to be anything unsafe about the way it operates. I've been into guns for quite some time now, so I should be able to tell this stuff.

And I guess I won't worry about the headspace thing, just wear shooting glasses (like I should every time) and fire the damn thing like a man. mad

Ordered a tin of 440, should be here in under a week if Aim Surplus is badass. Fingers crossed!

Also I had been thinking of refinishing the wood, but that was when I assumed it would be in pretty bad shape. Since it's not, I probably won't do it.  

ArmasTermin

090Freak090

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:32 pm
ArmasTermin
090Freak090
ArmasTermin
090Freak090

I didn't think it would matter if it wiggled a bit open, just thought I'd mention it. It locks up nicely. I've never had a bolt-action or really used one, so I don't have a lot to compare it to, but there doesn't seem to be anything unsafe about the way it operates. I've been into guns for quite some time now, so I should be able to tell this stuff.

And I guess I won't worry about the headspace thing, just wear shooting glasses (like I should every time) and fire the damn thing like a man. mad

Ordered a tin of 440, should be here in under a week if Aim Surplus is badass. Fingers crossed!

Also I had been thinking of refinishing the wood, but that was when I assumed it would be in pretty bad shape. Since it's not, I probably won't do it.
sounds good. Aim tends to take 2-3days with processing an order and then just over a week to deliver to me in Texas so i would expect it late next week or the following Monday  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:32 pm
I see you made a thread on /k/
I should make one about my Polish Mauser sometime.
Quick question, do you have to be 21 to order ammo over the internet?

Thdark

090Freak090

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:50 pm
Thdark
idk about the internet as a whole, but AIM says so  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:48 am
090Freak090
Thdark
idk about the internet as a whole, but AIM says so

Yeah, I had to get my dad to order for me. Which is ridiculous because I just bought the gun myself, and can buy any rifle or shotgun ammo at any store in the country (I think), but as long as it's coming...

@Thedark - Ah, yeah, I made a little one.  

ArmasTermin

090Freak090

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:20 pm
Can we get a pic of he head stamp?  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:23 pm
090Freak090
Can we get a pic of he head stamp?

Sure, soon as I'm near my camera, I'll edit one in here.

Here it is:

User Image

There are serial numbers engraved roughly onto the exposed right side of the bolt when it's closed, the top of the butt plate, and the bottom of the magazine plate. They're matching, but seem to have been added on recently. My judging of this isn't really sound, but they're not original to the gun, that's for sure. There only seems to be one original to the rifle on the magazine plate. Also I think the number I blacked out in paint was the zip code to the company the rifle had been with. Apparently called SOG.

I've learned that the action of the firing pin being readied for firing is actuated by pulling the bolt up, and that bringing it to the rear only enables you to extract and eject. I always thought bringing the bolt back did all three actions. Remember I've had pretty much no extended interactions with bolt-action rifles.

Also, didn't envision ever having a gun that was heavy enough to make my pump shotgun feel like the Ruger 10/22 in comparison. The Ruger, by the way, seems to weigh no more than an airsoft gun. lol

And no making fun of my bedsheets.  

ArmasTermin

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:52 pm
Bump for picture update.  
Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items