View Results

A-B0T

Dapper Wolf

14,850 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Grunny Harvester 150
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:11 pm
User Image

Does your dog tear up the house when you leave? Does your cat claw on the couch? Are you a first time pet owner about to get a puppy and want to have a loyal obedient pet for the next 15 years or so? We'll explore training and behavior tips that will benefit your relationship with your pet. You can study this for yourself or toss in your tidbit of advice.

User Image

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:11 pm
User Image

HOUSE TRAINING

DOGS
For house training dogs patience is important. This means rubbing his nose in an accident he didn't know was wrong is both disturbing and unnecessary. In fact basing all training on rewards is better for both dog and human. When you bring your dog home, monitor his food and water intake. And be extra vigilant with puppies. Make a food and water schedule so their bathroom needs will be more predictable. Some suggest crating to discourage them from eliminating in limited quarters and after an hour take them outside. When they do the do where you want them to, make it obvious that you're pleased with praise and treats.

CATS
This is slightly easier than house training a dog. Usually cats prefer litter boxes. But keeping them in a bathroom with a litter box makes it easier for them to associate the litter box being the only appropriate place to go. Use only cat litter boxes to put the litter in. Using cardboard boxes will make them think all boxes are meant for them. And keep all temptation out of reach. This means don't leave piles of clothes unguarded until you're positive you cat fully understands that her litter box, and only her litter box is meant for peeing in.

And remember, your new pet is like a toddler being potty trained. Be forgiving of accidents. And when they do happen clean them quickly and effectively so they won't come back to where they've soiled before.

User Image

A-B0T

Dapper Wolf

14,850 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Grunny Harvester 150

A-B0T

Dapper Wolf

14,850 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Grunny Harvester 150
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:12 pm
User Image

LEASH TRAINING

When a dog is new to a leash they resist the alien object attached to them. Take it slow. Start out with a 10 or 20 foot leash or rope attached to their collar and just let them get used to the leash being on them. When they've adjusted to it hold on to the leash and have them come to you and give him praise. Your bond will make this new and unfamiliar experience a pleasant one. The next step may require knowing the Come command which is covered in one of the following posts. Keep the leash long. Don't drag him. When you run out of slack call him to you and repeat this until your dog is comfortable following you on the leash. Then move to an average length leash.
A common issue is dogs trying to lead their walkers and constantly pulling the leash. Don't get a choke collar or anything of the like. When he pulls, stop in your tracks. When he takes a step back continue walking. You may also try turning around. In the beginning try walking around your property where there are less smells to tempt him to pull. It's not easy to break him of this habit. It will take much practice and many walks like this to see any change.

User Image

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:13 pm
User Image

SOCIAL BEHAVIOR

This pertains to how well your dog dwells with company. Proper socialization is the key difference between a friendly dog and a scared potentially aggressive one. Depending on your lifestyle, your dog will need to be able to get along with adults, children, or other pets. Take him on walks near a variety of people and dogs. Have friends and family visit you or ask if you can bring him along. The more desensitized your dog is to all kinds of situations the less likely they are to be shy and bark at strangers or even feel the need to defensively bite someone.

User Image

A-B0T

Dapper Wolf

14,850 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Grunny Harvester 150

A-B0T

Dapper Wolf

14,850 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Grunny Harvester 150
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:14 pm
User Image

APPROPRIATE BEHAVIOR
This is basically for your home preferences. Keeping them off the furniture, keeping them from destroying the furniture, barking, nipping, ect. For climbing furniture, they need to have a place to sleep. Even if they can sleep on the floor having their own bed will mean if they want to get comfy they have a bed they can get as much hair on as they want. But when they start destroying the furniture some changes need to be made. That's where toys come in. But sometimes anxiety makes them destructive. You can cut back social anxiety by making your exit a good thing. Filling a treat ball will distract them while you're leaving. You can also practice by making fake exits. Do the same ritual you always do when you leave and come right back in several times. Eventually he'll be desensitized to your leaving and won't be so prone to panic.
Sometimes play gets too rough. To prevent biting it's suggested to put butter on your hands. The dog will lick the butter off. Another trick is to do what his litter mates would. Yelp. They usually don't know it hurts you when they mouth you and "Ow." doesn't register as an exclamation of pain to them. So make a high pitched yelp like a puppy would when he bites too hard. He'll realize his error and be more gentle with you.
And barking is simple, though needs much patience. When your dog is distracted get his attention and treat him when he looks you in the face and sits for you. If he won't at least do that for you turn him around and remove him from the source until he's calmed down.
For these situations a time out is in order. When he barks, jumps on humans or furniture, or something similar take him to a secluded room, wait 1 minute or longer if necessary and let him back out. And repeat until his behavior improves.

User Image

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:15 pm
User Image

COMMANDS
**Before any training play with your dog to diminish extra energy that would otherwise distract him.**
COME COMMAND
This is tricky when first learning it. You can't get frustrated. Start out small in your living room. Try holding a toy they can see from across the room while saying the command. And be extra friendly and fun so he wants to come to you. And when he does reward him with praise. When you try it outside it will be a challenge. There's a lot of interesting smells and things to pee on. And the only thing that's better than peeing on something is getting delicious treats. Just so he can't get anywhere start him out on a long leash so he knows you have treats for him. Practice with the treats and slowly switch to praise. It's important to NEVER scold him for ignoring you. It will only discourage him.
SIT COMMAND
Sit is the first step to stay. You could make him sit by shoving his bottom to the ground. But then you'll be the one doing the work. It's better to cup a treat in your had and hold it just above their head. Eventually they'll give up and take a seat and you can let them have what they want. [:
STAY
Begins with Sit. Back up just 2 steps, then come back and treat him. Repeat while adding more space between you each time.

User Image

A-B0T

Dapper Wolf

14,850 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Grunny Harvester 150

A-B0T

Dapper Wolf

14,850 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Grunny Harvester 150
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:00 pm
User Image

I hope this helps people.

User Image

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:07 pm
4 out of my 5 cats are leash trained. They learned quick leash = outside. I have also taught them to play fetch, stay come, sit and stay, and sic em (useful with annoying JWs)  

Onigetoe

Beloved Sex Symbol

A-B0T

Dapper Wolf

14,850 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Grunny Harvester 150
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:11 pm
User Image

That's impressive. Do they wander off when you let them outside or something?

User Image

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:48 pm
Nope they stay where they are supposed to be when outside. They will even stay in the yard when the gate is open. I trained them when my mom was recovering from being in the hospital with lung problems. She needed to go for a walk every day to help her lung capaity. So I trained the cats so they could go with her (they are also trained to unhook the leash and come back to the house or go get help if something were to happen to her) when I couldn't go with her.  

Onigetoe

Beloved Sex Symbol

Testicular Diabeetus

5,650 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:54 pm
User Image

How did you leash train your cats?
I want to know, I would love to do that with my babies.

User Image

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:56 pm
User Image

Hey A.bot you should add some stuff for cats and other pets like birds.

User Image

Testicular Diabeetus

5,650 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Onigetoe

Beloved Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:28 pm
Testicular Diabetes
User Image

How did you leash train your cats?
I want to know, I would love to do that with my babies.

User Image

Get a halter and a leash (halters are easier to use and less chance of them getting cought and choking), and put the halter on them (they may act like you have broken them.. Bud and Chase did.) Then put the leash on and take them outside. Take some treats with you so you can reward them when they listen to a command like heel or stop. The will soon get the connection between halter and leash and being able to go outside. The hardest part for me was training them to sit still while I put the halters on. Then I would say to Bud and Kayko (Kayko cought on very fast) "Sit pretty boy" and they would sit down and stay still for me.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:08 pm
Testicular Diabetes
User Image

Hey A.bot you should add some stuff for cats and other pets like birds.

User Image
User Image

I don't know a lot about cat training and I mostly based this on things your pets need to do to keep them out of danger and behave decently.

User Image

A-B0T

Dapper Wolf

14,850 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Grunny Harvester 150

Testicular Diabeetus

5,650 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:13 pm
User Image

Google it.
It says dogs and cats, not just dogs.
Juss saying, I'd do it but you get pissy when I mess with your posts.

User Image

Animals and Pets

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces