Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gamers Promised Land, Gaia's Best Gaming and Pop Culture

Back to Guilds

Gaia's best guild for discussions and contests about Video Games, Pop Culture, general geek stuff, and any kind of discussion! 

Tags: Video Games, Pop culture, chatting, Internet, tournaments 

Reply Main Forum
Fallout: New Vegas Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:01 pm
With the launch date less than a month away, I see no threads on the main page about New Vegas..!

Who else is excited for what will either be the best game of this console cycle, or the biggest disappointment ever?  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:53 pm
I'm pretty excited, I've just been too busy to post anything (papers: the joy of being an English major).

Anyway, I'm working on squaring the money away so I can actually afford it by the time the release date rolls around. As long as its better than Fallout 3, I'll consider it money well spent.  

Haratio TaFotter

Tron714
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:17 pm
Saw a good bit of new gameplay on ps3's qore. It looks good. I am not too excited for it cause i have Halo: Reach and Spore to tide me down til then. I am waiting for Gamefly to actually send me something decent too thats in my top 3 crying

Game looks awesome, I hope Bethesda learns something from Obsidian too add into Fallout 4(cause you know they are gonna milk this cash cow). Just gotta get my pre order in at Best Buy sometime soon!  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:16 pm
I don't have New Vegas, but what I've heard hasn't been so good. It sounds like its a good game, but there's a lot of bugs right now. As of today, two of my friends have had to restart their game's due to corrupt save files.  

Haratio TaFotter

Tron714
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:15 pm
I really would like to play the game but with people talking about bugs and what not... I am kinda happy with just sticking it out for the Game of the Year edition and maybe get lucky on gamefly to send it my way  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:02 am
Well, I'm pretty sure they patched some of the major issues yesterday (according to one of my friends). Still, if they're going to give it a bunch of expansions like Fallout 3, then it might be worth your time to wait.  

Haratio TaFotter

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:58 pm
I've played for about... 35+ hours. I'm level 20 (cap is 30 by default), and have intentionally not finished the main storyline. (I recall reading in an interview that they are going to use the slideshow from FO1/2 to show how you changed the gameworld during the course of the game, so I want to do as many sidequests as I can before completing the game).

Having said that, I feel like there is still a TON more to find an do in this game. Probably going to take 80 hours for all the quests, and then another dozen or so to find any other secrets in the game.

Had a few crashes, but no more than you experience in FO3. Only experienced one significant in game bug (a certain door being locked for no reason, when it should not have been), but it was easy to work around it (kill an npc with a key).

Is the game too buggy? Yeah. But so were Oblivion and Fallout 3. This is the same level of bugginess. Not so sure why everyone is harping on it now when they didn't back then. (they have also already released 1 patch, and are diligently working on the one for that potential save file glitch you've spoken up)

Overall New Vegas is better than Fallout 3 in many, many ways.

- Game World makes sense and is realistic within the context of the first game (fallout 1)
- Far more NPCs with much more dialogue and generally better voice acting
- FAR more quests
- Many more towns and settlements that actually make logical sense
- More balanced gameplay. The armor system, changed enemy stats and overall nerfed perks make deathclaws, super mutants, and sentry bots the very powerful enemies they should be. Conversely, once you start getting better armors, you feel more powerful as weaker enemies barely dent you.
- Wasteland actually feels dangerous. In FO3, enemy encounters were scaled to your level. In New Vegas, they are mostly static (or are all static.. not sure) meaning that when you see a sign that says "Danger Deathclaws" unless you're incredibly powerful or well prepared, stay away unless you want to die. To put it into perspective, I have T-51B power armor currently, and a pack of deathclaws still annihilate me.
- Dialogue system much better. Speech checks are now static skill checks. In FO3, whenever you made a speech check it was a percentage based on your speech skill. Low speech characters could just save before a speech check and reload over and over til they get it, and high speech character still had a small chance at failing. In new vegas, you simply have to meet the speech requirement or fail. In addition to this, there are a LOT more dialogues where having a high science/barter/repair/etc are very useful.
- Faction/Reputation system makes all of your actions constantly have consequences that shape the gameworld, very cool stuff.
- While the gameworld itself is a bit smaller, it is undoubtedly full of overall more content, and since everything isn't handed to you on a silver platter, scrounging the wasteland is more valuable than ever.
- Main story changes depending on who you ally with.
- Ability to ally with every faction, including some "bad" ones like the powder gangsters (except The Fiends and a couple other raider ones I think).
- More weapons or every kind (melee and unarmed actually look pretty decent). Different ammo types for more strategy.

The list could go on and on...

As for Fallout 3, I will say:

- FO3 did a good job of making very memorable (although sometimes nonsensical) locations. While New Vegas' settlements are much more realistic and feasible, FO3's were arguably more memorable.

Damn. That's all I can think of for FO3 being better.

I guess some people prefer FO3's story better.

Fallout 3: Follow your dad in a wasteland, then stop the enclave from activating a purifier. Then activate the purifier yourself. You must work for the brotherhood. Your actions have no significant impact on the ending.

New Vegas: Start off getting shot in the head. Find the man who did it. Then play a vital role in the upcoming battle between the NCR and the Legion for control of the Hoover dam. Your actions will determine if one of those two factions takes control, or if yourself or the elusive Mr. House takes control of the Vegas Strip and the surrounding area.

No faction is truly right or wrong. Choose the one that meets your personal views more. Your actions, and how you treated each faction will determine their fate.

Yes. I swear to god some people think that FO3's story is better. Dunno what's wrong with this world. lol  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:56 pm
^ Thanks for the relatively spoiler-free summary of the storyline.

I can't afford it, so I need to wait until Christmas.  

pathetic_negi_magician

Tron714
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:11 am
Read somewhere that Obsidian loved the support Bethesda gave Fallout 3 and Xbox Live will get the first batch of DLC before the Playstation Network this December.

So if they like the support so much and Bethesda really loves to put content out(and Fable 3 will be in my hands as of 12:01am tomorrow)... I think its safe to say that I am getting the Game of the Year edition next year.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:00 pm
Doesn't new vegas have to win game of the year first?

Let's be honest. While, in my opinion, it's game of the year, Halo Reach, Mass Effect 2, and probably Black Ops have it beat in the eyes of the journalists.

I understand that you're waiting for an ultimate edition or whatever. But I'd much rather pay 60$ to play this game now. It's really that good.

(45 hours+ and no real problems. I can also usually feel when the game is prolly going to crash, once every 3-4 hours or so, and save/reload to prevent it too.)

Also, I lol'd really hard at the thought of playing Fable 3 over Fallout New Vegas. Fable 3 looks pretty almost the same as Fable 2, but with the ability to be king. New Vegas on the other hand is what Fallout 3 should have been, assuming that Fallout 3 had to be made in Gamebryo in first person.  

nitnit
Captain

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:04 pm
Also. Just completed first playthrough on hardcore. Ending slides are back from FO1/2! They are just as incredible and touching as ever. You will really not mind that the game ends after seeing that your actions actually have an effect (not to mention it's crystal clear when you're going to initiate the final battle and there's no turning back)

For those of you who don't know...

In FO1/2 every town and faction you encountered had a different ending based on what you did in the game.

FO3 only showed slides for if you were good/neutral/evil, and if you activated the purifier, infected it, or had lyons do it.

New Vegas shows an overall ending based on which faction you work for, and reveals the individual fates of every town, faction, and companion you encounter. Really good stuff. I honestly believe that every reviewer who didn't finish the game (a LOT of reviewers admitted they didn't finish) probably would have rated things a bit higher had they taken the time to do their jobs and finish the game.

(and for those of you who just want to go out and shoot s**t, this game has about double the locations, monsters and quests of FO3, and far more than double the number of NPCs, written dialogue, and weapons than FO3)  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:44 pm
Just beat new vegas for the fourth time. s**t sucked  

Jonnnn

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:50 pm
you stopped being funny in this guild a long, long time ago. actually, do you do anything other than use it as a playground to try to troll people once a month or so?

(and for anyone reading this, jon and I have been talking at length about the game. from everything he said, he's been enjoying it, and is nowhere near finishing.)  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:54 pm
To be honest Fable 3 is actually a big improvement compared to Fable 2. Story, quests, alignment, and the graphics have been completely revamped. The co-op of the game is alot better now that it is not splitscreen no more.

As for waiting for a game of the year edition/ultimate edition(same thing and will happen) I do it because I really don't have the money to spend on new vegas and have to many bills to pay. I would love to play the game but other games/responsibilites are more important xP  

Tron714
Vice Captain

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:21 pm
I was mostly harping on you for spending money on Fable 3, when you could just buy New Vegas for the same amount.

I took a look at Fable 3. Looks like the story really isn't that much better. This time around, your brother is a shitty king, so you lead a revolution to overthrow him... Then you become king.

Not a bad concept, but New Vegas' story is overall much more complex (I'm assuming Fable 3 isn't going to be too deep based on the fist two games).

Combat looks like it's still going to mostly be mash attack button, and I haven't seen any examples of how quests and alignment will be improved. Even the Fable wiki says little is known about how expansive alignment will be in 3, other than that you will be able to get wings.

I assume that death still has no real penalty (or rather, there is no real dying). The new touch system... well I don't see why that's something they chose to really show off. The whole making decisions on the way to the throne, and judgments while on the throne looks cool, but judging by the first two games "deep impacting decisions", it won't be that big of a deal. Also, you can probably get equal or greater decisions in New Vegas. (Honestly, if i wanted to play a game where you shaped a community via decisions, I'd play a game that focuses on that, like Sim City"

It's your money. Just from personal experience, Fallout 3 was far superior to Fable 2 (and new vegas > fallout 3). Fable 2 was fun... but I wouldn't pay 60$ for a slightly upgraded version of it.

Let me know how it is. I have it in my gamely Q, but it's unlikely I'll be seeing it anytime soon.  
Main Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff