Reply Gaia Gun Enthusiasts
GGE's Super Happy Fun Time Knife Reviews Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:08 pm
Well I've got a couple knives I haven't said anything about yet, and I figure one can always use a good knife. Reviews will be fairly quick to the po--general consensus. If you want more information about any of them, feel free to ask.

First up: Smith & Wesson Executive folder with gold finish (also available in black).
User Image
Spotted this in a store and since I'd never seen a gold knife before and wanted a replacement for my trusty Schrade, I went with it. It holds a very sharp edge well, and locks up very tightly. Two issues: the pocket clip is open on where the blade's pointed when closed. So when drawing from the pocket, one must either turn the knife over in one's hand, or push the thumb stud partly out with one's ring finger and snap it out the rest of the way. The gold finish isn't really a glossy, shimmering, reflective one, but a brushed finish with a sort of "grain" going horizontally down the handle. Much less "pimpin" than one would expect. Also, who's the idiot that keeps thinking thumb studs should be so far down on the blade? It just gives less leverage to open the knife easily. I think it was a little under $20.

Second: Smith & Wesson Boot Knife with a spear blade (also available in a "tanto" style).
User Image
Very simple, light, two-edged boot knife. The sheath is very well stitched and durable and conforms well to the blade. It also has a strong metal clip on the back for affixing to one's belt, pants or, well, boot. $16 or so.

Third: Cold Steel FGX Battle Ring Dagger
User Image
Yeah, the whole thing is hard plastic--not even a bit of metal throughout. Cold Steel advertises it (as with everything) as a super defense weapon. And they've got a whole series of these made of "Nomet". This one feels extremely dense for plastic, and it's about as sharp as plastic can get, with a fairly impressive point. I'll be honest with you gents--I was, at one faraway time, a Narutard. About seven years ago, mhm. And since then I've wanted a "kunai" knife. And to this day, despite hating Naruto, they're damn cool knives. And I love spinning stuff on my finger. There's a metal blade version of this available, but it's $64 so ******** that. I might hang this on the shower caddy just for the lulz. These would also make "bithin" letter openers. And theoretically, one could put a pretty mean wound on anything made of flesh with this or any of the FGX blades. It's just not incredibly practical for much. $9.

Fourth and last: Kriegar Abalone Stiletto
User Image
I've just finished the anime series Bacanno! which is set in a fictitious 1930s New York centered around mobsters and alechmists and whatnot (it's grade-A stuff, by the way. Check it out, but watch it in English!) and of course I've been into the whole 30s mobster scene for a while. And I've wanted one of these knives for a while. So I thought I'd get one, but automatic knives are illegal to carry here (and I think even illegal to own...) so I went with a manual look-alike. The intention was for it to be a "dress knife" to go with my nice clothes, so it was perfect for that. Brass pieces, stainless blade, and real or imitation (how the hell would I know?) abalone, which is from some form of shellfish and looks pretty as hell. More pics:
User Image
User Image
I've never heard of Kriegar, and it was only $17, but it locks up solid and doesn't rattle a bit. Feels very secure open or closed. Feels a little odd using with such a long blade (the S&W Exec. has been my EDC knife for months) but it's really nice.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:14 pm
The stiletto's likely got real abalone on it. It's not that hard to get as far as I know.

Still wish I had been able to buy that machete I saw during the Jazz Festival. If I had had another three bucks.......  

Requiem ex Inferni

Eloquent Streaker

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:29 pm
Requiem in Mortis
The stiletto's likely got real abalone on it. It's not that hard to get as far as I know.

Still wish I had been able to buy that machete I saw during the Jazz Festival. If I had had another three bucks.......

Well I believe the abalone is only good for making jewelry stuff out of once you eat the meat part of the clam. But I had no way to tell if it was real or imitation.

What was special about the machete you saw? Was it unusual in some way?  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:41 pm
I think I'll also post some knife reviews here tomorrow.  

Buki_Actual

9,050 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Generous 100
  • Signature Look 250

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:20 pm
User Image

5.11's 2011 Collector's Edition folder. I forgot to put something in for scale, but the actual sharpened blade is 3" long. Lock-up is rock solid, the clip is removable/ambidextrous, the fat-belly curve of the blade gives it an actual cutting length longer than 3", and this thing is ridiculously sharp. I used it to cut a section of 1/4" rope the other day, and it sliced through it in a single push-motion, leaving a surgical cut behind with no fraying in the rope at all. The liner lock also has a detent on it to double in holding the knife closed as well, and once you get past that initial safety-bump, the motion is fluid and effortless. And the grip, aside from looking pretty cool, is also really comfortable.

And best of all, it was free with a $75 purchase from 5.11. mrgreen  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:58 pm
Fres, how much is that knife without the deal?

Cause I'm thinking a lot.  

ArmasTermin

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:14 am
ArmasTermin
Fres, how much is that knife without the deal?

Cause I'm thinking a lot.
That's the only way you can get it, AFAIK. They don't even tell you anything about it, nor do they have a page for it. I just threw it in because $75 was the free shipping point too, and I had $62 worth of s**t with $13 shipping, so I bought a $15 shirt on top of that for essentially $2. xd  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:31 am
I have a Benchmade Infidel on my vest, it's ******** awesome and lots of fun ******** with Iraqi children. Also waaaaay too expensive for anyone to seriously consider it.

My newest knife is a Gerber LHR. It's awesome. Great knife. Only problem is the sheath. Specifically made for a right-handed (as in it's not a lock mechanism that only works right-handed) and for a thigh rig. Despite this, it's ******** awesome. Beat a handgun down there.

Thank you verah much.  

Whence it Flows

Dangerous Elder

Valkyrie Hatter

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:57 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

No.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:18 am
User Image

lol jk jk  

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Requiem ex Inferni

Eloquent Streaker

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:32 pm
ArmasTermin
Requiem in Mortis

Well I believe the abalone is only good for making jewelry stuff out of once you eat the meat part of the clam. But I had no way to tell if it was real or imitation.

What was special about the machete you saw? Was it unusual in some way?
No, it was just cheap as hell. Only eight bucks for a real machete, and a pretty nice-looking one too. I only had five bucks, though, and I didn't think walking through downtown with a machete in tow would be a good idea.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:51 pm
Pripyat Dawn
I have a Benchmade Infidel on my vest, it's ******** awesome and lots of fun ******** with Iraqi children. Also waaaaay too expensive for anyone to seriously consider it.

My newest knife is a Gerber LHR. It's awesome. Great knife. Only problem is the sheath. Specifically made for a right-handed (as in it's not a lock mechanism that only works right-handed) and for a thigh rig. Despite this, it's ******** awesome. Beat a handgun down there.

Thank you verah much.

I was talking to a buddy of mine in the Army asking if he'd done any training on the M9 but said he didn't and hadn't even know of anyone that carried them. And also said that soldiers doing ground patrols in Afghanistan weren't recommended to carry knives because supposedly the ragheads could sneak up on them and kill them with their own knives or something. Could you comment on why people b***h about 9mm if "no one's" using handguns, or if there's any truth to ragheads killing soldiers with their own knives?

The idea of not having a knife, to me, is absurd. I don't even leave the house without one. Not having one in a war zone, I think, is akin to bringing a rifle with no ammunition.

I looked up your Gerber knife and it looks excellent. I was going to buy a Gerber 22-41121 Prodigy Survival Knife, but I kind of hate serrations on knives. I recognize their usefulness at times, but I don't really like them.  

ArmasTermin

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:10 am
ArmasTermin
Pripyat Dawn

Thank you verah much.

I was talking to a buddy of mine in the Army asking if he'd done any training on the M9 but said he didn't and hadn't even know of anyone that carried them. And also said that soldiers doing ground patrols in Afghanistan weren't recommended to carry knives because supposedly the ragheads could sneak up on them and kill them with their own knives or something. Could you comment on why people b***h about 9mm if "no one's" using handguns, or if there's any truth to ragheads killing soldiers with their own knives?

The idea of not having a knife, to me, is absurd. I don't even leave the house without one. Not having one in a war zone, I think, is akin to bringing a rifle with no ammunition.

I looked up your Gerber knife and it looks excellent. I was going to buy a Gerber 22-41121 Prodigy Survival Knife, but I kind of hate serrations on knives. I recognize their usefulness at times, but I don't really like them.
I wasnt issued an M9 either.

and Im certain the sneaking with the knife thing is a myth. if anyone was trying to sneak up on you,chances are either you or someone else is definitely going to notice him.

knife is more like a tool, but also kept around if an SOB manages to tackle you you have something to poke him with  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:47 am
Recon_Ninja_985
knife is more like a tool, but also kept around if an SOB manages to tackle you you have something to poke him with
Here's to you, Cpl. Samuel Toloza.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:44 am
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
Here's to you, Cpl. Samuel Toloza.
or go psycho with I suppose...  
Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas